Huntsville, AL
  1. James "Beetle" Bolden - Sr Grad Transfer - PG
  2. Alex Reese - Jr - PF/SF
  3. Galin Smith - Jr - C/PF
  4. Herb Jones - Jr - SF
  5. John Petty - Jr - SG/SF
  6. James Rojas - Jr - PF
  7. Kira Lewis - So - PG
  8. Jahvon Quinerly - So - PG (Sit 1, Play 3 unless he receives a waiver from the NCAA)
  9. Javian Fleming-Davis - RFr - C
  10. Jalen Forbes - Fr - SG/SF
  11. Juwan Gary - Fr - SF
  12. Jaden Shackleford - Fr - SG
  13. Raymond Hawkins - Fr - C

A lot of turnover since this was first posted. Giddens and Ingram announced they were transferring right away which opened up a scholarship for us to get a commitment from Raymond Hawkins for some much needed inside help. Then Diante Wood announced he was transferring which opened up a spot for Beetle Bolden. We desperately needed another PG so that was a huge pickup for us. Trendon Watford wound up signing with LSU so we signed JUCO transfer James Rojas who I think will be a day 1 starter and will wind up being a very good player for us. Tevin Mack originally declared for the draft but left the option open to return to school. He then said he was coming back to school but would be transferring somewhere else. We signed transfer PG Jahvon Quinerly to fill the spot that was opened up with Mack's transfer. Quinerly has applied for a waiver but will probably have to sit 1 year and then have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

When I look at the turnover and the final roster results I'm amazed at how quickly Coach Oats moved to fill the gaping holes and more important, how effectively he filled those holes. He was able to keep certain players from transferring (Lewis and Petty), he kept the 3 signees that xCAJ had signed, and then he brought in 2 PG's and 2 interior guys. One of the most important things a coach has to do is manage his roster properly and my initial impression of CNO is that he will do an outstanding job of roster management.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Freshmen will make up around half of the roster for this upcoming season and only one senior. I hate to see it but some additional defections may be necessary not only to get the players needed to fill specific roles and positions but also for balancing the classes.

Holes usually open up but at the moment, this would allow for one recruit next season if Watford commits to Bama. Maybe that is too much to worry about right now...

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Oates also made a comment that more defections could come as players learned whether they were a fit or not for his system. He also made a comment about the team having a few too many bigs.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2019/4...all-roster-crimson-tide-roster-2019-2020-team

Wouldn’t surprise me if Galin Smith enters the portal soon. He and Giddens were prototypical musclemen who couldn’t shoot and didn’t hustle. Appears that CNO didn’t make a move to keep Giddens, so very possible he pushes Smith towards other opportunities as well.

Aside from that, I like how the roster is shaping up. Hopefully the guys buy-in and Oates turns out to develop players as well as his reputation indicates. We should have a better chance at the tourney next year with a few breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Oates also made a comment that more defections could come as players learned whether they were a fit or not for his system. He also made a comment about the team having a few too many bigs.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2019/4...all-roster-crimson-tide-roster-2019-2020-team

Wouldn’t surprise me if Galin Smith enters the portal soon. He and Giddens were prototypical musclemen who couldn’t shoot and didn’t hustle. Appears that CNO didn’t make a move to keep Giddens, so very possible he pushes Smith towards other opportunities as well.

Aside from that, I like how the roster is shaping up. Hopefully the guys buy-in and Oates turns out to develop players as well as his reputation indicates. We should have a better chance at the tourney next year with a few breaks.

I wouldn't say that Smith doesn't hustle, he's just slow and not very athletic (can't jump) and there is just not much that can be done about that. I think at the end of the season he was a better inside player than Donta was. Donta never worked to improve his game. He was a dunker and shot blocker when he arrived and that is what he was his career ended. Galin had developed a bit of inside scoring ability but in a fast-paced attack that I expect CNO to run I just don't see Galin fitting in very well. If he is willing to be a situation role player than can come in for those times when we have to play at a slower pace then I think he would still have a role on the team.

I saw a tweet a few days that made me think that Javian Fleming-Davis is considering transferring. It wouldn't surprise me to see him wind up at Tennessee Tech with John Pelphrey. That is just a guess, I have no inside information it is based on a couple of tweets that I've seen.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I wouldn't say that Smith doesn't hustle, he's just slow and not very athletic (can't jump) and there is just not much that can be done about that. I think at the end of the season he was a better inside player than Donta was. Donta never worked to improve his game. He was a dunker and shot blocker when he arrived and that is what he was his career ended. Galin had developed a bit of inside scoring ability but in a fast-paced attack that I expect CNO to run I just don't see Galin fitting in very well. If he is willing to be a situation role player than can come in for those times when we have to play at a slower pace then I think he would still have a role on the team.

I saw a tweet a few days that made me think that Javian Fleming-Davis is considering transferring. It wouldn't surprise me to see him wind up at Tennessee Tech with John Pelphrey. That is just a guess, I have no inside information it is based on a couple of tweets that I've seen.
Fair point. I wasn’t referring to lack of hustle as a negative. More so as a guy who wouldn’t fit a fast paced offense. Smith is a back to the basket plodder. Sounds like Oates wants to obsolete that kind of player from the roster.

Sounds like you and I meant the same thing, you just worded it better than I did.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Thinking these two players may in the convo as well:

1. Javian Fleming-Davis - RFr - C
  2. Dianta Wood - RFr - SG/SF

I know JFD was mentioned previously because he's used to a slower-paced offense. All of it will play out eventually. I'm just really hoping we land Watford.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Fleming and Galen are the obvious ones. One person I talked to even thought Fleming was already in the portal.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Thinking these two players may in the convo as well:

1. Javian Fleming-Davis - RFr - C
  2. Dianta Wood - RFr - SG/SF

I know JFD was mentioned previously because he's used to a slower-paced offense. All of it will play out eventually. I'm just really hoping we land Watford.
Watford is a big get because he seems like a versatile big that really would make this offense hum. Kira is an ideal guard for this offense. Watford is your ideal power forward.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Watford is a big get because he seems like a versatile big that really would make this offense hum. Kira is an ideal guard for this offense. Watford is your ideal power forward.
And Watford UNDERSTANDS how to not only play with his teammates but make them better ... he has a good understanding of the game. Could be the difference that makes it to the first two rounds of the tourney verses a team that can make a competitive run in the tourney

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Diante Wood is in the transfer portal. I'll leave his name on the roster until he is officially gone although I suspect that is a pretty much a given. This would open up a spot for the PG grad transfer from WVU (Beetle).

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
How does guys leaving/being pushed out effect our APR rating?

Also, Coach Oats needs to be careful about “pushing” guys out. That is what got Goff fired as our baseball coach. Obviously a 100% different situation but, all it takes is one kid to complain BAMA is not honoring a scholarship. (Oats can boot a kid from the team but, they keep their scholarship.)

Hoping we get Wattford. We have a nice nucleus returning with Kira, Petty, Jones, Mack, Reese. Add in our 3 early signees, Hawkins and hopefully Wattford, we could have a nice rotation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How does guys leaving/being pushed out effect our APR rating?

Also, Coach Oats needs to be careful about “pushing” guys out. That is what got Goff fired as our baseball coach. Obviously a 100% different situation but, all it takes is one kid to complain BAMA is not honoring a scholarship. (Oats can boot a kid from the team but, they keep their scholarship.)

Hoping we get Wattford. We have a nice nucleus returning with Kira, Petty, Jones, Mack, Reese. Add in our 3 early signees, Hawkins and hopefully Wattford, we could have a nice rotation.
Completely different situation than Goff because this is common place in basketball. About 800 players have transferred over the last two years.

As far as APR, there's nothing really to be done because it's such a common thing in basketball.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I hope this works out well for Wood. I had (have) no idea what to expect from him as a player. If he gets a waiver or goes to a lower division school he can play next year, otherwise, he will be in college his 3rd year before getting to play.

As far as Bama's roster is concerned, this looks like a good move if the two openings are filled by the players being mentioned or maybe someone else that can fill a needed role on the team.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Completely different situation than Goff because this is common place in basketball. About 800 players have transferred over the last two years.

As far as APR, there's nothing really to be done because it's such a common thing in basketball.
Is APR even a thing any more? I know they still track it but I don't hear nearly as much about it as I did a few years ago.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is APR even a thing any more? I know they still track it but I don't hear nearly as much about it as I did a few years ago.
It is. Judging by this graphic for the 2017 rankings released in May 2018, men's basketball's average is the worse out of every sport. Click

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

True ... its similar to how you have attrition in football when the previous coach has set up a program with players to play a pro style and then the new coach switches the program to a spread offense or the triple option ...

We're switching from a slow-paced halfcourt set offense to a high-pace offense ... talent-wise some of the guys we currently have will be better suited in a program that runs a slow-paced offense. It's nothing negative, just one of the things that comes along with coach turnover.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We're switching from a slow-paced halfcourt set offense to a high-pace offense ... talent-wise some of the guys we currently have will be better suited in a program that runs a slow-paced offense. It's nothing negative, just one of the things that comes along with coach turnover.
Ironically, CAJ had recruited a roster that is a good fit for CNO's desired style of play. We are a little heavy on bigs, but Kira and most of our 2s, 3s, and 4s really fit CNO's system. One thing I'll never understand is why didn't CAJ run a more uptempo pace???

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.