Question: Who do Tide Fans want after Saban?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think the ship has sailed on Dabo. After that, I honestly don't think there's an obvious candidate. It is an ask me when the time comes thing because it will have everything to do with how things look at the moment.
I wonder who Coach Saban would recommend...? :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
What's important is that we not botch it.
I know Ray Perkins was Bryant's choice but for the life of me I don't understand why. No, I don't know as much as football as Bryant did but....jeez!
Bill Curry over Bobby Bowden still gives me nightmares.
Gene Stallings was the best of what I thought were some mediocre choices below Bowden.
Whoever said, "Let's hire a head coach who has ONE YEAR of HS head coaching experience" (DuBose) needs to be slipped an overdose and shot out of a canon

Hiring Franchione was falling into the second tier - the Means story hitting the newsstands on Thanksgiving Day that year was a double whammy
Price could supposedly "do more with less"...........his trip to the strip club showed he could do less with more.....
Shula? Mike DuBose without a zipper problem
We've gone to bat eight times since Coach left in 1982.
We're - AT BEST - batting .250.
IIRC, Bryant/'s first choice was Stallings.

Curry was largely in part because of the Alumni President at the time...(insider information on that one).

Bowden would have been phenomenal as a replacement at the time. His discipline in his latter years kind of gives me doubts, but that is in hindsight.

Stallings made one crucial mistake (Langham) in his career here, but was a solid hire.

The years between Stallings and Saban were an absolute train wreck! :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
How could the ship has sailed on Dabo even be realistic? If he's not an obvious possibility who would be?
It seems to me that people don't like Dabo for basically one reason: his personality. It certainly can't be based on his coaching ability. He's certainly the #2 best coach in America right now based on results.
But, lots of folks don't like CNS, but guess why? Personality. Obviously not coaching.
Would we really not explore Dabo as candidate #1 after CNS because he's too folksy or religious or whatever it is people don't like about him?
Whenever CNS walks away, I hope the very best coach is hired, but I hope it's not based on his personality.
Agree!

I remember when we hired Kiffin and everybody hated the hire because of his past and antics. Yet we largely embraced him and his quirks.

Dabo may grate on some folks here, but they absolutely love him over there. I could see that happening here as well... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
There are more people that hate his shadiness that he exhibited the last time he was here than his personality and religious overtones.
But the ship has probably sailed because of two things 1) he is very comfortable at Clemson and 2) anything Alabama offers him will be matched or will be very close to being matched by Clemson. It really will come down to whether Dabo wants a more challenging experience or not. But odds are he turns us down.
Shadiness?!? :conf3:

Please elaborate (or at least PM me).

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
OK, but "the ship has sailed" means "it's gone" or "it's not happening."
Dabo may never coach at Alabama, but, we'd be silly not to let him turn us down. Personally, I don't think money has anything to do with why he might or might not come. Only time will tell.
At the very least, he will get a monster raise out of considering us, so he will... :cool2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Shadiness?!? :conf3:

Please elaborate (or at least PM me).
I’ll let some others who are more in the know with the specifics, but I’ll remind you that he coached under Dubose. So there was a lot of shenanigans going on by that coaching staff to include Dabo. It’s also worth noting that Fran tried to hire him but Mal basically told him “Hell no”.

The point was that there isa large part of the Alabama fans that don’t want Dabo that don’t want him due to his tenure here. It’s not just his “aww shucks” personality.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think CNS will have a lot of input into whomever replaces him. That being said, he has a good relationship with Dabo and would have an opinion on if he was capable. Don't think for one minute that CNS wouldn't say exactly what if thought off the record to Byrne or whomever is conducting the search.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I’ll let some others who are more in the know with the specifics, but I’ll remind you that he coached under Dubose. So there was a lot of shenanigans going on by that coaching staff to include Dabo. It’s also worth noting that Fran tried to hire him but Mal basically told him “Hell no”.
The point was that there isa large part of the Alabama fans that don’t want Dabo that don’t want him due to his tenure here. It’s not just his “aww shucks” personality.
HUH! Never heard that before and I thought I had some inside connections...:blush:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Agree!

I remember when we hired Kiffin and everybody hated the hire because of his past and antics. Yet we largely embraced him and his quirks.

Dabo may grate on some folks here, but they absolutely love him over there. I could see that happening here as well... :cool2:
For the record, I hated the Kiffin hire, never liked or trusted him and never will. I felt the same way about Franchione and Curry. As for Dabo, I don't think he will ever leave Clemson unless the program goes to hell and he is run off. I suspect CNS will be around another five years and a lot can happen.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
The only way I would ever be accepting of Urban Meyer would be as an OC in Sabans rehab program.

Dabos antics drive me nuts and the other sutff surrounding his previous tenure by themself are enough to worry about the red flags.

Pruitt, if he does good at UT, I think he would do a great job here

Rich... I mean Smart... nah we don't want a mediocre coach

I guess we need to worry more about finding a fountain of youth instead .

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I believe that Coach Stallings was the first choice but was under contract with the Cowboys and believed contracts were NOT made to be broken in the middle of the season so the admin went another way instead of waiting. They were concerned about "recruiting" in 1983/4 instead of long-term benefits that would have come from CGS.

Kinda like how the PTB wanted Bowden to "interview" for the job. SMH.

I'm glad Coach Moore put his career on the line, got on that plane and flew to Miami not knowing CNS's answer and sat outside his house for a week ! :D

As I stated previously, I think science will figure out a way to perpetually keep CNS as our coach so the premise of the question is moot! :D

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IIRC, Bryant/'s first choice was Stallings.
Respectfully - this has been hashed out on the board for years and person after person here says this. This notion came up after Bryant Jr - at Stallings's introductory PC - said, "This is what Papa wanted."

Bryant was the AD for Pete's sake. I realize it's debated and to a degree we'll never know. But if Bryant wanted Stallings in 1982, there's no reason to think he couldn't have gotten him. Yeah, he said he was removing himself from the search but does anyone actually believe that?

Curry was largely in part because of the Alumni President at the time...(insider information on that one).

Bowden would have been phenomenal as a replacement at the time. His discipline in his latter years kind of gives me doubts, but that is in hindsight.
I can buy that. You ever heard Tim Wilson's standup about Bowden? It's hilarious.

"Coach, your team stole half the shirts out of a Dillard's?"

"They DID, they DID......but they're good kids...."

Stallings made one crucial mistake (Langham) in his career here, but was a solid hire.

The years between Stallings and Saban were an absolute train wreck! :cool2:
Oh yeah.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.