BBC: First ever black hole image released

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Astronomers have taken the first ever image of a black hole, which is located in a distant galaxy.

It measures 40 billion km across - three million times the size of the Earth - and has been described by scientists as "a monster".

The black hole is 500 million trillion km away and was photographed by a network of eight telescopes across the world.
First ever black hole image released

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Scientists get first ever picture of a black hole

This is absolutely amazing. Very hard to wrap my brain around this concept. So powerful not even light can escape it? Simply amazing.

That's because black holes are notoriously hard to see. Their gravity is so extreme that nothing, not even light, can escape across the boundary at a black hole's edge, known as the event horizon. But some black holes, especially supermassive ones dwelling in galaxies’ centers, stand out by voraciously accreting bright disks of gas and other material. The EHT image reveals the shadow of M87’s black hole on its accretion disk. Appearing as a fuzzy, asymmetrical ring, it unveils for the first time a dark abyss of one of the universe’s most mysterious objects.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Makes me sad that Stephen Hawking wasn't able to see this.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Veritasium nailed it with yesterday's video. Fascinating viewing bending your mind around this

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
This is very cool! It looks eerily similar to other black holes I’ve seen.

It’s hard for me to wrap my head around something 6.5 billion times the size of the sun when the sun weighs 333,000 times as much as earth.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

To be more accurate, it's the picture of the event horizon of a black hole. I haven't looked at the video above, but that may be explained...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That is an excellent video. I had wondered why it would present as a disk, when it's obviously a sphere and, then, after seeing it, why it was brighter on one side. It's an optical illusion in the truest sense of the word. It's amazing how closely they nailed what it was going to look like...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

That is an excellent video. I had wondered why it would present as a disk, when it's obviously a sphere and, then, after seeing it, why it was brighter on one side. It's an optical illusion in the truest sense of the word. It's amazing how closely they nailed what it was going to look like...
That's probably the craziest part of this to me. Pretty incredible.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

awesome when predictions based on well reasoned study and the scientific method come true isn't it?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Who has the Ring? We must destroy the one ring to rule them all. Sauron is coming!!!!

Blue

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

awesome when predictions based on well reasoned study and the scientific method come true isn't it?
It is. However, sometimes more knowledge comes in the end from nasty surprises... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.