Ouch! Wife gets foot run over by power chair at Publix...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We are having a run of these kind of things. Last fall, I got hit head on while stalled turning in the left lane into our church by a woman who said she "looked down briefly" and had 500' to see me and stop. I have surgery for a foot bone spur removal scheduled for Friday and some dummy in a power chair runs over my designated driver's foot. Worse, I have to look at ceaseless commercials about "distracted drivers" by the law firm which has threatened to sue me for every penny I have for having the audacity of being hit by their distracted driving client while sitting still. What next? :rolleyes:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
We are having a run of these kind of things. Last fall, I got hit head on while stalled turning in the left lane into our church by a woman who said she "looked down briefly" and had 500' to see me and stop. I have surgery for a foot bone spur removal scheduled for Friday and some dummy in a power chair runs over my designated driver's foot. Worse, I have to look at ceaseless commercials about "distracted drivers" by the law firm which has threatened to sue me for every penny I have for having the audacity of being hit by their distracted driving client while sitting still. What next? :rolleyes:
Distracted driving pops up again. My daughter got rear ended in Tuscaloosa while she was stopped at a red light by a distracted driver. They’re making you watch distracted driver videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Distracted driving pops up again. My daughter got rear ended in Tuscaloosa while she was stopped at a red light by a distracted driver. They’re making you watch distracted driver videos?

He's probably referencing the Wettermark Keith distracted driver commercials.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The one I remember is bad enough. It consists of realizing I can't finish my turn because someone has pulled up and blocked the drive, glancing to see the perp's cartop over the rise 500' away, turning away to my turn problem, thinking "no prolem - they'll see me and my situation," and then looking up to see her 30' away, going full speed - no skid marks. Yet she's suing me! After the nastygram from her law firm, you can imagine what I think of them. Also, my claim rep tells me that, somehow, her admission of looking down, has been removed from the police report they submitted to St. Farm. I have the original. When this all settles out, there's going to be some hell to pay for someone...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The one I remember is bad enough. It consists of realizing I can't finish my turn because someone has pulled up and blocked the drive, glancing to see the perp's cartop over the rise 500' away, turning away to my turn problem, thinking "no prolem - they'll see me and my situation," and then looking up to see her 30' away, going full speed - no skid marks. Yet she's suing me! After the nastygram from her law firm, you can imagine what I think of them. Also, my claim rep tells me that, somehow, her admission of looking down, has been removed from the police report they submitted to St. Farm. I have the original. When this all settles out, there's going to be some hell to pay for someone...
People suck. The “lady” that hit me tried to deny fault. Witness’ shot her story down pretty, quickly and her insurance settled out of court. Because of her and her insurance I had to get a lawyer. I had no intention of getting a lawyer and just dealing with her insurance, but they decided to fight me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
People suck. The “lady” that hit me tried to deny fault. Witness’ shot her story down pretty, quickly and her insurance settled out of court. Because of her and her insurance I had to get a lawyer. I had no intention of getting a lawyer and just dealing with her insurance, but they decided to fight me.
You were probably better off in the end with an attorney. At least, that's the usual case. In my accident I mentioned, what matters is what she told the officer, since the accident report is not admissible anyway. OTOH, if someone were involved in tampering with an official document, there will be consequences...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You were probably better off in the end with an attorney. At least, that's the usual case. In my accident I mentioned, what matters is what she told the officer, since the accident report is not admissible anyway. OTOH, if someone were involved in tampering with an official document, there will be consequences...
Sorry to hear about your wife's foot, Earle! I work hard at navigating through stores whenever I go shopping. I know I have posted in the Pet Peeve thread about this, as well as others. It never ceases to amaze me how egocentric people are, although given the era of narcissism we are in, it should come as no surprise!

As to your rear ended accident - I TRULY hope you take them to the cleaners! I'm sure you have a very good personal injury lawyer to help you. If you were here, I could refer you to a friend of mine who helped my parents back in 2006 when they were t-boned up in Daytona. He did a great job helping my folks.

So - tonight on World News Tonight the story about the lady who ran into the back of the DOT official - they said she was "distracted" - the same term you are using here.

Is that just a generalized way of saying 'she was on her cell phone'? I thought it was odd they didn't specify in tonight's news story.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sorry to hear about your wife's foot, Earle! I work hard at navigating through stores whenever I go shopping. I know I have posted in the Pet Peeve thread about this, as well as others. It never ceases to amaze me how egocentric people are, although given the era of narcissism we are in, it should come as no surprise!

As to your rear ended accident - I TRULY hope you take them to the cleaners! I'm sure you have a very good personal injury lawyer to help you. If you were here, I could refer you to a friend of mine who helped my parents back in 2006 when they were t-boned up in Daytona. He did a great job helping my folks.

So - tonight on World News Tonight the story about the lady who ran into the back of the DOT official - they said she was "distracted" - the same term you are using here.

Is that just a generalized way of saying 'she was on her cell phone'? I thought it was odd they didn't specify in tonight's news story.
To clarify, I was turning into the church drive and was blocked, unable to complete my turn, so she hit me headon. St. Farm fixed my car and refused to fix hers and I wasn't hurt, so there's no point in suing her. Generally, attorneys don't need recommendations for attorneys in other fields. They know exactly who's good and who's not... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I didn't address this part. She said "briefly," but she covered 500' without looking up. IOW, she was illegally texting and those records can be subpoenaed. I lost a lot of respect for the law firm, when they sent me a "scare letter," threatening to come after all my assets, if their claim exceeded my coverage. My St. Farm rep said that it is standard practice for this law firm and pointed out that the amount of coverage I have would cover any fatality - for which I was clearly at fault. It's stupid to send a letter like that to a lawyer...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Was it Allstate? They have a bad reputation for that. They tried that with me twice but in the end they paid although in one case I still got screwed a bit.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The lady who hit me also has Allstate...
The last time we had this happen my wife was also hit by a "distracted driver." He claimed to fall asleep but he had a square cut and bruise on his forehead the exact same shape as his cell phone. Police chief here pointed that out immediately but he stuck with his story. I settled with my insurance and they (Alfa) dealt with the other party's insurance. In the end, I got a check quickly and didn't have the headache of dealing with the insurance company. On the personal injury side, that took almost a year and a half to settle. The paid the bills but not much more even with my lawyer getting involved.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have no idea what transpired in my case. I do know that when my lawyer wrote his initial letter, her insurance settled 8 days later. Something had to have come up in those 8 days that made them settle real quick. They literally went from stonewalling to settling in 8 days. My lawyer doesn't even know. Since they settled for the maximum, he said don't worry about it. Now my under insured insurance settlement took almost a year.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
To clarify, I was turning into the church drive and was blocked, unable to complete my turn, so she hit me headon. St. Farm fixed my car and refused to fix hers and I wasn't hurt, so there's no point in suing her. Generally, attorneys don't need recommendations for attorneys in other fields. They know exactly who's good and who's not... :D
OK thanks - I totally misread your post, it seems. Guess I was tired and not thinking clearly.

I get it about the referrals - I guess part of it was just bragging about my friend down the street more than anything. You would really appreciate him, especially given your accomplished legal, business, and ethical acumen.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I didn't address this part. She said "briefly," but she covered 500' without looking up. IOW, she was illegally texting and those records can be subpoenaed. I lost a lot of respect for the law firm, when they sent me a "scare letter," threatening to come after all my assets, if their claim exceeded my coverage. My St. Farm rep said that it is standard practice for this law firm and pointed out that the amount of coverage I have would cover any fatality - for which I was clearly at fault. It's stupid to send a letter like that to a lawyer...
I don't know why "distracted" is being used when a freaking cell phone is the reason (probably) over 90% of the time. Why don't they just say "They were on their cell phone"?

"Distracted" is when your date has a large chest and reaches across the front seat to help you with your seat belt, or something. :cool:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't know why "distracted" is being used when a freaking cell phone is the reason (probably) over 90% of the time. Why don't they just say "They were on their cell phone"?

"Distracted" is when your date has a large chest and reaches across the front seat to help you with your seat belt, or something. :cool:
Actually, the term "distracted driving" has come to mean more than just cell phones. It covers reaching for something on the floor, turning around to tend to a child or pet, etc...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Because "distracted" covers a number of things. Could change it to "wasn't paying attention" driving if you like.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.