Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: Alabama, Oklahoma announce future home-and-home

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    The SWC was already a corpse for 4 seasons after Arkansas left and was finally buried in 1996. Had there been Internet and social media Iím sure a lot more teams due to corruption wouldíve been given the death penalty other than SMU.
    Four seasons passed, but the merger was already in the works in February 1994.

And what brought about the merger? Why ABC Sports, of course.

They offered both conferences a TV deal - and then offered to sweeten the pot if they merged. Furthermore, that's also what helped destroy the WAC, which was already NOT a major conference.

The Big 12 even held out the carrot for BYU, which was the only "real" name in the WAC back in 1994. And the Big 8 WAS, in fact, more lucrative nationally than the SWC for a rather obvious reason: the entire SWC was in Texas.

Oh btw - in typical Texas fashion, the head of the SWC at the time strenuously DENIED any merger was going to happen.....and five days later the merger was announced.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

The only problem was that the Oklahoma schools were the furthest south in the newly formed Big 12. One way or another the annual rivalries were going to be stopped no matter who was placed in the south region. IIRC they did not do a permanent cross division rival. Big mistake.
    Yeah, they would have had to ignore geography. But as I've thought through it, you are right, there was no way every rivalry could have been saved, unless they had 2 protected crossover games each year. Which is exactly what the SEC did in the beginning. If you'll recall, we had Tennessee and Vanderbilt every year for several years before we dropped Vandy as an annual opponent.

Anyway, I thought it was a great league back in the day. It was never going to last with every ounce of power concentrated in one division though.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Yeah, they would have had to ignore geography. But as I've thought through it, you are right, there was no way every rivalry could have been saved, unless they had 2 protected crossover games each year. Which is exactly what the SEC did in the beginning. If you'll recall, we had Tennessee and Vanderbilt every year for several years before we dropped Vandy as an annual opponent.

Anyway, I thought it was a great league back in the day. It was never going to last with every ounce of power concentrated in one division though.
    It is a good thing the B1G hasn't done that....oh wait.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Such an easy fix for a permanent cross division game they simply ignored.

Yes Texas and OU for sure made it top heavy but I highly doubt anyone foresaw just how far Nebraska would fall let alone the fact they would eventually leave the conference for the Big Ten. 7 out of Nebraskaís first 8 seasons in the Big 12 (minus 2002) ranged from National Champions to at the very least respectable. After that they became like an Ole Miss. Mediocre to very bad. Looking back on things, Iíve always felt like Texas was the main girlfriend for Oklahoma while Nebraska was more like a very good looking side chick but would never get the ring.

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Its official...Georgia will play OU in Norman in 2023 and OU will visit Athens in 2031.

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Well at least the geography backs it up.

Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    Its official...Georgia will play OU in Norman in 2023 and OU will visit Athens in 2031.
    Why so long in between?!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    You're right. But my counterpoint on that would be at least those institutions have nearly a century of history to hold them together. The West has a ton of history together and several rivalries. Yes, the core of the historical power base is in the East with Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. Even Michigan State probably has as much or more historical power than say, Wisconsin. But they were still splitting up a conference than had been together since the 1900s. Whereas the Big 12 was a shotgun marriage of two conferences. The Big 12 needed to have preserved a lot more history than they did.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

You're right. But my counterpoint on that would be at least those institutions have nearly a century of history to hold them together. The West has a ton of history together and several rivalries. Yes, the core of the historical power base is in the East with Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. Even Michigan State probably has as much or more historical power than say, Wisconsin. But they were still splitting up a conference than had been together since the 1900s. Whereas the Big 12 was a shotgun marriage of two conferences. The Big 12 needed to have preserved a lot more history than they did.
    The big 10 actually fixed the conference from the original Leaders-Legends setup. Could you imagine back to back weeks of Michigan-Ohio St? They just didnít take into account about how horrible Nebraska would become without Missouri.... but otherwise the East-West thing works perfectly.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Why so long in between?!
    2034 was the only other year OU had open. Would still have been split if they had used that instead of 2023.

2019: @UCLA
    2020: TENNESSEE
    2021: NEBRASKA
    2022: @ NEBRASKA
    2023: GEORGIA
    2024: @TENNESSEE
    2025: MICHIGAN
    2026: @ MICHIGAN
    2027: L.S.U.
    2028: @ L.S.U
    2029: NEBRASKA
    2030: @NEBRASKA