Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Assange took refuge in the embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over a sexual assault case that has since been dropped.

At Westminster Magistrates' Court on Thursday he was found guilty of failing to surrender to the court.
He now faces US federal conspiracy charges related to one of the largest ever leaks of government secrets.
The UK will decide whether to extradite Assange, in response to allegations by the Department for Justice that he conspired with former US intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to download classified databases.
He faces up to five years in US prison if convicted on the charges of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion.
Click

:pDT_popc1:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Either way, he revealed American war crimes and that is the crux of why the United States wants him. If our foreign policy apparatus could hang, crucify, then set him on fire in front of the world they would to prove a point.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Either way, he revealed American war crimes and that is the crux of why the United States wants him.
Yep.... and that's why I want him to be exonerated so that he may expose more war crimes in the future.

If our foreign policy apparatus could hang, crucify, then set him on fire in front of the world they would to prove a point.
Sadly this is also true.... and to some degree he probably will be publicly punished/executed on a journalist's reputation/professional level if not literally punished/executed.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
This is a tough one. I fall into the camp that if you know certain information is classified, and you disseminate that information to unauthorized recipients (regardless of how you obtained it or how you disseminate it), you should be prosecuted under the law.

The problem is that the law is unclear as to how it applies to the knowing dissemination of classified information by specifically journalists (given their first amendment protections).

Personally, I don’t think it should matter. Unauthorized dissemination of classified information should be treated the same across the board, regardless of who disseminates it.

But I can acknowledge that there’s a legitimate dilemma between the principles of national security and freedom of the press.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This is a tough one. I fall into the camp that if you know certain information is classified, and you disseminate that information to unauthorized recipients (regardless of how you obtained it or how you disseminate it), you should be prosecuted under the law.

The problem is that the law is unclear as to how it applies to the knowing dissemination of classified information by specifically journalists (given their first amendment protections).

Personally, I don’t think it should matter. Unauthorized dissemination of classified information should be treated the same across the board, regardless of who disseminates it.

But I can acknowledge that there’s a legitimate dilemma between the principles of national security and freedom of the press.
I am on the other side of that but I also don't believe Wikileaks is a legitimate journalistic organization. They are a foreign intelligence organization

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Rep. Waltz: Assange and Manning have 'blood on their hands'

“And let's just talk for a second about what they did. They took all of our operational files, as a Green Beret in Afghanistan, we were conducting operations night after night after night against the Taliban, Al Qaeda, later on ISIS. They took all of our operational files and particularly the sources, the local Afghans that were working with us, they did this in Iraq as well and put them all over the Internet.”

Assange was charged Thursday with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for his work aiding Chelsea Manning, then known as Bradley Manning, in cracking a password that helped her gain access to classified U.S. government files in 2010, the U.S. Justice Department announced hours after Assange's arrest in London.
Waltz said he would argue that what Assange and Manning did resulted in “deaths on the battlefield” and he would like see them serve a long sentence for their alleged crimes.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Government pulls that stunt quite a bit lately and I imagine like Bergdahl they'll never really verify the claim in any meaningful way (correct me if I missed it).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.