Twitter/Square CEO eats 1 meal per day & fasts on weekends

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Walker is a physical wonder of the world, but is certifiably nuts.
He has dissociative identy disorder.

I'm not advocating eating once a day. I was just pointing out that Herschel has done this for years yet he's a specimen. IIRC, when he was with the Cowboys he ate a couple of Big Mac's a day. That was it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I was talking to someone once who said there's such a thing as a potato chips and ice cream diet. That's all you eat for a month. Supposedly you drop quite a bit of weight.

Even though I like both potato chips and ice cream, I would get bored too quickly - doubt I'd make it past two days.

But you also gotta wonder about the suffering your health would endure with a diet like that! :eek:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
This is essentially a form of “intermittent fasting”, currently very trendy in many health and dietary circles.

The theory is built upon the premise that we evolved eating irregularly - hardly ever got three squares 7 days a week - and therefore our bodies operate more efficiently (as it evolved to do) when we intermittently fast. Of course, we also evolved without receiving regular medical checkups. And I don’t think any sane person would argue that we’d be healthier if we never visited the doctor.

Not necessarily endorsing it, but some research does support several significant health benefits, so long as it isn’t offset by binge eating and gluttony during non-fasting periods.

I actually do intermittently fast and have for several years, though not really by choice (long hours, long commute, no meal breaks). But I also offset it like a pro on the days when I’m not working. I’ve had no significant weight change - very slight loss, but have gained muscle mass and feel more healthy overall, despite a significant reduction in regular strenuous exercise.

Hard to say what all influenced these changes, and whether diet has had anything to do with it, as there’s been too many other lifestyle variables that have also changed for me over the past several years. Used to have a somewhat typical 5-day work week, and now work more hours over a 3-day work week. Used to basically sit at a desk, and now I’m mostly on my feet and moving. Etc.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is essentially a form of “intermittent fasting”, currently very trendy in many health and dietary circles.

The theory is built upon the premise that we evolved eating irregularly - hardly ever got three squares 7 days a week - and therefore our bodies operate more efficiently (as it evolved to do) when we intermittently fast. Of course, we also evolved without receiving regular medical checkups. And I don’t think any sane person would argue that we’d be healthier if we never visited the doctor.

Not necessarily endorsing it, but some research does support several significant health benefits, so long as it isn’t offset by binge eating and gluttony during non-fasting periods.

I actually do intermittently fast and have for several years, though not really by choice (long hours, long commute, no meal breaks). But I also offset it like a pro on the days when I’m not working. I’ve had no significant weight change - very slight loss, but have gained muscle mass and feel more healthy overall, despite a significant reduction in regular strenuous exercise.

Hard to say what all influenced these changes, and whether diet has had anything to do with it, as there’s been too many other lifestyle variables that have also changed for me over the past several years. Used to have a somewhat typical 5-day work week, and now work more hours over a 3-day work week. Used to basically sit at a desk, and now I’m mostly on my feet and moving. Etc.
One of the "schools of thought" regarding IF is that in our western culture, we never allow our digestive system to "catch up" and fully digest what we've already put in our bodies. Think about it. As soon as we eat one meal, we're only four maybe five hours away from another, then another and let's not forget the snacking most people do. We continue to pile on layers of food into our digestive systems. With IF, there is a 16 hour window for your body's digestive system to "catch up" and actually "rest". Which studies have found is a good and beneficial thing.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
One of the "schools of thought" regarding IF is that in our western culture, we never allow our digestive system to "catch up" and fully digest what we've already put in our bodies. Think about it. As soon as we eat one meal, we're only four maybe five hours away from another, then another and let's not forget the snacking most people do. We continue to pile on layers of food into our digestive systems. With IF, there is a 16 hour window for your body's digestive system to "catch up" and actually "rest". Which studies have found is a good and beneficial thing.
I think part of the problem is people are sitting on their posterior and not doing anything in between all these meals and snacks. They are not burning off the fat and calories they are consuming.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think part of the problem is people are sitting on their posterior and not doing anything in between all these meals and snacks. They are not burning off the fat and calories they are consuming.
A lot of it has nothing to do with "laziness" but to do with advancements in technology. There are no where near the manual labor jobs that used to exist in our society. Machines/computers etc have taken over most of those jobs. Even the lower middle class worker has a "cushy" job compared to 50 years ago. We've also become a society of recreation, entertainment and leisure. Which add that to decreased manual labor jobs and you've got literally most of society struggling to find pockets of time for physical activity.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
A lot of it has nothing to do with "laziness" but to do with advancements in technology. There are no where near the manual labor jobs that used to exist in our society. Machines/computers etc have taken over most of those jobs. Even the lower middle class worker has a "cushy" job compared to 50 years ago. We've also become a society of recreation, entertainment and leisure. Which add that to decreased manual labor jobs and you've got literally most of society struggling to find pockets of time for physical activity.
My industry will get worse. They have a lot of VR technology coming out. I can literally visit the site without actually being there. I can almost do that now. I have been sent pictures and asked what to do about the mess-up the contractor did. I still prefer getting out of the office and visiting the site. Some of my coworkers hate site visits and complain about it. I will say the individuals that complain are of a certain body type. They blame it on their "knees".

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
My industry will get worse. They have a lot of VR technology coming out. I can literally visit the site without actually being there. I can almost do that now. I have been sent pictures and asked what to do about the mess-up the contractor did. I still prefer getting out of the office and visiting the site. Some of my coworkers hate site visits and complain about it. I will say the individuals that complain are of a certain body type. They blame it on their "knees".
Back in college I would work at an ice plant during the summer. It took three people to stack the ice on a pallet, wrap the pallet then move it into the freezer. Also, the deliver trucks required two workers to go on the route. Now, with technology, one person can do all of the above.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Back in college I would work at an ice plant during the summer. It took three people to stack the ice on a pallet, wrap the pallet then move it into the freezer. Also, the deliver trucks required two workers to go on the route. Now, with technology, one person can do all of the above.
Well you would appreciate this story then, BB. When we first moved to Florida, my step father owned a small ice station - that is - a place where you could drive up, put some coins in, and the ice comes out either crushed in bags or in blocks. The town we moved to (Oak Hill) was one he grew up in and fishing and citrus were two pretty big industries (along with working at Cape Kennedy) so ice was a popular commodity. What I wanted to share with you is periodically that little ice house had to be restocked and he and I would take his late 60's Chevy Apache pickup truck to Titusville and pick up these massive solid blocks of ice that we would cover with a tarp and then haul butt back to his ice house where we would slid them into their conveyor devices. We'd first have to use ice picks and break them down into individual blocks.

That place in Titusville must have been like the place you worked at. I'm sure the one in Titusville is no longer in business as it has been almost 50 years now since those days.

This is similar to the little place my step father owned - except this one is much fancier......

I still own some of those ice picks and they always bring back memories when I use them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.