Game Thread: NCAA BB Championship Game: Texas Tech vs. Virginia - Monday, April 8, 9:20PM(ET) CBS

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Chris Beard's coaching legacy at Texas Tech started under Bobby Knight

When Bobby Knight took over as Texas Tech basketball coach in 2001, the Red Raiders had won only three NCAA tournament games since 1962 and had reached the tournament only six times in that stretch.

One of the first assistant coaches Knight hired was Chris Beard, the head coach at Seminole State Junior College. He remained an assistant at the school through 2011 under Knight and Pat Knight, who replaced his father when he retired in 2008.
Knight ended up coaching part of seven years with Texas Tech, and Beard was on the staff the entire time. They took the school to four NCAA tournaments, including a Sweet 16 run in 2004-05. I was at all of those tournament games with Knight, who has long been a close personal friend.

“Yeah, I enjoyed what I was doing when I coached at Texas Tech,” Knight said this week from Bloomington, Ind. “It was an interesting situation and one we did pretty well at.”

While Knight didn’t have the same success he had at Indiana — a 662-239 record (.735) and three NCAA championships in 29 years — his .627 winning percentage was the best in Texas Tech history, with a 138-82 record.
That winning percentage has since been eclipsed by Beard (75-30, .714), who took over as head coach in 2016 and has the school in the Final Four for the first time in program history this weekend at U.S. Bank Stadium.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I like defense, so I'm excited about this matchup. I'd be surprised if it gets out of a 5 point margin at any point.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I like some defense but basketball should be about scoring. I like to see effort on the defensive side but I also want to see some effective exciting fast offenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Good to see two "new" teams in the Finals, but I will most likely pass on watching this game since I am not a fan of either team.
Really? It isn't the NFL, so why not?

(Ok, I will probably miss large parts of it. Translation: if the score is close, with 5 minutes left, maybe; if not, then I did not miss anything.)

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'll definitely be watching and hoping for a close game, which I think we'll get as I don't see either team being built to run away from the other. I really like UVA's coach, so I'll probably be for him/them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I am excited! Last NCAA basketball game of the season! The Super Bowl of college basketball. The World Series of college basketball.

And the best part is..........neither North Carolina or Duke are playing! :D

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If you are a basketball purist, you'll love this game. Kinda like an old school Alabama vs. Penn State game.

I'll be rooting for the Red Raiders cause I have several friends who are TT fans. But watching Virginia run their motion offense is a thing of beauty. It's old school basketball of understanding spaces, setting picks, cutting to the basket. It might seem boring, but they'll two point you to death and then play great defense to make you earn your bucket on the other end.

And the Red Raider will get up in the Whahoos jocks too!

Make no mistake about it, defense will win this game!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If you are a basketball purist, you'll love this game. Kinda like an old school Alabama vs. Penn State game.

I'll be rooting for the Red Raiders cause I have several friends who are TT fans. But watching Virginia run their motion offense is a thing of beauty. It's old school basketball of understanding spaces, setting picks, cutting to the basket. It might seem boring, but they'll two point you to death and then play great defense to make you earn your bucket on the other end.

And the Red Raider will get up in the Whahoos jocks too!

Make no mistake about it, defense will win this game!
I'll be watching because I like watching both of these teams because they get after it on defense and going for loose balls. They both play with effort and discipline. I'm looking forward to it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.