Question: Who do Tide Fans want after Saban?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Also agree on Pruitt. As much as I appreciate his work as a coordinator, he has proven next to nothing as a head guy. Certainly, he has plenty of time to fill that hole on his resume. But as of now his career largely tracks that of the worst hire in Alabama history. Picking from the family tree alone has proven disastrous.

Agree on Pruit. He would fit the CNS personality mode the closest of anybody I can think of. But again, do we want a coach with a certain personality or a proven track record? I think I know what matters most. Having said that, if JP turns UT around and gets them competing at a high SEC level again, it will prove he knows what he's doing. To expect him to win a NC there, considering where they are right now, would be a stretch. But if he did in the next 5-7 years, he'd skyrocket to the top of potential CNS replacements.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Barrett Jones ESPN had the call on the Tennessee spring game Saturday and was on Three Man Front this morning and was very positive on Jeremy Pruitt as a recruiter and a coach who players respected and wanted to play for. Playback is available here.

http://www.joxfm.com/3manfront/

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
I think Dabo would jump at the chance to come here. And I'm not sure how I feel about that as he is sure to be asked if the timing works out right. I know he's been at Clemson for a long time and I realize there is less pressure there than in Tuscaloosa. But nothing replaces your alma mater.

Pruitt is intriguing as he seems to fit the Nick Saban style better than any of his disciples out there, but we ultimately have to wait and see if he can put it together at Tennessee. I'll say this though: IMO he is not required to win a championship at Tennessee to prove he's got what it takes. Tennessee is a different animal than it was in 1998, and the college football world has changed greatly since then as well. If he can put together some 10 win seasons there, then he's proven a lot.

Uimatltely, I'd like to see Coach Saban have 5-10 more years (or more) and then let's cross that bridge. There is no way to know what the landscape will look like in 2 years, much less 10.
2019 - Duke (Atlanta)
2020 - USC (Dallas)
2021 - Miami (Atlanta)
2022 - @ Texas
2023 - Texas

I hope I am wrong, but this schedule, the fact the we are starting to schedule home and home again in 2022 vs neutral site, leads me to believe 2021 may be CNS last year.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Who I'd like? Well, I start with why those guys might very decline the job:

1- Dabo: following in the steps of Saban will not be a small task. More pressure than anywhere. Alumni or not, Clemson has been his to own and run, and he's done that. Still think it's a 50/50 call if he says yes.
2- Chris Peterson: something tells me he would be like Mike Reilly, and not want to leave the low pressure coaching world of the NW US, and into the cauldron of the SEC. Doesn't recruit here often. It's 90% a no. Regardless of money.
3- Pruitt: at this juncture, he's a third or 4th choice. He'd say yes, and the money is going to be lucrative, but he's not the right guy now, and it's gonna take sustain success at a championship level at UT for him to even get a call. 90% a no, from Bama's standpoint, right now.

No other options realistically come to mind right now, because it's not a learner's job or first time coach's job. It's only for the seasoned, experienced, and title winning guys. Frankly, there just hasn't been any other guys in the last decade that fit that bill besides Dabo and Urban Meyer, who I believe is out of the game now for good. Bob Stoops isn't coming to Bama. aTm's coach is buried in a huge contract. I mean, in the past 10 years, no one is left, besides Chizik.

I rest my case.

Someone else besides Dabo or CNS must rise in the next 3-5 years to be a great candidate for the job. I do believe Saban wants to push to 70, but beyond that, I just don't know. Don't rule out an ugly parting of ways with Kirby and UGA, and him to become a candidate. It's hard to think about, but Richt was loved there until he wasn't. There just isn't a clear candidate other than Dabo, and it's a coin flip.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kiffin will never get the chance. A coach with his history of predatory narcissism should not have access to any student. Meyer offers a different situation in that he appears willing and able to bend his transactional brand of ethics to meet any of his program's needs.

Serious question, BIG: Knowing what you know now, would you take Urban back?
No, nor Tressel. But I don't get to pick our head coach, and if he came back and won a few championships I would struggle to maintain my disdain for the man.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
I for one am not looking forward to that day because CNS is a once in a lifetime hire. My hat will forever be off to CMM for his foresight and persistence in getting Coach and Terry here. But that being said Dabo despite all that he has said or others have written would walk naked over broken glass to get to Tuscaloosa if asked. He would also do well. I for one would like to see Jeremy Pruitt depending on how his stent at Ucheat goes. But it will be the most important hire that any AD has made since 1982 hopefully the PTB will do a better job.

Roll Tide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
2019 - Duke (Atlanta)
2020 - USC (Dallas)
2021 - Miami (Atlanta)
2022 - @ Texas
2023 - Texas

I hope I am wrong, but this schedule, the fact the we are starting to schedule home and home again in 2022 vs neutral site, leads me to believe 2021 may be CNS last year.
Well, if you listen to him, he keeps saying he wants to continue to coach. He doesn't even sound like he's close to hanging it up. I'm beginning to think it'll be health that will likely be the thing that changes his mind, but hopefully that's way off in the future.

Since CNS arrived in T-town, people have been saying he won't coach in Tuscaloosa for more than 3 to 5 years. After he won his first championship, we've consistently heard he'll likely only coach another 5 years or so.

It reminds me of a guy I met a few years ago who for 10 years told me he was going to retire in the next 2 or 3 years. It took him 25 years to do it. Hope CNS is about the same.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I agree with most of your post...but I think the perception Dabo would say no at a such a high percentage is unfounded.

As far as I know, Dabo has never tipped his hat publicly about the possiblity of ever coaching at Bama if ever offered.

I KNOW NOTHING, but I'm pretty sure the possibility of him turning down the job is not 90%. Shoot, I don't see how anyone could say it's not at least a 50/50 scenario. JMO.
I agree! Also, Dabo is not the only one on his staff with strong ties to the Capstone...and that would play a significant part if and when he is given the opportunity to return. ;)

Pruitt could be a possibility depending on his performance over the next few seasons...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
2- Chris Peterson: something tells me he would be like Mike Reilly, and not want to leave the low pressure coaching world of the NW US, and into the cauldron of the SEC. Doesn't recruit here often. It's 90% a no. Regardless of money.
You do realize that 1) Washington is a bigger job than BOTH Nebraska and Oregon St and 2) Chris Peterson has about 30 more wins than Riley. I don't think Riley has ever been in the same zip code as Chris Peterson in terms of coaching.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
When Stallings retired, I was one of the few people that did not want Dubose hired. When he was hired, I thought it was a dumb hire. I still supported the team. Now admittedly I wanted Rick Neuheisel. In retrospect I was not too smart either. I would support whoever is hired, I cheer for the team not the coach. I am no fan of Dabo at all, I keep hoping someone is still out there not yet on the radar. Pruitt may end up being great, but he needs to prove he can handle the job. He seems to have the same work ethic as Saban so that is a plus. I seriously doubt Peterson would leave the west coast.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I honestly don't think Dabo would leave Clemson. He is their coach Bryant. Dabo loves Alabama, but why would he come to a place that the expectations will be national championship or bust? He could never win another one at Clemson and still be revered and secure in his job as long as he is reasonably competitive. No matter what he does, he'll always be compared with Saban at Alabama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
When Stallings retired, I was one of the few people that did not want Dubose hired. When he was hired, I thought it was a dumb hire. I still supported the team. Now admittedly I wanted Rick Neuheisel. In retrospect I was not too smart either. I would support whoever is hired, I cheer for the team not the coach. I am no fan of Dabo at all, I keep hoping someone is still out there not yet on the radar. Pruitt may end up being great, but he needs to prove he can handle the job. He seems to have the same work ethic as Saban so that is a plus. I seriously doubt Peterson would leave the west coast.

When we hired Curry, I wanted Bobby Bowden (I mean, who didn't?)

Stallings? Bowden
DuBose? I just thought it was a disastrous hire.
Franchione? Wanted Butch Davis, which was probably not much better tbh with you
Price? Wanted Tom Coughlin
Shula? Willing to tolerate him over the bad press when we fired Croom
Saban? Yes!!

After Saban? Ah, who knows.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.