News Article: SIAP: Clemson WR Justyn Ross Thinks Some NCAA Players Will Leave to Play in XFL

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You should look up the Last Week Tonight segment about Vince and the WWE. He has long been known as basically a soulless snake.
I did and I wasn’t amused

Only when it relates to wrestler contracts , and what Oliver doesn’t understand is that Vince has a good reason to keep them under “contractor” status because it only takes one jackass television tycoon to be a rival to the WWE. Maybe Oliver should really look at how close WWF came to folding after Ted Turner poured a bunch of revenge money into WCW. Oliver comes close to saying it but just stops short of it because he knows it would put a huge hole in his argument.

Oliver always tells one side of the story, but rarely the whole story.

The XFL is structured way different than the WWE and AAF. I doubt paying players and paying for insurance is an issue like it was in AAF. I also highly doubt Vince will pull the plug in the middle of a season like Dundon.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Okay, so then we are in agreement that the 'isn't a soulless snake' statement wasn't factual.

Depends on what counts as soulless, and how much of what Vince does is ethical.

Do I think Vince’s contracts make sense? Yes because all it takes is another Ted Turner to buy out his star talent and become a serious threat to his business.

Do I think Vince should offer better protections and benefits to his contractors? Yes, but he has gotten better

The problem with most people like Oliver is that they eat up everything a disgruntled ex wrestler like CM Punk says about Vince and the McMahon family without fact checking CM Punk. CM Punk has been proven to be a huge liar that wasn’t well liked in the locker room. His stories constantly change and anyone willing to hold him to his stories would figure that out.

I’m sure you can find an instant that someone could deem a soulless move that Vince did in the past, but I highly doubt Vince would buy a league, lie about your commitment, and shut it down in a blink of an eye leaving your employees with no way to get home. Vince at least finished the XFL season and paid for a years salary and medical expenses. Dundon didn’t.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Let’s face it, most college degrees are not that valuable anymore, they are the new high school diploma. So, if you can get money straight out of HS, than why not. People acting like they have to go to college now, and earn a degree, are part of the continuing problem behind the higher education mindset in this country. It’s not necessary, school will still be there if a career in the XFL/NFL falls through. Plenty of options for adults like community college, technical schools and night classes at most universities. So, I say, take the money and run, worry about school later.
I think you have this exactly backwards. The income bump from a college degree is about 56% right now. I agree that the overall earning power of a college degree has sagged, but the salary upgrade from a high school diploma is larger than ever with the erosion of the earning potential of a high school degree.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lege-grads-and-everyone-else-record/96493348/

I think the biggest point is for kids to aim for their signing bonus/salary to be at it's peak for a move to a pro-football career, since those pro careers are typically so short. But for kids who cannot play at the highest level in college AND get in/stay in a quality school, the XFL would be a good option.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Haven’t read the specifics but I agree with and like the bill that the NC congressman introduced.

I have totally changed my thoughts on paying players and am now 100% in favor of it knowing that the details are going to be messy and inequitable. Time to weed out wanna be teams and players if it happens.

my viewpoint changed when average coaches in power 5 started getting $3mm per year.

its going to have to be inequitable because schools are going to have to pick in which sports they pay players. You want your sport to get paid? You better produce revenue or great PR for your school. Top talent will generally migrate to highest paying schools just like coaches, professors, and college presidents do.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Ross is a good receiver, I wish we had signed him, but he's not AS good as we made him look. The Nick Saban defense works when you got experience in the back end, when it doesn't people are open everywhere.
We especially make them look good when DB's are getting phantom broken ankles and 5 minutes later he's ok.

From what I gather the rule is that you have to 1) possess a high school diploma and 2) be out for 3 years.
You sure on that? Baseball don't even care about diplomas, doubt much that the NFL cares about them either.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Ross is a good receiver, I wish we had signed him, but he's not AS good as we made him look. The Nick Saban defense works when you got experience in the back end, when it doesn't people are open everywhere.
I disagree. I think he is just as good as he looked in the NCG.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.