Ronnie Harrison fires back at CNS’s remarks

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I actually didn't associate Coach's comments with RH. I thought he was talking more about
Mack W. not staying. There's little doubt he made the wrong decision.
Mack Wilson probably has that result heading his way. I hope he at least turns it into a starting job and works towards a 2nd contract pay day.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
You have to make decisions on probability, history, what’s most likely to be a result of your decision, etc. The “I could be injured next season” logic in a game that is a developmental sport where men play it better than boys, is really not rational thinking and decision making. You get one chance at your first contract....why would any reasonable decision include taking that chance when you are not as prepared as you could be? Because I want some money instead of the better chance to get a lot more if I better develop myself to play in this men’s league?

In addition to MW, what about Sauvignon Smith’s decision to leave early? Is there any doubt in anyone’s mind that his decision to declare for the NFL draft was very likely not the best decision? I think it’s s clear sign of someone in his ear giving bad advice.

Last edited:

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
In addition to MW, what about Sauvignon Smith’s decision to leave early? Is there any doubt in anyone’s mind that his decision to declare for the NFL draft was very likely not the best decision? I think it’s s clear sign of someone in his ear giving bad advice.
That might be the best auto-correct ever.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You have to make decisions on probability, history, what’s most likely to be a result of your decision, etc. The “I could be injured next season” logic in a game that is a developmental sport where men play it better than boys, is really not rational thinking and decision making. You get one chance at your first contract....why would any reasonable decision include taking that chance when you are not as prepared as you could be? Because I want some money instead of the better chance to get a lot more if I better develop myself to play in this men’s league?

Savion made the decision he needed to make. He wasn’t playing over Diggs and Surtain this year.

Probably better for Saban, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I don’t like how either one have handled it. That said CNS started it and there was know reason to. He could have made the same point without narrowing it down. All you have to do is watch the Prothro injury and see why guys don’t want to take the chance. A lot of us have know idea what they’ve been through in life and having money, any money, is too tough a pull to walk away from. It’s their life and their decision. It is what it is as someone is so fond of saying.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
This is hard for me because I am the guy that rubber stamps and nod my head to everything Coach says but I can get why Ronnie would be a little upset. Wish he would have been more vague with the description of the person in the example. Last thing I want is for former players to have to choose sides of who they support in this discussion. I hope Coach Saban reaches out to him, and they have a conversation, before some reporter "with an agenda" does a smear job on us.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Some guys really don't are about how much money is in the bank - if they have enough to live on and are living their dream, who cares?

Saban isn't perfect and screwed up on this one. RH has every right to call Saban out for it, IMO.

RH is a grown man and made his own decision. CNS needs to respect that by - at a minimum - being less specific when he talks about this stuff.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Like has been said, coach should have not brought RH into this discussion. CNS is usually very intentional about everything he says and says it with purpose. One wonders if the relationship with RH was already severed based on CNS's comments and RH's response.

Coach needs to contact RH and get this straight.

My take is that Coach was/is frustrated - not just because he wanted RH back and we could definitely have used him - but moreso because he thinks RH got bad advice from the noise that surrounds top players and wants underclassmen to see that if you're getting a 3rd round grade as a jr, you'll probably get a 1st round as a senior and there is a real money difference.

RH believes he did what was right for him and I don't disagree (not that our opinion matters one iota but it's what we're here for ... to opinionate!)

Just unfortunate he got sideswiped in this discussion.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t like how either one have handled it. That said CNS started it and there was know reason to. He could have made the same point without narrowing it down. All you have to do is watch the Prothro injury and see why guys don’t want to take the chance. A lot of us have know idea what they’ve been through in life and having money, any money, is too tough a pull to walk away from. It’s their life and their decision. It is what it is as someone is so fond of saying.

I’m kinda here on this. They both could’ve handled it better. I think RH didn’t make near as dumb of a decision as folks think. Another year in college could’ve hurt him worse than helped him.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

All that makes sense about the probability, until you have a teammate have it happen to them, i.e. Eddie Jackson, and you're probably hearing from some folks you're good enough to get drafted higher (which he was, since he ended up starting), and not really listening to the advice of others saying you might not be that high of a pick this year.

That said, the lesson is still there that the players should probably choose who to listen to a bit more carefully. There's a reason Saban keeps the program so open to scouts and it's to get their honest feedback about all the players and where they stand.

With Smith, he was going to lose his starting job anyway so he had nothing to gain by staying. He'd already lost the job to a true freshman and the only reason he got it back was due to Diggs going down. With Diggs back and Jobe coming on strong, and Surtain on the other side Smith was, at best, the 4th corner and was not looking at much playing time.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Like has been said, coach should have not brought RH into this discussion. CNS is usually very intentional about everything he says and says it with purpose. One wonders if the relationship with RH was already severed based on CNS's comments and RH's response.

Coach needs to contact RH and get this straight.

My take is that Coach was/is frustrated - not just because he wanted RH back and we could definitely have used him - but moreso because he thinks RH got bad advice from the noise that surrounds top players and wants underclassmen to see that if you're getting a 3rd round grade as a jr, you'll probably get a 1st round as a senior and there is a real money difference.

RH believes he did what was right for him and I don't disagree (not that our opinion matters one iota but it's what we're here for ... to opinionate!)

Just unfortunate he got sideswiped in this discussion.
I’m thinking this was a heated battle in regards to him staying or going and this was an, “I told you so” moment. By being so specific it has the aura of bro g personal to Coach, something we aren’t accustomed to from him.

Ronnie needs to step back and realize that him staying another year and making more money on his contract is mutually beneficial, not just beneficial to the football program. Typical response from someone who did get drawn into the idea of a quick payday now.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ronnie needs to step back and realize that him staying another year and making more money on his contract is mutually beneficial, not just beneficial to the football program. Typical response from someone who did get drawn into the idea of a quick payday now.
Or maybe RH is perfectly fine making a few million over the next few years doing what he loves right now instead of later. RH has given more than most anyone on this forum ever will to the FB program - likely more than any of us will ever even know - so maybe, just maybe he knows what's best for him.

RH wasn't the one out of line here - who are we to question his decision?

I do question Saban on this one - he comes off as if the only reason to be in the game is money.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Coach's comments clearly flew over Ronnie's head. The two safeties that signed in the 1st round NOT named Minkah signed for like 7 and 9 more million that Ronnie did. Is waiting one year playing a Bama worth the difference? You bet! Fact is Ronnie cost himself money and coach pointed that out....

He only signed 4/$3.38 million, he really shafted himself and got bad advice because I don't think Coach told Ronnie that "he should go". He lost MILLIONS by leaving one year early, that one year cost him more than what he signed for.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Or maybe RH is perfectly fine making a few million over the next few years doing what he loves right now instead of later. RH has given more than most anyone on this forum ever will to the FB program - likely more than any of us will ever even know - so maybe, just maybe he knows what's best for him.

I do question Saban on this one - he comes off as if the only reason to be in the game is money.
I wonder if in the decision making process (where Saban is discussing with player/parents and other affiliated parties) if things got heated because of differing opinions? It just sounds like this was personal with Saban, something we RARELY are privy to. It's not like this was the first time a player went against Saban's advice regarding leaving early. But this is the first time I know of that Saban calls someone out individually for it.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
All that makes sense about the probability, until you have a teammate have it happen to them, i.e. Eddie Jackson, and you're probably hearing from some folks you're good enough to get drafted higher (which he was, since he ended up starting), and not really listening to the advice of others saying you might not be that high of a pick this year.

That said, the lesson is still there that the players should probably choose who to listen to a bit more carefully. There's a reason Saban keeps the program so open to scouts and it's to get their honest feedback about all the players and where they stand.

With Smith, he was going to lose his starting job anyway so he had nothing to gain by staying. He'd already lost the job to a true freshman and the only reason he got it back was due to Diggs going down. With Diggs back and Jobe coming on strong, and Surtain on the other side Smith was, at best, the 4th corner and was not looking at much playing time.
Regarding the decision-making process, what you're really talking about is downside risk. Making the decision on pure probability assumes an infinite number of trials, or at least a statistically significant number of them.

That assumption doesn't hold in the decision to go to the NFL. There, you have one and only one shot. And if you pass it up at the end of your junior year, then blow out your knee during your senior year, you go from a 3rd rounder making several million dollars a year to a UDFA just hoping to make the team. You can, however, mitigate that risk with an insurance policy.

To illustrate with a ridiculous extreme: Suppose you have a choice: You have a one-time chance to draw a card. You have a 75% chance of winning $1 Billion, but a 25% chance of nothing. Or take $50 million and walk away. The draw has an expected value of $750 million (75% of $1 Billion). So pure probabilities would heavily favor taking the draw.

But it's only one chance, the downside risk is huge, and $50 million is still generational money. So I'd probably take the 100% chance of $50 million, rather than risk a 25% chance at being a working stiff for the rest of my life. But that's just me...others might see it differently.

So I understand both Harrison's position and Saban's.

As others have alluded, I wonder if there's something personal behind this. Saban essentially publicly naming Harrison, and Harrison firing back the way he did. Neither looks good here, and one explanation would be that emotions are involved.

Last edited:

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005

Smh. The reason all these guys want to be in the league is money and saying it isn’t is laughable. Its the very foundation of why they leave early in the first place. RH wanted what he could get now, and made his decision. Saban simply pointed out it was the wrong one in his opinion. He was also being honest about it and he was spot on. Imo, RH knows its true imo...hence his reaction. End of the day, I’ll take the mans opinion who has given more to the players, the University, the Community , and the State than a former player who is butt hurt over his teacher telling everyone 2+2 isn’t 5.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I understood the point that Saban was making and it made sense to me. I was little surprised that he dropped hint about the RH. This might be related to Mack Wilson, Deionte Thompson, Adrian Hubbard, and Savian Smith.

I don't think he was throwing shades at RH... and I think RH overreacted.... he is always the guy who was emotional. Give him few days and he will apologize...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.