Question: Who do Tide Fans want after Saban?

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
The rumor that other teams have is that Tide Fans want Dabo to replace Saban. Maybe I should say that he is rumored to be the most likely candidate.

I prefer to hear directly from the fans themselves instead of making assumptions. My question is that if Saban were to retire right now, who would fans like to see replace Saban? Maybe give me your top 3

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) not Kirby
2) not Franklin
3) not Gus

It would be a pipe dream but if we couldn’t get Dabo then I suppose Peterson would be my #1.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The rumor that other teams have is that Tide Fans want Dabo to replace Saban. Maybe I should say that he is rumored to be the most likely candidate.

I prefer to hear directly from the fans themselves instead of making assumptions. My question is that if Saban were to retire right now, who would fans like to see replace Saban? Maybe give me your top 3

That kind of depends on who you ask.

Dabo is PROBABLY the front-runner in the old, "He'll probably say 'no,' but his track record suggests we at least inquire."

There are some bad undercurrents from Dabo's time here 20 years ago (they can't really be discussed here) - so the question would turn on whether to write off that time frame as youthful indiscretion or what. His religion/religiosity would fit in Alabama just fine AS LONG as he wins.

Kirby Smart has less chance than I do of getting the job. I don't think he would leave UGA even if he was the pursued.

Kiffin? No, I don't really understand the obsession people have with him.

My personal choice would be Chris Peterson of Washington or Urban Meyer once the heat is off.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I'm hoping Coach Saban can be the first successful human clone. Hey, a guy can dream.:rolleyes: In all seriousness, though, I would like:

1) Dabo: even though he can be irritating and abrasive, the guy knows how to win and motivate his players

2) Chris Petersen: he did more with less all those years at Boise State and has consistently won at Washington; just imagine if he got full use of Alabama's resources

3) Gary Patterson: this one is tough to call; he's had his ups and downs at TCU but, more often than not, he puts a solid team on the field.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Ok I'll put it out there,,Freddie, and for the record I will not be a candidate for the job.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
He has to continue improvement, but I think Jeremy Pruitt might be a candidate by the time Saban hangs it up.

First, though, I’d make Dabo tell me, “Thanks, but no thanks.” He has a great gig at Clemson, and I don’t think he’d accept. But you have to ask.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I want our AD to do what all AD's claim to do at the beginning of a search: Hire the best coach available. That does not mean Head Coach ON THE JOB TRAINING!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If it happened now, it would be interesting. Dabo is by far the most qualified candidate in terms of NC quality coaches.

Some think he'd be stupid to leave a place where he's the school's "Bear Bryant" to come to a school to walk in the shadows of the real coach Bryant and current greatest, CNS.

Me personally, I think Dabo would have a difficult time turning down the opportunity to be remembered among the greats at Alabama.

Lots of folks even on this board don't like Dabo, but even they'd warm up to him real fast if he were to come and win a NC quickly, and based on his history at Clemson, he could.

Last edited:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Assuming they are successful enough to be considered, my top 3 would be . .
1. Jeremy Pruitt
2. Freddie Kitchens
3. Pete Golding

There's just something about Dabo that I can't put my finger on, but don't like.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Assuming nothing drastic changes Dabo has to be the first call IMO. I get some people don't love his personality (I don't love him) but I want to win so I'd want him to be the first call.

I would love for it to be Pruitt because I like him but he has to prove himself first.

Freddie Kitchen would be fun but Idk that it would make any sense for him to leave the NFL for college if he's successful.

I also still love Kiffin lol. At least he'd be fun.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think Dabo obviously has to be lead candidate. I know some do not like Dabo's style but if the main thing we are looking for is someone to carry on the winning tradition he's got to be the #1 choice. If Dabo's not interested then I would seriously consider Jeremy Pruitt. I know he's still unproven with only one season as HC but he's got Alabama ties, did a good job as DC and I'd like a defensive minded HC. I can't really think of a good 3rd choice right now.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Dabo's not interested then I would seriously consider Jeremy Pruitt. I know he's still unproven with only one season as HC but he's got Alabama ties, did a good job as DC and I'd like a defensive minded HC.
Jeremy Pruitt -- getting plenty of head coach experience, great defensive coach, Alabama lad.
I know it's hard but I'm rooting for JP to do well at UT. What that looks like I'm not sure. Here's what I'd say he needs to do:

1. Get UT competing with Georgia and Florida again on a regular basis.
2. Win the SECE.
3. Make the TSIO meaningful again. That's a hard one, but it probably means upsetting us sometime in the next few years.
4. Win the SEC, which again, might mean beating us in the SECCG.
5. To do these things, he'd have to show he could recruit and manage a roster that is comparable to Alabama and Georgia.

If he does most of these things and let's say CNS hangs it up afterward, assuming Dabo says no, I think JP would be a legitimate candidate the fan base could get behind.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I am hoping that Saban waits long enough for Pruitt to establish himself as a real good coach @ UT, and then take over at BAMA to carry on the Saban tradition.
I might put Kitchens in the same boat as Pruitt, except that Pruitt has a lot of time being groomed by the Best Of All Time ;-).
Maybe we could refer to Saban as the BOAT instead of the GOAT?
Buy, right now it looks like Dabo would be the first call. I have mixed feelings on Dabo. He is like Trump to me. There is a lot that I honestly do not like about him, but there is a lot that I do like about him. But, the bottom line is that he does a great job, and gets results. And, if we hired Dabo, we would be helping our team, and destroying Clempson at the same time :).

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
By the time coach is ready to retire, and I see that way...maybe 10 years down the road, there will be some other hot coach on Byrne's radar that I am sure will do just nicely. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this ride man. I don't expect we will ever see an era of domination in College Football by anyone quite the way the GOAT has done and continues to do.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.