Ouch! Wife gets foot run over by power chair at Publix...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
9 out of 10 times, people in those power chairs are on the very heavy side too.
Actually, that was the case in this instance. She had already almost hit Liz once before, so Liz's a little paranoid about the whole thing. A younger friend, really daughter of a friend, had a similar incident, also in a Publix. A woman in a chair rounded a corner too tightly, taking out the entire floor red wine display and dumping down the front of Jamie's dress, soaking her shoes and purse, both bought in Italy at considerable expense. She said the manager sort of gulped when he saw the cost (I don't think cleaning was feasible), but he paid it without complaint...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Actually, the term "distracted driving" has come to mean more than just cell phones. It covers reaching for something on the floor, turning around to tend to a child or pet, etc...
Because "distracted" covers a number of things. Could change it to "wasn't paying attention" driving if you like.
Sure - makes sense.

I was just going on what I see around here every day.

Two categories of people in vehicles:

1. people driving
2. people using their cell phones - and driving in between

I will go ahead and add that 3rd category:

3. people who dropped their cell phone and are looking down trying to find it

:D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sure - makes sense.

I was just going on what I see around here every day.

Two categories of people in vehicles:

1. people driving
2. people using their cell phones - and driving in between

I will go ahead and add that 3rd category:

3. people who dropped their cell phone and are looking down trying to find it

:D
I can tell you've never driven a car full of kids... :D

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Or eaten fast food in a hurry to get somewhere.

I've seen people brushing their teeth, reading the newspaper, and reading a book. Rode to school with a friend's mom steering the car with her knees while she put on mascara.

"Distracted" is used for several reasons.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Unless you count the 4 legged variety - no sir - I have not had that distinction! ;)

Or eaten fast food in a hurry to get somewhere.

I've seen people brushing their teeth, reading the newspaper, and reading a book. Rode to school with a friend's mom steering the car with her knees while she put on mascara.

"Distracted" is used for several reasons.
I know, guys. I get it.

I just don't understand why, when it's obvious what the specific distraction reason is, they don't just come out and say - "the accused was using his/her cell phone at the time of the accident and didn't see the other driver." Or some-such.

I don't know off the top of my head what the statistics are - but surely the #1 reason for the distraction is cell phone usage.

Hard to believe there are still states that have not enacted legislation prohibiting such use while driving.

Distracted driving

Concern is mounting about the effects of phone use and texting while driving.

Cellphones and texting

April 2019
Talking on a hand-held cellphone while driving is banned in 16 states and the District of Columbia.
The use of all cellphones by novice drivers is restricted in 38 states and the District of Columbia.
Text messaging is banned for all drivers in 47 states and the District of Columbia. In addition, novice drivers are banned from texting in two states (Arizona and Missouri).
Many localities have enacted their own bans on cellphones or text messaging. In some but not all states, local jurisdictions need specific statutory authority to do so. In addition, most school bus drivers are banned from texting and using hand-held cellphones by state code, regulation or school district policy.
The table and maps below show the states that have cellphone laws, whether they specifically ban text messaging, and whether they are enforced as primary or secondary laws. Under secondary laws, an officer must have some other reason to stop a vehicle before citing a driver for using a cellphone. Laws without this restriction are called primary.
LINK

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Lucky. She used RICE and arnica immediately upon coming home. The 4th toe is slightly swollen and little sore, but that seems to be all. Probably less sore than I'll be by about 3:00. I have a bone spur getting shaved off my right 5th toe this afternoon...
Bone spur? No politics on this board, please! :biggrin2:

Just kidding, of course. Best to you with your foot procedure, Earle - and good to hear Liz's smooshed foot isn't too severe! ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bone spur? No politics on this board, please! :biggrin2:

Just kidding, of course. Best to you with your foot procedure, Earle - and good to hear Liz's smooshed foot isn't too severe! ;)
His was supposedly a heel spur. That's typically an overuse syndrome, which makes it even more unlikely that it was the truth. Mine is on my little toe, either from overly-narrow shoes or overly-wide feet. (Really the latter, since I buy D and extra-wide.)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, the guy was about to remove the wrong spur, one I didn't even know I had and which didn't hurt. We managed to get it straightened out by my putting my finger on the one which hurt, which he filed off. I guess they don't put "x"s on bone spurs like they do knees, etc... :)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Well, the guy was about to remove the wrong spur, one I didn't even know I had and which didn't hurt. We managed to get it straightened out by my putting my finger on the one which hurt, which he filed off. I guess they don't put "x"s on bone spurs like they do knees, etc... :)
OWWWW!

Hope it no longer hurts!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.