News Article: SIAP: Clemson WR Justyn Ross Thinks Some NCAA Players Will Leave to Play in XFL

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Clemson WR Justyn Ross Thinks Some NCAA Players Will Leave to Play in XFL

"If [the XFL] is offering that kind of money, that's hard for an 18- or 19-year-old to turn down," Ross said. "If you really need that money, oh yeah, go do that. Something could happen. You can get hurt. Anything can happen. You have to take care of yourself because it can be over just like that."

Just found this interesting. Not sure I buy it. But if it makes sense for any player it be someone like Ross. He seems like an obvious 1st rounder whenever he's allowed to come out so might as well make some money.

But again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
After what happened to the other league I would stay in school and work on getting a degree. I would be afraid I wouldn't get paid.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
After what happened to the other league I would stay in school and work on getting a degree. I would be afraid I wouldn't get paid.
I would too. I think it would take the perfect scenario for a player to seriously consider this.

Think they would have to be 1. An absolute star. 2. Need the money for family 3. Not have parents/family pressuring them to graduate 4. not care about college glory at all

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would too. I think it would take the perfect scenario for a player to seriously consider this.

Think they would have to be 1. An absolute star. 2. Need the money for family 3. Not have parents/family pressuring them to graduate 4. not care about college glory at all
The big difference is that there is no concern of whether or not players are getting paid in the XFL. Vince has already put the money in to pay players for 3 years. So it’s not the same situation that the AAF was dealing with.

Point is that the XFL will most likely survive for 2-3 years at a minimum

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The big difference is that there is no concern of whether or not players are getting paid in the XFL. Vince has already put the money in to pay players for 3 years. So it’s not the same situation that the AAF was dealing with.

Unless the money is in escrow, I wouldn't trust it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Vince isn’t a soulless snake like Dundon. So if they sign on then they are guaranteed the money for at least that season. Very few complaints about pay and benefits owed came up after the collapse of the 1st XFL.

It really depends on who you are if this is worth it for an under 22 year old. Are you someone that is well off academic and play exposure wise or not?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
For a long time I have wanted the NBA and NFL to have minor leagues and let guys who have no desire to continue their education or who have no business being admitted to a university have a chance to play and develop their games.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Excellent point. I would want my money guaranteed and protected.

I'd be for this and maybe it will catch on. Way, way too many players on college campuses that really don't want to be there and don't belong there.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I think some are being a little naive if you believe most of these kids are in love with college ball. It’s just what they have to do to get to the NFL.

If the XFL swoops in and starts courting NCAA players after 1 year, before they are eligible for the NFL, then I’d expect a number of guys to go ahead and take the money.

Shoot, if I was the XFL, I’d consider going after high school seniors. Why do they even need to go to college? Play a few years on the XFL, get paid, then maybe the NFL comes calling. The XFL could become more of a developmental league just by grabbing the beat talent before they are eligible for the NFL.

Let’s face it, most college degrees are not that valuable anymore, they are the new high school diploma. So, if you can get money straight out of HS, than why not. People acting like they have to go to college now, and earn a degree, are part of the continuing problem behind the higher education mindset in this country. It’s not necessary, school will still be there if a career in the XFL/NFL falls through. Plenty of options for adults like community college, technical schools and night classes at most universities. So, I say, take the money and run, worry about school later.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think some are being a little naive if you believe most of these kids are in love with college ball. It’s just what they have to do to get to the NFL.

If the XFL swoops in and starts courting NCAA players after 1 year, before they are eligible for the NFL, then I’d expect a number of guys to go ahead and take the money.

Shoot, if I was the XFL, I’d consider going after high school seniors. Why do they even need to go to college? Play a few years on the XFL, get paid, then maybe the NFL comes calling. The XFL could become more of a developmental league just by grabbing the beat talent before they are eligible for the NFL.

Let’s face it, most college degrees are not that valuable anymore, they are the new high school diploma. So, if you can get money straight out of HS, than why not. People acting like they have to go to college now, and earn a degree, are part of the continuing problem behind the higher education mindset in this country. It’s not necessary, school will still be there if a career in the XFL/NFL falls through. Plenty of options for adults like community college, technical schools and night classes at most universities. So, I say, take the money and run, worry about school later.
It’s also worth noting that one of the biggest debates surrounding college ball is the fact that most college players are broke until they get to the NFL and there is also a big debate on per diem. If Vince gets this approved then it could become a serious headache for the NCAA.

Just think a guy like Justin Tuck was only discovered by the accident of Notre Dame coaches stopping at a gas station on 280 and asking “Where is Central High school?” and not clarifying that they meant “ Phoenix City” and not “Coosa”. Had that accident not happened then Tuck would’ve probably went to a CC instead of a major football university. There are plenty of players like that. So there will be a lot of quality players that aren’t at the top willing to take some cold hard cash over going to a college like Northern Iowa, Hofstra, or UNA.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

From what I understand, the XFL already has insurance secured as well.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If Vince gets this approved then it could become a serious headache for the NCAA.
What approval does Vince need to get?

There are no laws preventing him from going after high school players or NCAA players. The NCAA can’t really stop him or the players, they can drop out of school whenever they want too.

The NFL and NCAA basically had a gentleman’s agreement to create the Junior rule. If the NFL really wanted too, they could drop that rule and go after high schoolers as well and there is nothing the NCAA can do about it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What approval does Vince need to get?

There are no laws preventing him from going after high school players or NCAA players. The NCAA can’t really stop him or the players, they can drop out of school whenever they want too.

The NFL and NCAA basically had a gentleman’s agreement to create the Junior rule. If the NFL really wanted too, they could drop that rule and go after high schoolers as well and there is nothing the NCAA can do about it.
From what I gather the rule is that you have to 1) possess a high school diploma and 2) be out for 3 years. But Vince wants to be in the good graces of the NFLPA before he implements this idea.

But if he does it then you can expect College football to change dramatically.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
That's the NFL rule, did the XFL say that they were using the same guidelines? I honestly don't know the answer.
From what I gather the rule is that you have to 1) possess a high school diploma and 2) be out for 3 years. But Vince wants to be in the good graces of the NFLPA before he implements this idea.

But if he does it then you can expect College football to change dramatically.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That's the NFL rule, did the XFL say that they were using the same guidelines? I honestly don't know the answer.
The XFL is trying to be the 3 year gap from HS to the NFL. I do remember the League that tried to fill in for the NFL during the lockout floated the same idea around but had an adverse reaction from the NFLPA about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.