Ronnie Harrison fires back at CNS’s remarks

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Haven't read the whole thread but I have a hard time not siding with Ronnie here.
I betcha somebody (social media person) will notify CNS about how this is playing out on social media. It wouldn't surprise me if CNS doesn't reach out to Ronnie and smoothe it over, at least with him. Whether he re-addresses the issue publicly is anybody's guess.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I betcha somebody (social media person) will notify CNS about how this is playing out on social media. It wouldn't surprise me if CNS doesn't reach out to Ronnie and smoothe it over, at least with him. Whether he re-addresses the issue publicly is anybody's guess.
I honestly don't think Saban, or his wife for that matter, are completely adverse to saying something a bit controversial to get people's attention and try to address an issue. I'm completely willing to give Saban the benefit of a doubt here, in that as 230 pointed out, we're talking about guys leaving set for life money on the table for, pretty good but if you get hurt it's really not that much money. How many times should he watch it happen before he takes a bigger stand, and yes catches a lot of heat? He wasn't vague, but that's the only reason we're talking about it right? I know he's made similar comments on the past but this is the first time he used a particular example and here we are.

We could probably single out an Alabama player a year who does something like this, and Saban could in turn have done the same but he didn't. I imagine if he says anything further it will include elaborating further on the problem as he sees it. On the flip side, I still haven't seen anything about RH's agent in all of this and I'm really curious as to if he wanted RH to take the quick buck or more in the long term. That's a massive factor in this because that's what determines if this was RH just doing what he wanted, or getting bad advice, in which case Saban's statements are even more pressing. The fact that as far as I've seen RH didn't clarify everyone told him to stay indicates some people wanted him to take the quick buck for some reason...

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
The decision to leave (or not) is obviously an individual one. Coach obviously thinks RH, like many who might be considering going pro after the 2019 season, should have stayed to maximize his earnings.

Is it selfish that Coach wanted him to stay mostly for RH's sake but also for the team's sake? Probably, but Coach's record on this matter is and has always been clear: if you're a top grade after 3 years, we'll do everything possible to help you attain a high draft order. If you're less than graded high, we'll do everything possible to help you reach that status over the next year.

When guys are graded 3rd round or lower and leave early, Coach thinks that's not smart. Most of us agree. However, if a guy wants to take mediocre $$$ (relative to what he could get 12 mo later), then that is on him and nobody but him (and his family if that's in play) has to deal with those consequences - good or bad.
The interesting thing to me is that in a number of publications, he did have a second round grade... he just went in the third round. A round grade is not precise and can depend on a variety of factors.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...scouting-report-for-jacksonville-jaguars-pick

http://draftanalyst.com/ronnie-harrison-0

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-safety-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

https://steelcityblitz.com/2018-draft-prospect-profile-safety-ronnie-harrison/

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2...file-no-46-alabama-s-ronnie-harrison/a5kmujn/

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
and allegedly he was given a second round draft grade according to TideSports. So by the argument of 1st or 2nd round grade, he should have gone last yer as he did.
Saban said "second or third round grade" actually.

Now, I'm not in Saban's head but his example was turning down a chance at a top 15 pick for the second or third round.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Saban said "second or third round grade" actually.

Now, I'm not in Saban's head but his example was turning down a chance at a top 15 pick for the second or third round.
if that is the case, then I have to think I would side with the player. Not many are going to be top 15 picks if they only have a 2nd or 3rd round grade the prior year. There may be one or two that could elevate themselves this way, but it would not be commonplace. In other words, odds are they aren't going to achieve that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
if that is the case, then I have to think I would side with the player. Not many are going to be top 15 picks if they only have a 2nd or 3rd round grade the prior year. There may be one or two that could elevate themselves this way, but it would not be commonplace. In other words, odds are they aren't going to achieve that.
I don't think you listened to the audio.

As I recall, Saban said that he had 6 or 7 guys that did exactly that (which sounds like a lot more than 1 or 2), this is literally what he said. He also said, and anyone who listened to this would know, that he believed RH would be #1 at his position in this draft. So, the basis for Saban's statements is it worked for 6 or 7 guys but he believes it would have worked for more if they hadn't left early.

Last edited:

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
I don't think you listened to the audio.

As I recall, Saban said that he had 6 or 7 guys that did exactly that (which sounds like a lot more than 1 or 2), this is literally what he said. He also said, and anyone who listened to this would know, that he believed RH would be #1 at his position in this draft. So, the basis for Saban's statements is it worked for 6 or 7 guys but he believes it would have worked for more if they hadn't left early.
So far, I am not seeing many folks picking safeties in the top 15 this year, many don't have one being selected in the top 20. Most have the first safety going in the 25-35 range. Are you saying that Saban had 6-7 guys last year that would have gone in the top 15 if they had stayed an extra year. That would have meant half would have moved from 2nd or 3rd round to being top 15 picks in the 2019 draft?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Are you saying that Saban had 6-7 guys last year that would have gone in the top 15 if they had stayed an extra year. That would have meant half would have moved from 2nd or 3rd round to being top 15 picks in the 2019 draft?
First off, I'm just quoting Saban. Secondly, I'm doing your homework for you since you decided to pick side without even listening to what Saban said. Third, obviously Saban was speaking of his time at Alabama. Dude, you were way off. You seemed to think people were talking about going in the second round when they weren't, then you said Saban's comments could only apply to 1 or 2 when he specified 6 or 7. Just listen to it...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's pretty easy to side with RH, until...
You get the smart words spewing out of his mouth.
Coaches are gonna wonder; do I have to handle him with kid gloves?
OR
Is he gonna go off on me in the media if I say something he doesn't like?

That's when spouting off could come back and bit him on the kiester.

There are enough men going into the NFL that coches have a pick of players.
Talking like a thug could cost him in the long run.

I'm pretty sure RH's comment was made in the heat of the moment.
Possibly instigated by someone RH thought of as a friend.

Sadly anyone who failed to realize Coach Saban's comments were directed at RH, found out pretty quick when RH put it out there for everybody.
(That was not RH's finest moment)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'll say this since I've taken Saban's side on all of this.

I think RH made a poor choice, but I don't judge him for it. I don't judge him for his comments either. He's the one that has to pay a price, and I think it's a substantial one. It looked up numbers for the first second rounder taken and the last one, and the difference in guaranteed money is about 3.7 million. From 5.7 to 2 million. That's nearly triple the guaranteed money. The total difference in pay is such that he'd need to make over 3 million a year on his next contract (not likely, average pay is 2.7 and 25% of juniors never make it to a second contract) to not lose money in the long term, and I'm looking at a slightly better contract. So, the business decision part, I get Saban's point. RH could have purchased insurance, stayed another year, and made quite a bit more.

He didn't though. And he's a adult chasing his dream. It doesn't mean he lacks common sense, it doesn't mean he's a thug (nothing I know of him justifies the use of that word). He just made a choice and while Saban had every right to question the business decision aspects of it, RH had every right to make that choice without us making this about more than just a financial choice.

Last edited:

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
Is it possible that CNS has a different view from RH II on the relative value of money as it relates to "exceptional wealth" vs. "substantial wealth"?

(FTR, IMO:
1) CNS general point is correct
2) CNS said what he said intentionally, with a specific purpose
3) CNS should have made his comments more opaque, but was probably concerned they would not have the impact he desired
4) RH II can and did make his own decision, and it may have not have been a terrible one
5) RH II himself should have "kept CNS out his mouth"
6) The press can be blamed for lots and lots, but not this. These were comments made by CNS, at A PRESS CONFERENCE). He literally was using a press platform for his purpose

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't want to drudge up any unpleasantness, but I figured out this number today and I think it illustrates Saban's position as well as anything else could.

The difference in guaranteed money and the total value of the contract from the last first rounder taken (I did last instead of first since the money can get crazy higher up) to the last second rounder taken is greater than the last second rounder taken to the last player taken overall. To put that into numbers, the difference from 32 to 64 is far greater than the difference from 64 to 256!

So, to simplify it as it applies to RH, it is a bigger loss to be taken in the third when you could have been taken in the first the next year, than to fall all the way to the seventh round. That's why Alabama usually advises their players to return if they're not first rounders, because you're not risking much and you have a lot to gain. The last first rounder taken got 8 million guaranteed, RH got 1.6 million guaranteed. He didn't have much to lose, but he had a lot to gain.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.