2019-2020 Roster

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ironically, CAJ had recruited a roster that is a good fit for CNO's desired style of play. We are a little heavy on bigs, but Kira and most of our 2s, 3s, and 4s really fit CNO's system. One thing I'll never understand is why didn't CAJ run a more uptempo pace???
He didn't know how to coach it. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolden doesn't fill one of the ?s. I hear he's visiting this weekend...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He didn't know how to coach it. ..
Evidently, but just running 5 man drill (3 on 2), 3 man weave, 5 man weave drills would have helped.

I wanted to puke when we'd have 3 on 2 or even 3 on 1 and most of the time we'd not convert, make a bad pass and sometimes not even get a shot off.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Evidently, but just running 5 man drill (3 on 2), 3 man weave, 5 man weave drills would have helped.

I wanted to puke when we'd have 3 on 2 or even 3 on 1 and most of the time we'd not convert, make a bad pass and sometimes not even get a shot off.
It was weird ... we've discussed how CAJ perhaps gave the players to much faith/trust in their skills and approached coaching like it was an NBA team. It was evident that trusted them to know the fundamentals. But for whatever reason they had challenges executing it during real game experiences. Seems like the practices should involved more active coaching and repetition than theory and explanation (which you see more with NBA teams).

Its a novel approach but that technique unfortunately hasn't been successful with any college program that I can name. Coach Cal has tried it at a few times at UK with his one-and-done talent but always has to come back to actually 'coaching' them when they don't progress during the season.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

It's because practice didn't include many drills. It was primarily walk-through and shoot-around.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice thread and all good points. Another big difference in the new regime is that Coach Nate really believes in the off season program. Teams really are built in the off season and him bringing in his own strength coach for BB specific training really should make a difference in the athletes we see on the court next season.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Coach Oats mentioned that he wants to play four-out-and-one-in and even five-out on offense. Would Watford be considered an outside player?

I would not like to see Smith leave. He is the only experienced inside player right now and should still be improving as he will be a junior. There is always the potential for injuries and for foul trouble in games. Unless something changes, it looks like there are three bigs; a true freshman, a red-shirt freshman, and a junior.

Many of us lose sight on the fact that most players improve as they mature through their years in college. We focus so much on incoming freshmen that have immediate impact and seem to think that players have maxed out by the time they are sophomores. Sometimes a player's numbers are down early because there are better, more experienced players ahead of them but I suspect that most of the time the numbers improve because the player improves.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I like Smith and my guess is he stays. I don't think he is great fit for CNO's preferred system but there will be times when we will need to go big and play a half court game and Smith would be needed for that. I suspect the comment that CNO made about having too many bigs could have possibly been aimed at Giddens to indicate that he was definitely not returning. Given that Fleming is apparently coming back it would seem to indicate that CNO has given him the green light so it apparently wasn't aimed at him. Nothing that I've heard up to this point has indicated that Smith is considering transferring so it would seem to me that he is safe. We have room for Watford and Beetle Bolden so if we continue to recruit other players that are eligible immediately then that would seem to indicate that someone will be leaving or they are backup plans if we don't sign either of those 2.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It's because practice didn't include many drills. It was primarily walk-through and shoot-around.
Which makes what he did late this past season even more crazy when he shortened practice to save the players legs. If they weren't practicing all that hard to begin with then the shorter practice wouldn't have made a difference.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Which makes what he did late this past season even more crazy when he shortened practice to save the players legs. If they weren't practicing all that hard to begin with then the shorter practice wouldn't have made a difference.
That was because He and Wimp has become friends, and Wimp’s philosophy was to always shorten practice in February and March. So, Wimp suggested it to CAJ. However, Wimp and his staff seemed to teach a little more than CAJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
Anyone else spending more time on the Basketball threads than the Football threads like we used to?? This is getting interesting!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I expect Beetle Bolden to commit to us this weekend. I think he takes Wood’s spot. If Trendon doesn’t come (it isn’t looking great, based on some info that I received) then I expect us to sign James Rojas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you share that info?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.