Link: Oats Discusses Roster on JOX

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Coach Oats hinted that he still may have too many bigs for what he wants to do. Says he likes to play four-out-one-in or even five-out.
Maybe too many, if counting Watford as a big. I'd hate to see Smith or Fleming leave and he has the new commitment listed as 6-9. I also wonder if there will be times and match-ups when he will want to play two big men...this may just muddy up his system.

I am still worried about the need for a 2nd point guard. Watford would make a full scholarship roster so someone else would need to leave if a point guard is brought in.

Does Watford have an outside shot?

I keep thinking of the Villanova team Bama played in last year's NCAA's.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Coach Oats hinted that he still may have too many bigs for what he wants to do. Says he likes to play four-out-one-in or even five-out.
Maybe too many, if counting Watford as a big. I'd hate to see Smith or Fleming leave and he has the new commitment listed as 6-9. I also wonder if there will be times and match-ups when he will want to play two big men...this may just muddy up his system.

I am still worried about the need for a 2nd point guard. Watford would make a full scholarship roster so someone else would need to leave if a point guard is brought in.

I'm OK with the "Spread", but we need to have some shooters!

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

The thinking is we may see some transfers due to guys not fitting the new system. I wouldn't be surprised to se as many as three spots open up based off of the oversatuation of some positions and the difference in style.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I think we're gonna see a refreshing change with this coach and staff. I really think the kids are gonna respond well to coach Oats.
Good to see some of the recruits he's getting as well.
Our roster is gonna look so different.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think some will get the message they won’t get much court time and decide to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
How we gonna play defense down low with no bigs on the floor?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
How we gonna play defense down low with no bigs on the floor?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
The game is evolving. Look at UVA and Texas Tech. Both were the top rated defenses, and they built around long, athletic bigs instead of the more cumbersome PF/C model. My guess is that if Oates could build his dream team, he wants his 4th man to be a 6-7 or 6-8 stretch forward. Someone tall enough to guard the post, but athletic enough to spread the floor.

You’ll probably also see more varying defenses in his style. Avery tended to stick with the NBA model of man-to-man at all cost. Whereas coaches like Oates who build around athletic/undersized teams tend to play with more pressure. Haven’t watched his teams play, but I’d be willing to bet they played more up-tempo zones than mtm. If that’s the case, I’d find it refreshing. Not to speak ill of the fired, but Avery’s defenses were about as fresh as last year’s gym shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
All I got to say is that our guys got some conditioning work to do...
Yep, this says it all:

"It's rooted in hustle, hustle, hustle -- as reflected in the Bulls' superior offensive rebounding and perimeter defense -- and above all, racking up possessions per game."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.