How do you feel about the status of the program?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Hey Wiley, WHY DON'T YOU GO AND COACH THE TEAM TO SEE IF YOU CAN DO BETTER? COACH "BO" IS A GOOD COACH AND NEEDS TIME TO RECRUIT. GIVE ME A BREAK! WE ARE ALREADY IN A HOLE SINCE COACH GOFF AND COACH BOHANNON WAS LEFT WITH A MESS TO CLEAN UP! COACH "BO" IS THE RIGHT COACH FOR THIS PROGRAM RIGHT NOW!
Dude, TAKE A CHILL PILL, Damn!! I am well aware Coach Bohannon inherited a mess. I fully expected last year to be very challenging. I did expect to see some modest gains this year and it has not shown up in the win loss column, or team stats!

In SEC games, our BA, SLG % and runs scored are all down. Our pitching has taken a step back. That said, I support the team and Coach Bo 110%. However, change needs to be noticed next year or Greg Byrne will have to make a tough decision.

.237. VS .210 BA
4.96 VS 6.92 ERA
.353 VS .294 SLG
3.4 VS 4.1 runs game

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Coach Bo has 5 years to fix this train wreck of a program. And he should have.
When Byrne told the team Goff was dismissed, he made it clear he had a track record of hiring baseball coaches. He then pointed to Jay Johnson at Arizona who took Arizona from missing a regional 3 straight years to the CWS in 1 season. I do not believe Byrne expects this to take 5 years to get to a regional.

The first recruiting class obviously was going to be a mess. The class that came in this fall was well respected and the class coming in next fall will have some more pieces. Without a doubt, we should be back in a regional by year four.

Last edited:

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Dude, TAKE A CHILL PILL, Damn!! I am well aware Coach Bohannon inherited a mess. I fully expected last year to be very challenging. I did expect to see some modest gains this year and it has not shown up in the win loss column, or team stats!
You're fully aware of the mess, yet you essentially expected him to have it all fixed in year 2? He's had a single "partial" recruiting class make it to campus so far, and you're already "wondering" if he's the right guy. Tells me you're probably bitter we didn't hire "your" guy from the start.

You can't make chicken salad from chicken sh*t. This mess was never going to be fixed in 2 years, or probably even 3 given that in baseball you essentially play your first season without any of your own recruits. I've always thought that a coach should get 3-4 recruiting classes to prove he can get the job done -- unless there's an obvious issue like their was with Goff. Especially considering we were at such an extreme talent deficit compared to everyone else. Seriously, Finn's great and all, but he'd be a Sunday starter AT BEST for any other SEC team. Love can't seem to go past 4 innings, and I can't remember the last time we had a guy start consecutive Sundays.

BTW, if you want to see improvement, look at the fact that we're beating the teams we're supposed to beat. IIRC, we're 20-3 in the non-conference portion of the schedule. The SEC portion was going to be an uphill climb to begin with, made worse by the fact that we'll be playing 5-6 teams in the top 10 during SEC play (most of those being top 5 when we played them), with everyone else but SCar being in the top 25. Hell, LSU could be back in the top 10 when they're released today.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
When Byrne told the team Goff was dismissed, he made it clear he had a track record of hiring baseball coaches. He then pointed to Jay Johnson at Arizona who took Arizona from missing a regional 3 straight years to the CWS in 1 season. I do not believe Byrne expects this to take 5 years to get to a regional.

The first recruiting class obviously was going to be a mess. The class that came in this fall was well respected and the class coming in next fall will have some more pieces. Without a doubt, we should be back in a regional by year four.
Now that I've gotten my rant out of the way, I agree with this. From the start my timeline was:

Year 1-2: Recruit like crazy and "survive"
Year 3: Recruit like crazy and back to Hoover (even if just the 10/11/12 seed)
Year 4: Recruit like crazy and Regional appearance.
Year 5+: We'll tackle that when we get there, oh and recruit like crazy.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
You're fully aware of the mess, yet you essentially expected him to have it all fixed in year 2? He's had a single "partial" recruiting class make it to campus so far, and you're already "wondering" if he's the right guy. Tells me you're probably bitter we didn't hire "your" guy from the start.

You can't make chicken salad from chicken sh*t. This mess was never going to be fixed in 2 years, or probably even 3 given that in baseball you essentially play your first season without any of your own recruits. I've always thought that a coach should get 3-4 recruiting classes to prove he can get the job done -- unless there's an obvious issue like their was with Goff. Especially considering we were at such an extreme talent deficit compared to everyone else. Seriously, Finn's great and all, but he'd be a Sunday starter AT BEST for any other SEC team. Love can't seem to go past 4 innings, and I can't remember the last time we had a guy start consecutive Sundays.

BTW, if you want to see improvement, look at the fact that we're beating the teams we're supposed to beat. IIRC, we're 20-3 in the non-conference portion of the schedule. The SEC portion was going to be an uphill climb to begin with, made worse by the fact that we'll be playing 5-6 teams in the top 10 during SEC play (most of those being top 5 when we played them), with everyone else but SCar being in the top 25. Hell, LSU could be back in the top 10 when they're released today.
I did not expect to be in the top 25 in year 2. I did expect us to see some improvement in SEC play, not to see us possibly have a worse record than last year, even with the schedule we were dealt. I also did not expect a huge step back in the pitching and small step back at the plate.

Maybe I believed too much in the hype about how good our freshman class this year is and expected the rebuild to proceed quicker. Coach Bo was not “my guy” or not, “not my guy”. I trust Greg Byrne in his vision for our AD.

In the end, I will do what I have done for 30+ years, support the guys on the Diamond, BTW, you mentioned the word “Rant” in your other post. It wasn’t a rant, just your opinion which is as welcome as anyone else’s! You did make look at the bright side that we are much better in non-conference games so, I will look at that as the first step to improving the program!

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Will we really ever be able to compete as long as we are hampered by not having state lottery scholarships for in-state kids?

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Will we really ever be able to compete as long as we are hampered by not having state lottery scholarships for in-state kids?
It definitely hurts no doubt about that, but Auburn is in the same position and they are able to compete. Bama can't use this as an excuse in my opinion, no reason we cant be as good or better then the barn every year.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Coach Bo came from there, so he should know how to make it work.

Without acting like you were actually born in a barn...................

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.