Dabo wants to play UGA every year

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
ajc.com said:
Georgia hasn’t played Clemson since 2014, and the teams aren’t scheduled to meet again until 2024 in Atlanta.

Tigers coach Dabo Swinney thinks that’s too long, he said Saturday that Clemson would welcome an annual series with the Bulldogs.“We should play Georgia every year if it was up to me,” Swinney said. “We’re 80 miles, and they need a game, we need a game. We had to travel to Texas A&M last year, when we could have gone 80 miles.”
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-series-with-bulldogs/0rweRizFisfsclI7iEH4CP/

Sounds like a winning plan to me! :)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
In a serious discussion, this should make sense. Proximity should be counted. Think about the travel issues, wear and tear of going on a 3-4 hour flight vs a 1 hour bus ride, costs, etc. Particularly when UGA is better than TAMU and UGA & Clemson are roughly equal.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I think its a great idea. not only good for College Football, but since Clemson and UGA have become Alabama's newest " rivals", it would put a smile on my face to see one of them knock each other out every season. its a win win situation!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm sure there's a reason, but I've never understood why games have to be scheduled so far in advance. I get planning and scheduling ahead to ensure the time to get certain things in place that are necessary to have the game. But there doesn't seem to be enough flexibility in scheduling. For instance, scheduling a team five to six years out based on both teams are "good" now. Okay, what if by that time one of those teams are horrible and there's really not as much demand for the game or benefit for the superior program? They can cancel the game but then there's not enough time to pick up a good P5 team to play.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It's really about increasing their recruiting footprint in Georgia I think. Some of their best players come from there including their phenom QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Would become one of the top games each year with the current state of each program!

Plus, it'd add a loss to one of our main rivals right now!

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Well he is playing Bama every year so why not? ;)
So far, that has been the case. I think the difference is, when CU is playing Bama, the Title has been on the line. To play UG, only the road to the Title would be on the line. He could lose to UG, and still get to the CFP. Especially in the patsy (at this point anyway) ACC. When you play a CCG against a 7-5 team, what does that say for your Conference? Has there ever been an SEC team in a CCG with a 7-5 record?

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Yes, he does.... if you don't think he does then you underestimate his hubris.

He plays the 'awe shucks' card routinely but he is supremely confident.

After beating us by 28 points, I don't doubt him for a second welcoming All-Comers.
And I think you're just underestimating how much he loves to go into a rah-rah routine and say things that play into popular (and sports media) sentiment / build up his team, like, you know, the good teams need to set up more big marquee regular season matchups stuff we hear all the time. There's also a probably a thread of him wanting to counter all the talk about how Clemson never has to play anybody in the regular season here, and even a bit of him trying to push the blame for that off on other schools / the powers that be ("Hey, if it were up to me, we'd play every game against a top 10 team. Oh shoot, I guess it isn't up to me. Oh well, guess my hands are tied and we'll have to keep on cake walking into the playoffs every year. Darn. Burns me up as much as it does y'all, I swear.") All in, it's just another brand of self-serving hot air from him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.