Ronnie Harrison fires back at CNS’s remarks

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Smh. The reason all these guys want to be in the league is money and saying it isn’t is laughable. Its the very foundation of why they leave early in the first place. RH wanted what he could get now, and made his decision. Saban simply pointed out it was the wrong one in his opinion. He was also being honest about it and he was spot on. Imo, RH knows its true imo...hence his reaction. End of the day, I’ll take the mans opinion who has given more to the players, the University, the Community , and the State than a former player who is butt hurt over his teacher telling everyone 2+2 isn’t 5.
I think the overriding point is, once the guy makes his decision and is gone. There's absolutely ZERO need for Saban to call the guy out for his decision. Regardless if Saban is right or not. Which on the subject matter itself, I agree with Saban. But there's more involved here than numbers. There's emotions, personal relationships, etc. No one likes to be called out on a massive public stage and used as an example of what not to do. Regardless if the guy doing it is right or wrong. It's called respect for someone you supposedly care about and call friend.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Smh. The reason all these guys want to be in the league is money and saying it isn’t is laughable. Its the very foundation of why they leave early in the first place.
Instead of arguing, I'll simply point out that stating generalities as fact is almost always incorrect.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
I think the overriding point is, once the guy makes his decision and is gone. There's absolutely ZERO need for Saban to call the guy out for his decision. Regardless if Saban is right or not. Which on the subject matter itself, I agree with Saban. But there's more involved here than numbers. There's emotions, personal relationships, etc. No one likes to be called out on a massive public stage and used as an example of what not to do. Regardless if the guy doing it is right or wrong. It's called respect for someone you supposedly care about and call friend.
I don’t think Coach Saban was calling RH out. He was making a point and used a draft staus to make it. Knowing Saban, it wasn’t personal, but became so to RH once his name was added to the story. Imo, I chalk it up to the press wanting it to go further than it should have. Should have Coach Saban seen this coming, probably, but he told the truth and made his point regardless, I respect that. I won’t comment on it further other than to say, I’ll take truths over feelings every time. Truths have always been a better teacher than feelings. Feelings can fade, the truth never does.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don’t think Coach Saban was calling RH out. He was making a point and used a draft staus to make it. Knowing Saban, it wasn’t personal, but became so to RH once his name was added to the story. Imo, I chalk it up to the press wanting it to go further than it should have. Should have Coach Saban seen this coming, probably, but he told the truth and made his point regardless, I respect that. I won’t comment on it further other than to say, I’ll take truths over feelings every time. Truths have always been a better teacher than feelings. Feelings can fade, the truth never does.
The press? They didn't do a single thing here.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
The press? They didn't do a single thing here.
Did Coach Saban say Ronnie Harrison at any point? If the story had never been written mentioning him, what? So, yeah, the press is included. The story had the effect it was going for btw. Here we are.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We all think that until one of our mistakes are used on a public stage by someone we call friend and/or mentor. Then we normally value respect, tact, and some form of loyalty a lot more than "truth". Truth can be communicated just as effective without embarrassing someone, especially a friend.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Did Coach Saban say Ronnie Harrison at any point? If the story had never been written mentioning him, what? So, yeah, the press is included. The story had the effect it was going for btw. Here we are.
Ronnie Harrison knew who he was talking about before the press knew.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Look at Saban's quote:

“If you’re a third-round draft pick, and we had one here last year — I’m not going to say any names — goes and starts for his team, so he’s making third-round money, which is not that great. He’d be the first guy taken at his position this year, probably, and make $15-18 million more. So, the agent makes out, the club makes out, and now they’ve got a guy that’s going to play for that kind of money for three more years.”
Saban didn't have to mention him by name. He was the only Alabama player taken in the third round.

Bring up the media if you want, but it's pretty silly.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I actually didn't associate Coach's comments with RH. I thought he was talking more about Mack W. not staying. There's little doubt he made the wrong decision.
I think this was the impetus to making that statement. He watches one guy make the wrong move and lose millions, now he's watching another one do it. Yet, some people want him to stay silent.

Of course that bothers him, why wouldn't it? And people that find it disingenuous need to consider Saban always gives his blessing to high draft picks leaving. Being specific means everyone knows exactly how much money was lost, and clearly it is millions of dollars. I think this is the only way Saban's point really sticks, because if he's being less specific a lot of people would incorrectly assume he's talking about other players that didn't lose as much, or just point to players that were drafted earlier and be like yeah that guy didn't lose out, I don't know what Saban is going on about. He used an example that's pretty much impossible to refute.

The flip side is RH might be happy he made a bad choice, but that still doesn't change it being a bad business decision.

All you have to do is watch the Prothro injury and see why guys don’t want to take the chance
I have to keep repeating this, but players are allowed to buy insurance protecting them against an injury in college (and I will add I'm a huge Prothro fan and hate that Shula had him in the game at that point, but Prothro never reached the point he got to choose being declaring and staying, had he, he could have made a choice guaranteeing his future so he didn't have to end up working at a bank) hurting their NFL stock. Also, for the record a player is no more likely to be injured in college than in the pros.

This isn't a play and you can ruin your entire future scenario necessarily. To keep repeating that is simply misleading.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I disagree with what’s mostly said here, and the whole RH thing is distracting from Nick’s
Message. Maybe he intentionally wanted to bring up RH as an example instead of speaking in hypotheticals. We know how coach loves those. But the message was intended for the trend of underclassmen declaring and not making a roster or not maximizing their opportunity. I don’t see how anyone can argue with that. Just read the twitter response on Ronnie Harrison’s tweet, about 95% support what Saban said.
The other factor in this I guess is Ronnie Harrison playing for an NFL team he grew up rooting for, maybe a childhood dream. I wonder if it would change things if he was underpaid playing for Buffalo?

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Coach's comments clearly flew over Ronnie's head. The two safeties that signed in the 1st round NOT named Minkah signed for like 7 and 9 more million that Ronnie did. Is waiting one year playing a Bama worth the difference? You bet! Fact is Ronnie cost himself money and coach pointed that out....

He only signed 4/$3.38 million, he really shafted himself and got bad advice because I don't think Coach told Ronnie that "he should go". He lost MILLIONS by leaving one year early, that one year cost him more than what he signed for.
I think I can relate to RH's frustration, but CNS is probably right. And until CNS is obviously wrong, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

But, concerning, RH maybe he didn't like school or just saw the immediate opportunity to suddenly have lots of money as better than having to wait another whole year to get even more money as being the most attractive alternative.

CNS should probably just call Ronnie and they can share a verbal "hug" and be done with this.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Look at Saban's quote:

Saban didn't have to mention him by name. He was the only Alabama player taken in the third round.

Bring up the media if you want, but it's pretty silly.
As I said, here we are. How did that happen? No discussion I’m aware of till RHs reaction to what? Btw, I’m not blaming the media per se, it’s what they do. They write/report, some times without any mention of other than what was said. Other times blanks are filled in to make a story more...interesting. And, sometimes it’s opinion over fact. Imo, it’s the second one. Again, here we are.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The flip side is RH might be happy he made a bad choice, but that still doesn't change it being a bad business decision.

I have to keep repeating this, but players are allowed to buy insurance protecting them against an injury in college (and I will add I'm a huge Prothro fan and hate that Shula had him in the game at that point, but Prothro never reached the point he got to choose being declaring and staying, had he, he could have made a choice guaranteeing his future so he didn't have to end up working at a bank) hurting their NFL stock. Also, for the record a player is no more likely to be injured in college than in the pros.

This isn't a play and you can ruin your entire future scenario necessarily. To keep repeating that is simply misleading.
So what about Marcus Lattimore? Would he lose or gain millions by listening to Spurrier and coming back?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As I said, here we are. How did that happen? No discussion I’m aware of till RHs reaction to what? Btw, I’m not blaming the media per se, it’s what they do. They write/report, some times without any mention of other than what was said. Other times blanks are filled in to make a story more...interesting. And, sometimes it’s opinion over fact. Imo, it’s the second one. Again, here we are.
So you have a problem with them reporting about a former player commenting on what his former coach said? Again, you're being extremely silly. No one was talking about what Saban said until Ronnie commented.

You're not blaming the media? Your earlier post suggests you are:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We had 1 3rd rounder in the 2018 draft (Ronnie Harrison) and said clearly said “ we had a guy last year” when referencing players without 1 and 2 round draft grades declaring early.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So what about Marcus Lattimore? Did he lose of gain millions by listening to Spurrier and coming back?
I don't know the specifics about the scenario (other than how severe his injury was), or specifically recall his projection. But, I will say if he purchased insurance he'd be made whole. So, when he was drafted in the fourth round, the insurance would cover the difference in where he was projected before his injury.

That's the key here. Once a player reaches the point they can declare for the NFL draft, and they can get a draft grade now and everything, they can immediately take that and get insurance protecting those potential earnings in case of injury. In some cases the school can even help with that. So, the choice is never between go pro or potentially lose out entirely (or significantly) due to injury.

I'd also add that if he had a first round projection and Spurrier talked him out of that, that was probably a selfish move on Spurrier's part. But here we're talking about a third round projected player hurting their earning potential by declaring early, and we've seen plenty of examples of guys staying that extra year and getting a nice bump in draft stock and earnings.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't know the specifics about the scenario (other than how severe his injury was), or specifically recall his projection. But, I will say if he purchased insurance he'd be made whole.

That's the key here. Once a player reaches the point they can declare for the NFL draft, and they can get a draft grade now and everything, they can immediately take that and get insurance protecting those potential earnings in case of injury. In some cases the school can even help with that. So, the choice is never between go pro or potentially lose out entirely (or significantly) due to injury.

I'd also add that if he had a first round projection and Spurrier talked him out of that, that was probably a selfish move on Spurrier's part. But here we're talking about a third round projected player hurting their earning potential by declaring early, and we've seen plenty of examples of guys staying that extra year and getting a nice bump in draft stock and earnings.
If the goal is to go to the NFL then goingto the NFL right away is THE ANSWER.

If the goal is making money then staying a year to improve their draft stock MIGHT BE THE ANSWER

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I have little doubt Harrison cost himself some money because his knock was that he may be a limited role DB instead of a versatile player like Minkah. He was never asked to do much more than he did from his freshman year because we had depth at corner and Fitzpatrick was the clear best overall DB so he got the versatility roles in the scheme. Imagine what Ronnie Harrison would've been doing on a defense that had some issues in the secondary in 2018? It was an opportunity to show he was more than "just a box safety."
I don't have a problem with what Coach Saban said.
Blunt, Yes, but dead on the mark. I'm blunt myself...
Coach didn't call him by name, it was Tender feelings by RH. :(
(Time he put on his big boy pants, and admit he could have been wrong)
Talking like a thug is a major turn off to everybody who is not a thug.
IMO... RH took it personal because he knew it was the truth.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.