Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

I've been wondering why no official announcement...good info, thanks. I much prefer home/home over neutral site games. Part of the allure is going to a new game day atmosphere. I cherish my experiences in T-town, Knoxville, and Tallahassee to name a few. I miss Lincoln.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Live with them and youíll start to love sharing a state with Auburn fans. Nebraska fans are about the dumbest and most obnoxious fans Iíve ever been around. Tradition be derned I donít want to ever see them on our schedule ever again.
    I've been around a few and think you are right.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    I miss Lincoln.
    I don't. Though I will say Omaha is really a nice city to be in from May- July.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; April 28th, 2019 at 09:57 AM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I've been around a few and think you are right.
    TBF Their 55 and up fans are some of the best that youll meet, and what many older fans here remember and think highly of their fanbase. But I think all the blown championship runs in the 80's, the run in the 90's, and the drought since has made some of the worst fans you'll find in this country. The only worst fans Ive met are Michigan and UGA fans.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

I've been wondering why no official announcement...good info, thanks. I much prefer home/home over neutral site games. Part of the allure is going to a new game day atmosphere. I cherish my experiences in T-town, Knoxville, and Tallahassee to name a few. I miss Lincoln.
    I hate that these games are pushed so far out into the future. One of my most favorite football memories, even though it ended in disaster for us, was that 2002 game in Norman. You guys jumped out to a big lead, but then we mounted a comeback for the ages. Rinaldo Works (and an untimely Watts fumble) did us in at the end, but that was still an amazingly fun game. We held our own the next year in Tuscaloosa as well, despite being very out manned.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Announcement from UGA and OU may be delayed because they are attempting to be matched in Atlanta and Dallas neutral site games in 2023 and 2031. Which is what they should do. Split year H/H scheduling is stupid.
    What is stupid about playing games in your own stadium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I hate that these games are pushed so far out into the future. One of my most favorite football memories, even though it ended in disaster for us, was that 2002 game in Norman. You guys jumped out to a big lead, but then we mounted a comeback for the ages. Rinaldo Works (and an untimely Watts fumble) did us in at the end, but that was still an amazingly fun game. We held our own the next year in Tuscaloosa as well, despite being very out manned.

You are absolutely correct. Based on talent alone, those OU teams should have beaten us soundly both times, yet both games were very close.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post

I think (hope) he meant the 8 year gap H/H. That is stupid.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I think (hope) he meant the 8 year gap H/H. That is stupid.
    I agree on that point. If you are doing home/home, it should be in consecutive years or no more than two years apart.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Based on talent alone, those OU teams should have beaten us soundly both times, yet both games were very close.
    The gap was severe in 2003, Mike Shula's first season. But we were not that far apart in 2002. We had NFL talent all along the DL: Kindal Moorehead, Jarrett Johnson, Kenny King, and Antwan Odom. These all may not have been 10 year NFL starters, but they were all talented enough to be drafted and make rosters. I remember Johnson having a long career with the Ravens. We had guys like Justin Smiley, Evan Mathis, Wesley Britt, and Alonzo Ephraim on the OL. Smiley and Mathis had productive NFL careers. So at least the lines were well matched. Then we just had a lot of gutsy guys like Watts, Ahmad Galloway, Lane Bearden, Charlie Peprah, etc.

That was a really tough, blue collar, hard nosed team. Which makes me hate that HC all the more as I type all this out, for the way he did them in at the end of the season. Dishonorable doesn't even begin to describe. Forgive my tangent.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Anything other than consecutive years is stupid.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Conjecture on my part about the neutral site games, but I can't imagine what else would be holding up the announcements.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I think Oklahoma would be a better fit for the Big Ten than the SEC. You could get Nebraska back as an annual opponent.

I agree. The Iowa State connection already puts them in Big 10 territory also. Any future additions to the SEC are likely to come from North Carolina, Virginia, or some other state that was once part of the Old South/confederacy. Oklahoma does not fit that bill and will likely follow Texas anyway.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings