Question: Who do Tide Fans want after Saban?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
By the time coach is ready to retire, and I see that way...maybe 10 years down the road, there will be some other hot coach on Byrne's radar that I am sure will do just nicely. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this ride man. I don't expect we will ever see an era of domination in College Football by anyone quite the way the GOAT has done and continues to do.
I’d be pleasantly surprised if Byrne were still our AD in 10 years.

I expect an offer as commissioner of a P5 conference (other than the PAC-12) before then.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the ship has sailed on Dabo. After that, I honestly don't think there's an obvious candidate. It is an ask me when the time comes thing because it will have everything to do with how things look at the moment.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
He has to continue improvement, but I think Jeremy Pruitt might be a candidate by the time Saban hangs it up.

First, though, I’d make Dabo tell me, “Thanks, but no thanks.” He has a great gig at Clemson, and I don’t think he’d accept. But you have to ask.
I don't know.............when "Mama calls", it's usually pretty hard to say no..........plus, he's from Bama

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I didn't realize we were past due for the quarterly, "Who will replace Saban," thread.
He’s a Georgia fan, he didn’t know! But, They might should be looking at who replaces Kirby in 2 years when they slip to 9-3 and Pruitt’s Vols win the East.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Of course other teams like to start whatever rumor about thoughts of Saban retirement.

For replacement coach: Bill Belichick

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What's important is that we not botch it.

I know Ray Perkins was Bryant's choice but for the life of me I don't understand why. No, I don't know as much as football as Bryant did but....jeez!

Bill Curry over Bobby Bowden still gives me nightmares.

Gene Stallings was the best of what I thought were some mediocre choices below Bowden.

Whoever said, "Let's hire a head coach who has ONE YEAR of HS head coaching experience" (DuBose) needs to be slipped an overdose and shot out of a canon

Hiring Franchione was falling into the second tier - the Means story hitting the newsstands on Thanksgiving Day that year was a double whammy

Price could supposedly "do more with less"...........his trip to the strip club showed he could do less with more.....

Shula? Mike DuBose without a zipper problem

We've gone to bat eight times since Coach left in 1982.

We're - AT BEST - batting .250.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
What's important is that we not botch it.

I know Ray Perkins was Bryant's choice but for the life of me I don't understand why. No, I don't know as much as football as Bryant did but....jeez!

Bill Curry over Bobby Bowden still gives me nightmares.

Gene Stallings was the best of what I thought were some mediocre choices below Bowden.

Whoever said, "Let's hire a head coach who has ONE YEAR of HS head coaching experience" (DuBose) needs to be slipped an overdose and shot out of a canon

Hiring Franchione was falling into the second tier - the Means story hitting the newsstands on Thanksgiving Day that year was a double whammy

Price could supposedly "do more with less"...........his trip to the strip club showed he could do less with more.....

Shula? Mike DuBose without a zipper problem

We've gone to bat eight times since Coach left in 1982.

We're - AT BEST - batting .250.
There was a time I was against Dabo coming back, but I've changed my mind.

Reason being that I thought back through these hires and asked "What difference would hiring the best coach available have made over the years?"

It's possible Alabama wins a few more NC's and still hires Saban while never going through the dark years.

So unless Dabo or the best available when CNS retires in 15-20 years (hey, I can hope) is dirty as sin and we have to move on to the next one then Alabama should go after and get the very best coach available.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the ship has sailed on Dabo. After that, I honestly don't think there's an obvious candidate. It is an ask me when the time comes thing because it will have everything to do with how things look at the moment.
How could the ship has sailed on Dabo even be realistic? If he's not an obvious possibility who would be?

It seems to me that people don't like Dabo for basically one reason: his personality. It certainly can't be based on his coaching ability. He's certainly the #2 best coach in America right now based on results.

But, lots of folks don't like CNS, but guess why? Personality. Obviously not coaching.

Would we really not explore Dabo as candidate #1 after CNS because he's too folksy or religious or whatever it is people don't like about him?

Whenever CNS walks away, I hope the very best coach is hired, but I hope it's not based on his personality.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How could the ship has sailed on Dabo even be realistic? If he's not an obvious possibility who would be?

It seems to me that people don't like Dabo for basically one reason: his personality. It certainly can't be based on his coaching ability. He's certainly the #2 best coach in America right now based on results.

But, lots of folks don't like CNS, but guess why? Personality. Obviously not coaching.

Would we really not explore Dabo as candidate #1 after CNS because he's too folksy or religious or whatever it is people don't like about him?

Whenever CNS walks away, I hope the very best coach is hired, but I hope it's not based on his personality.
There are more people that hate his shadiness that he exhibited the last time he was here than his personality and religious overtones.

But the ship has probably sailed because of two things 1) he is very comfortable at Clemson and 2) anything Alabama offers him will be matched or will be very close to being matched by Clemson. It really will come down to whether Dabo wants a more challenging experience or not. But odds are he turns us down.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There are more people that hate his shadiness that he exhibited the last time he was here than his personality and religious overtones.

But the ship has probably sailed because of two things 1) he is very comfortable at Clemson and 2) anything Alabama offers him will be matched or will be very close to being matched by Clemson. It really will come down to whether Dabo wants a more challenging experience or not. But odds are he turns us down.
OK, but "the ship has sailed" means "it's gone" or "it's not happening."

Dabo may never coach at Alabama, but, we'd be silly not to let him turn us down. Personally, I don't think money has anything to do with why he might or might not come. Only time will tell.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The rumor that other teams have is that Tide Fans want Dabo to replace Saban. Maybe I should say that he is rumored to be the most likely candidate.
I prefer to hear directly from the fans themselves instead of making assumptions. My question is that if Saban were to retire right now, who would fans like to see replace Saban? Maybe give me your top 3
So thinking on the reason why you started this thread: Don't worry, we DO NOT want Kirby Smart...EVER! :cool2:

For giggles and grins: Who would you want if Smart were to leave after this next season? :biggrin2:

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
First post on the site. Have been following Bama football and recruiting for many, many years. We live in Greenville, SC about 45 minutes from Clemson. Been here for about 6 years now after living in Charleston, SC for 8 years.

I would say that whoever follows Nick Saban has to be incredibly self confident. Will not be for someone without thick skin.

My two cents is 1. Dabo Swinney (Don't think he ever leaves Clemson)
2. Jeremy Pruitt (Assuming can turn around Tennessee and recruits well there)
3. Lincoln Riley (Don't like him but his offensive mind is second to none. He would get better defensive recruits at Bama and would just need a better D coordinator)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
He has to continue improvement, but I think Jeremy Pruitt might be a candidate by the time Saban hangs it up.
First, though, I’d make Dabo tell me, “Thanks, but no thanks.” He has a great gig at Clemson, and I don’t think he’d accept. But you have to ask.
The thing is that not only has Dabo got a love for the Capstone......MANY of his staff members do as well. That will weigh heavily into decisions if and when it does come to that.... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If it happened now, it would be interesting. Dabo is by far the most qualified candidate in terms of NC quality coaches.
Some think he'd be stupid to leave a place where he's the school's "Bear Bryant" to come to a school to walk in the shadows of the real coach Bryant and current greatest, CNS.
Me personally, I think Dabo would have a difficult time turning down the opportunity to be remembered among the greats at Alabama.
Lots of folks even on this board don't like Dabo, but even they'd warm up to him real fast if he were to come and win a NC quickly, and based on his history at Clemson, he could.
Agreed! See my post above... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Assuming they are successful enough to be considered, my top 3 would be . .
1. Jeremy Pruitt
2. Freddie Kitchens
3. Pete Golding

There's just something about Dabo that I can't put my finger on, but don't like.
Nothing personal (really)...but your username kind of invalidates your comment. :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.