2019-2020 Roster

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I like the attitudes of Giddens and Wood continuing to practice with the team even after they met with CNO and all agreed best to move on. Also, appears Oats never even talked to Mack.

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketbal...bama-roster-changes-tevin-mack-situation.html
This makes me think even moreso that Mack already had his mind made up that he was leaving regardless of the NBA route. I truly believe that CNO is going to have this as a solid winning program before it's all said and done.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
We mostly agree. Here is my top 5 with backups. Obviously there will be various combinations that could be played so this is mostly a starting lineup.

1. Kira Lewis (Beetle Bolden)
2. John Petty (Jaylen Forbes, Jaden Shackelford)
3. Herb Jones (Juwan Gary)
4. James Rojas (Alex Reese)
5. Galin Smith (Javian Davis-Fleming, Raymond Hawkins)

My guess at the starting 5:

1. Kira Lewis
2. Beetle Bolden
3. John Petty
4. Herb Jones
5. Galin Smith

Positional Rotations

1. Bolden/Lewis (one will likely be in at all times)
2. Jaylen Forbes/Jaden Shackelford
3. Juwan Gary/Jaylen Forbes
4. James Rojas/Alex Reese
5. Alex Reese/Javion Davis-Fleming/Raymond Hawkins

This is my opinion. We really won’t know anything until practice gets underway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
https://twitter.com/cecilhurt/status/1133811046022602752?s=21

Love this guy more and more everyday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This new coach of ours ain't afraid to say what he thinks...kinda reminds me of another coach... ole what's his name! :wink:

I don't know about a starting lineup, because it sounds like CNO is breaking these boys down and is going to build them back up. Regardless of who starts, I'm mostly interested in seeing who, among our returning roster, has improved the most.

Before the latest about Mack, he would have been my guess, but it sounds like he's out. Next on my list, in no particular order, is: John Petty, Herb Jones and Alex Reece.

If Reece can adapt to the newer fast pace, he could make some huge leaps forward. For a big man, he plays more like a small forward. Reece shoot the 3 well and I think that will improve.

If John Petty ever gets some real confidence in his shooting back, with improved fundamentals (especially dribbling and passing) he could have a big offensive year.

If Herb Jones can develop a mid-range jumper he would be a beast. I'm not as confident about his shooting abilities (last year he was a brick layer), but I figure CNO will figure out the best way to use him.

I'm not fogetting Kira Lewis, but he was our most complete player last year until being 17 caught up with him late in the season. With improved physical and mental conditioning, he'll be even better this year.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Good note, Moon. At the risk of turning this into a generational discussion ... it's surprising that the three scholarship athletes you singled out, all playing at the highest collegiate level of their sport, still have such fundamental holes in their games. John Petty is not a consistent shooter and labors at dribbling and passing. Herbert can't shoot. Alex has the lateral movement of a concrete block. It will fascinating to see how much improvement they can make. We really haven't seen effective player development since the C.M. and Wimp eras. Coach Nate says he's a teacher. We're all about to see how good he is at that job.

This new coach of ours ain't afraid to say what he thinks...kinda reminds me of another coach... ole what's his name! :wink:

I don't know about a starting lineup, because it sounds like CNO is breaking these boys down and is going to build them back up. Regardless of who starts, I'm mostly interested in seeing who, among our returning roster, has improved the most.

Before the latest about Mack, he would have been my guess, but it sounds like he's out. Next on my list, in no particular order, is: John Petty, Herb Jones and Alex Reece.

If Reece can adapt to the newer fast pace, he could make some huge leaps forward. For a big man, he plays more like a small forward. Reece shoot the 3 well and I think that will improve.

If John Petty ever gets some real confidence in his shooting back, with improved fundamentals (especially dribbling and passing) he could have a big offensive year.

If Herb Jones can develop a mid-range jumper he would be a beast. I'm not as confident about his shooting abilities (last year he was a brick layer), but I figure CNO will figure out the best way to use him.

I'm not fogetting Kira Lewis, but he was our most complete player last year until being 17 caught up with him late in the season. With improved physical and mental conditioning, he'll be even better this year.

Last edited:

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
CNO interview with WVUA.

Link
I liked the part where he was talking about CNS being great about helping with recruiting. To paraphrase: They had a recruit in earlier this week and he (CNS) was great. It went great. The mother was ready to sign right there.

Good insight to the recruiting trip to Quinerly. Already rumblings of how well the trip went. Guess this confirms it.

Edit: Finished listening to the clip. Very good interview! Lots of good info about the roster changes. Sounded VERY positive about Quinerly and said everybody else can talk about how good things were looking, but he couldn't. Also mentioned that Rojas is still finishing classwork. Took some classes online expecting to be at Buffalo. In changing to SEC, had to retake in classroom due to league rules not allowing online (I think he said science, math, etc). Worth taking time to listen as other good info as well, but I can't remember it all.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I liked the part where he was talking about CNS being great about helping with recruiting. To paraphrase: They had a recruit in earlier this week and he (CNS) was great. It went great. The mother was ready to sign right there.

Good insight to the recruiting trip to Quinerly. Already rumblings of how well the trip went. Guess this confirms it.

Edit: Finished listening to the clip. Very good interview! Lots of good info about the roster changes. Sounded VERY positive about Quinerly and said everybody else can talk about how good things were looking, but he couldn't. Also mentioned that Rojas is still finishing classwork. Took some classes online expecting to be at Buffalo. In changing to SEC, had to retake in classroom due to league rules not allowing online (I think he said science, math, etc). Worth taking time to listen as other good info as well, but I can't remember it all.
Yeah, would definitely recommend others listening as well. Good stuff. The situation with Mack was telling ... CNO alluded to the fact that he may not be receiving sound advice unfortunately. Either way it goes, wish him the best.

I'm just really excited about this team potential in the upcoming season. If they buy in and play to their potential (key word is 'if'), we should be in for a really fun and productive season.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Article summarizing CNO's statements about Rojas:

“He’s not going to be able till August, like for the fall. He won’t be here this summer,” Oats said Thursday. “The SEC has a rule that your math, English and science have to be taken in class and he had taken some of those classes online, planning to come to us at Buffalo.

“I guess some of the classes just work out better where he went to junior college at Hutch. He took them online, so they always had their guys take them online. We didn’t necessarily plan on being in the SEC, so now that he wants to play for us in the SEC, he’s got to take some of those classes sitting in a chair and so he’s got to do that over the summer. He’s finishing up his course work over the summer, and then he’ll be with us in the fall.”
https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Basketball-Nate-Oats-explains-why-James-Rojas-wont-join-the-Crimson-Tide-until-August-132443850/

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Me too. we will be in tournament no more bubble.
I'd temper my enthusiasm just a bit.

Realistically, I think in year one we'll have a few growing pains....maybe similar to 2007 in football. Don't think that I'm saying I don't feel good about CNO, or that I think he won't be successful, but if we are a bubble team next year I don't think that's a bad sign in his first year.

Optimistically, I think CNO's teaching and coaching ability gets us another 3-5 wins instead of losses and that gets us in the tourney very comfortably. And the biggest thing I'll be watching is how we are playing near the end of the SEC regular season and tourney. Under CAJ we typically played our worst basketball and faded during the end of the season. I'm hoping this is one of the big trends CNO helps us break!

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Exactly. He wants to run a high speed, three-point heavy offense with a team that currently has a dearth of ball-handlers and shooters. We will play faster. We will guard baseline to baseline. That doesn't mean we will win from the start.

Realistically, I think in year one we'll have a few growing pains....maybe similar to 2007 in football. Don't think that I'm saying I don't feel good about CNO, or that I think he won't be successful, but if we are a bubble team next year I don't think that's a bad sign in his first year.

Optimistically, I think CNO's teaching and coaching ability gets us another 3-5 wins instead of losses and that gets us in the tourney very comfortably. And the biggest thing I'll be watching is how we are playing near the end of the SEC regular season and tourney. Under CAJ we typically played our worst basketball and faded during the end of the season. I'm hoping this is one of the big trends CNO helps us break!

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I dig what you are saying. When Avery came on board I was super excited as well. Mainly, it had to do with is presence, polished speaking ability and NBA pedigree. It wore out quick, real quick. But this is different. Two months after Oats is hired EVERYTHING about the program seems have changed. He lets his actions speak. He has a tremendous track record. Roster is totally revamped. I mean, I think this guy is the real deal. Now, I don't expect us to win the SEC next season. I don't even expect a tournament berth. But, I do expect to see a totally different brand of Basketball from the individual players and the whole team in general. I already have plans to go see a couple of early games and posting on this board more that I ever have in the past. So I have swallowed this thing, hook, line and sinker!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Do I think we are going to win the league next year? No, but I think we have enough talent to make the tourney fairly comfortably if we can schedule well early in the year. Here is what I see from the outside looking in.

1)We will be in much better shape physically- I never thought we had a decent strength coach in years past and was disappointed when Avery chose to keep Coach Lou as a holdover from Grants tenure. We always seemed to have injuries no one else was having.
2) We are absolutely relentless on the recruiting trail and not only with Pettway. Coach Oats is keeping his face in front of recruits as well.
3)We'll play a system kids will like and want to play in. I am not sure anyone in the conference will play as fast as Coach Oats states he want to play. His Buffalo team averaged over 84 points a game. I don't think we scored than many more than 4 or 5 times last year.
4) I think he is a heart a teacher and it shows. He comes from a teaching background so I think he can translate the system to the players. We had trouble with that issue in the past.
5) Last, but certainly not least, he will demand accountability from the players and his staff that has been sorely lacking. You can't have a kid commit a turnover and then pat him on the butt. Kids learn from their mistakes more than their successes.

I simply have different feel than I had with the previous coaches and I think this is my 5th coach since I've been going to games. Honestly, I've made the mistake of drinking the kool aid before, but I think this time we may have finally gotten it right. RTR.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
What I am saying I think we will a decent season I know we will some growing pains I think time we get in our SEC schedule they will gel.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
What I am saying I think we will a decent season I know we will some growing pains I think time we get in our SEC schedule they will gel.
I feel your sentiments, I think we all see the possibilities in what this team and coaching staff can accomplish. Anything is possible in a season of basketball, we could very well have everything go our way CNOs first season and have a deep run in the tourney, but the best case scenario is for everyone to buy in to the program and play to the best of their abilities consistently (without major injuries). If this team is able to do that then we should have a productive and successful first year. And also see some guys go pro in the process.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm excited too. I'm a believer in Oats already. All I was referencing earlier is year one in a program doesn't always translate into instant success.

In the long run...I think we have much better success, but he's got to change the culture and recruit (which in 2 months he's done a great job of already).

Could this year be special (win around 25 games and win a game or two in the tourney)? Yes, but it all depends on how the players adapt to his vision. But I think after next year making the tourney and winning 25 games a year should become the norm.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I want to see a team that will improve as the season goes along and will hustle each game like it's the last game they will play. I believe this coaching staff will teach our players how to win. It will be a process just like in football. We will play teams with bigger and better players but we should win a few of those games because of coaching. The W's will take care of themselves. I look forward to Bball season. It will be a fun ride.

LegionField

1st Team
Sep 21, 2004
AL
I want to see a team that will improve as the season goes along and will hustle each game like it's the last game they will play. I believe this coaching staff will teach our players how to win. It will be a process just like in football. We will play teams with bigger and better players but we should win a few of those games because of coaching. The W's will take care of themselves. I look forward to Bball season. It will be a fun ride.
Yea.....we’ve kind of lost that feeling with the football program.....the fun of the initial building of the program. I’m not complaining, mind you, but it will be a fun ride!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.