Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 79 to 91 of 101
  1. #79
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I agree. The Iowa State connection already puts them in Big 10 territory also. Any future additions to the SEC are likely to come from North Carolina, Virginia, or some other state that was once part of the Old South/confederacy. Oklahoma does not fit that bill and will likely follow Texas anyway.
    They might as well kick Texas and West Virginia out and make bring back the Big 8 again. Texas is a cancer and can easily go independent and West Virginia is more of an ACC school.

  2. #80
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,802

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    They might as well kick Texas and West Virginia out and make bring back the Big 8 again. Texas is a cancer and can easily go independent and West Virginia is more of an ACC school.
    there would be no profitability in that. The Big XII needs Texas more than any other team.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

  3. #81
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    there would be no profitability in that. The Big XII needs Texas more than any other team.
    Leverage at its finest. Doesn’t change the fact that they ran Nebraska and A&M out. Texas will always be a cancer.

  4. #82
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,373

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Leverage at its finest. Doesn’t change the fact that they ran Nebraska and A&M out. Texas will always be a cancer.
    That's because they can afford to be.


    A buxom skinny woman with money has her pick of men.
    Trailer park trash takes what it can get.


    That's just reality.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  5. #83
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,802

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Leverage at its finest. Doesn’t change the fact that they ran Nebraska and A&M out. Texas will always be a cancer.
    and I'm thanking the good lord everyday that they exposed the stupidity of Nebraska.

    But on a more serious note, the Big 8 would've never survived in the modern era without a merger with Texas or the Big 10. Missouri was the only one with lucrative markets. So it would've folded like the Big East once someone started slipping checks to the bigger market teams.


    On a side note, I'm kinda curious of why everyone has this sympathy for Nebraska but not Missouri. Missouri ACTUALLY STARTED the defection from Texas, and actually had a deal with the Big 10 until Nebraska undercut them. Missouri and Colorado in truth were the most affected by the LHN, not Nebraska or aTm.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; May 5th, 2019 at 09:41 AM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

  6. #84
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,373

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    and I'm thanking the good lord everyday that they exposed the stupidity of Nebraska.

    But on a more serious note, the Big 8 would've never survived in the modern era without a merger with Texas or the Big 10. Missouri was the only one with lucrative markets. So it would've folded like the Big East once someone started slipping checks to the bigger market teams.


    On a side note, I'm kinda curious of why everyone has this sympathy for Nebraska but not Missouri. Missouri ACTUALLY STARTED the defection from Texas, and actually had a deal with the Big 10 until Nebraska undercut them. Missouri and Colorado in truth were the most affected by the LHN, not Nebraska or aTm.
    The Big 12 itself was an arranged marriage. The SWC was dying because: a) corruption; b) Arkansas left, making it "The Texas Conference," no teams outside the borders of the Lone Star State.

    Their merger AT THE TIME was the right move. And the Big 8 was never more than the Big 3 AT MOST and that depended upon Colorado being a good team, which they were post-1984 for awhile but not always.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  7. #85
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    and I'm thanking the good lord everyday that they exposed the stupidity of Nebraska.

    But on a more serious note, the Big 8 would've never survived in the modern era without a merger with Texas or the Big 10. Missouri was the only one with lucrative markets. So it would've folded like the Big East once someone started slipping checks to the bigger market teams.
    The Big 8 was doing just “fine” (Yes I know the Big 2-Little 6) before the Big 12 merger. It was the SWC that was in free fall. However I get that they eventually would of had to expand and the only place to go was into Texas. Did anyone ever really think though that Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M would leave the Big 12? I certainly did not.

  8. #86
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,802

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

    Their merger AT THE TIME was the right move. And the Big 8 was never more than the Big 3 AT MOST and that depended upon Colorado being a good team, which they were post-1984 for awhile but not always.
    I think it might be more than a coincidence that the downfall of Nebraska as a true power started to happen once they had to join a conference with more than 1 team to play, and Oklahoma suddenly goes on a pretty much a 20 year run of dominating the BIG XII. All the Big XII did was strengthen Texas and Oklahoma's recruiting bases and weaken everyone else. I think the only teams to benefit from the merger were Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

  9. #87
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,802

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    The Big 8 was doing just “fine” (Yes I know the Big 2-Little 6) before the Big 12 merger..
    The Big East was doing just "fine" as well until the ACC started slipping Miami and VT money. The problem with the Big 8 is that it was living off the KC and St Louis markets, and whoever got Missouri would've crippled the Big 8. The Big XII was an effort to keep everyone together, and be able to survive if Missouri was gobbled up by some other conference. Keep in mind that TV markets were becoming more and more important so power conferences were starting to base membership off of that in the 90's.

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Did anyone ever really think though that Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M would leave the Big 12? I certainly did not.
    Yes especially Missouri and Colorado. The Cornshuckers are the dumbest of the dumb for bolting to the Big 10 given their situation, and to be honest the LHN and TEXAS had little to no effect on their situation. Colorado and Missouri are fertile recruiting grounds in the Midwest, and Texas airing HS games for top recruits really affects Missouri and Colorado a hell of a lot more than Nebraska. Point is Nebraska had no business whatsoever in leaving the Big XII, but Colorado and Missouri did.

    As for aTm, its really tricky. I think Stallings being on the BOT really made it an inevitable depending on the mood at the time, and ultimately that was the case. But aTm usually just flirted around to get Texas to give them a better cut, so it was always a 50/50 kinda thing of staying and going.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; May 5th, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

  10. #88
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The Big 12 itself was an arranged marriage. The SWC was dying because: a) corruption; b) Arkansas left, making it "The Texas Conference," no teams outside the borders of the Lone Star State.

    Their merger AT THE TIME was the right move. And the Big 8 was never more than the Big 3 AT MOST and that depended upon Colorado being a good team, which they were post-1984 for awhile but not always.
    The SWC was already a corpse for 4 seasons after Arkansas left and was finally buried in 1996. Had there been Internet and social media I’m sure a lot more teams due to corruption would’ve been given the death penalty other than SMU.

  11. #89
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beautiful Cullman, AL
    Posts
    17,503

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    If the egos could have been managed, the Big 12 would have been a long lasting success. They needed to have split Texas and Oklahoma into separate divisions, and made the RRS an annual crossover game (like Alabama vs. Tennessee). This would have accomplished two things: separate the two richest and most influential programs to balance the league, and protect one of the biggest rivalries in college football, Nebraska vs. Oklahoma. When times are lean, at least in college football, you fall back on tradition. That's your anchor. When you destroy tradition and the inevitable hard times come, it's much easier to bail.

    Granted this is all so easy to say in hindsight. At the time, in 1996, Oklahoma was trash and was getting destroyed by 70 points against Nebraska each year. I'm sure they wanted no part of that game on an annual basis if they could avoid it. Nebraska was probably more than happy to have Oklahoma and Texas on the other side of the league, figuring they'd always run roughshod over the weaker North division. I know things seemed balanced in those days because Colorado was a tough team that was giving Nebraska far more competition than Oklahoma. Missouri was decent. Bill Snyder had built up Kansas State. The North was seen as the stronger division, actually, but most of that was because of Nebraska being in the midst of its historic run.

    The problem with the Big 12 was the members always thought about and desired what was best in the moment, and not what would ensure a strong future. They were the quintessential spoiled rich kid that spent all of his dad's inheritance instead of investing in the stock market. In the end, it was doomed from the beginning. But I'm a child of the 1990s, so there's a lot of nostalgia there for me. I wish they could have held it together.

  12. #90
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The Big East was doing just "fine" as well until the ACC started slipping Miami and VT money. The problem with the Big 8 is that it was living off the KC and St Louis markets, and whoever got Missouri would've crippled the Big 8. The Big XII was an effort to keep everyone together, and be able to survive if Missouri was gobbled up by some other conference. Keep in mind that TV markets were becoming more and more important so power conferences were starting to base membership off of that in the 90's.


    Yes especially Missouri and Colorado. The Cornshuckers are the dumbest of the dumb for bolting to the Big 10 given their situation, and to be honest the LHN and TEXAS had little to no effect on their situation. Colorado and Missouri are fertile recruiting grounds in the Midwest, and Texas airing HS games for top recruits really affects Missouri and Colorado a hell of a lot more than Nebraska. Point is Nebraska had no business whatsoever in leaving the Big XII, but Colorado and Missouri did.

    As for aTm, its really tricky. I think Stallings being on the BOT really made it an inevitable depending on the mood at the time, and ultimately that was the case. But aTm usually just flirted around to get Texas to give them a better cut, so it was always a 50/50 kinda thing of staying and going.
    Well Miami and Virginia Tech were great fits for the ACC. IMO the ACC has always been better that the Big East. Now before everyone was on TV the game was much more regionalized, that I can acknowledge. I highly doubt the SEC was looking to take Missouri in the early 90’s though. I just hate that the old rivalry games from the Big 8 and SWC are now gone.

  13. #91
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    If the egos could have been managed, the Big 12 would have been a long lasting success. They needed to have split Texas and Oklahoma into separate divisions, and made the RRS an annual crossover game (like Alabama vs. Tennessee). This would have accomplished two things: separate the two richest and most influential programs to balance the league, and protect one of the biggest rivalries in college football, Nebraska vs. Oklahoma. When times are lean, at least in college football, you fall back on tradition. That's your anchor. When you destroy tradition and the inevitable hard times come, it's much easier to bail.

    Granted this is all so easy to say in hindsight. At the time, in 1996, Oklahoma was trash and was getting destroyed by 70 points against Nebraska each year. I'm sure they wanted no part of that game on an annual basis if they could avoid it. Nebraska was probably more than happy to have Oklahoma and Texas on the other side of the league, figuring they'd always run roughshod over the weaker North division. I know things seemed balanced in those days because Colorado was a tough team that was giving Nebraska far more competition than Oklahoma. Missouri was decent. Bill Snyder had built up Kansas State. The North was seen as the stronger division, actually, but most of that was because of Nebraska being in the midst of its historic run.

    The problem with the Big 12 was the members always thought about and desired what was best in the moment, and not what would ensure a strong future. They were the quintessential spoiled rich kid that spent all of his dad's inheritance instead of investing in the stock market. In the end, it was doomed from the beginning. But I'm a child of the 1990s, so there's a lot of nostalgia there for me. I wish they could have held it together.
    The only problem was that the Oklahoma schools were the furthest south in the newly formed Big 12. One way or another the annual rivalries were going to be stopped no matter who was placed in the south region. IIRC they did not do a permanent cross division rival. Big mistake.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

2019 NFL Draft Gear