Is this the most doubt you've felt headed into a season?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To answer the OP, "NO!"

If you feel the most doubt you've ever felt ahead of the season, you must be too young to remember the ABBS (After Bryant, Before Saban) years. With the exception of a brief oasis of 1992 - 94, there were always multiple preseason concerns. Even during those years, there were consistent concerns about whether the offense could score enough.

Those were doubtful years. This isn't. Our biggest worry is at ILB -- who will start next to Moses, and who among our talented backups will provide depth. About 130 other teams would love to trade their problems for ours.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No.

But then again, I'm old enough to remember the trepidation heading into 1998, 2001, and 2003.

College football fans are notorious over-reactors.

2011's defense - which everyone assumes we should have every year - was a SUPER AWESOME defense, not the new expected normal.

Last year's final game doesn't define last season, either. It's a disappointing end - but we didn't suddenly forget how to do stuff.

The rats all jumped off the ship - if you want me to be a little bit crass. Virtually none of the coaching staff that failed is left - save the one who has been a success everywhere.

Something tells me the intensity behind closed doors is like the lawyer of a woman scorned.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
I feel good about this team. Last year too many distractions and I think they gobbled up too much rat poison. I expect much better pass rush and better DBs, ILB will be a wash or improve. I think O will grind out more drives vs the quick strike love affair.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I am more confident this year for 3 reasons.

1. The O-line should be able to control the LOS much better.
2. The secondary will be very good and has the potential to be one of the best, if not the best Saban has had in Tuscaloosa.
3. The assistants as a whole are better teachers and I believe Sark will be more in tune with the identity Saban wants.

BTW, anyone else see this idiotic column saying we should be nervous regarding TUA?

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...r-spring-should-give-alabama-fans-chills.html

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I am more confident this year for 3 reasons.

1. The O-line should be able to control the LOS much better.
2. The secondary will be very good and has the potential to be one of the best, if not the best Saban has had in Tuscaloosa.
3. The assistants as a whole are better teachers and I believe Sark will be more in tune with the identity Saban wants.

BTW, anyone else see this idiotic column saying we should be nervous regarding TUA?

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...r-spring-should-give-alabama-fans-chills.html
Joseph Goodman said our basketball team would be better without Colin Sexton this past season too.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Joseph Goodman said our basketball team would be better without Colin Sexton this past season too.
I remember that! I guess he figures idiotic columns get more clicks...... On a side note, reading a column on AL.COM about the Booger eating Barn’s spring game, they will have 3 Heisman candidates at QB and the most prolific offense in CFB history.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I remember that! I guess he figures idiotic columns get more clicks...... On a side note, reading a column on AL.COM about the Booger eating Barn’s spring game, they will have 3 Heisman candidates at QB and the most prolific offense in CFB history.
Goodman is a tool. He’s trying to play the Scarbinsky game: Say something outlandish. If it comes close to happening then “See I told you so”. If it doesn’t say “You realize I was halfway joking about that right?”

Those three Heisman trophy winning QBs will need to throw those TD passes from flat on their backs. That o line still bad.

And get ready for the patented Kevin Steele “grab and hold” secondary. Still don’t know how to turn their heads and look for the football.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Goodman is a tool. He’s trying to play the Scarbinsky game: Say something outlandish. If it comes close to happening then “See I told you so”. If it doesn’t say “You realize I was halfway joking about that right?”

Those three Heisman trophy winning QBs will need to throw those TD passes from flat on their backs. That o line still bad.

And get ready for the patented Kevin Steele “grab and hold” secondary. Still don’t know how to turn their heads and look for the football.
+1
:)

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
We are better positioned than last year. Last year, the DBs were essentially green and our offensive identity was confused. We developed OL problems along the way. This year, the DBs are more seasoned, the OL should be more solid. The only real question are the LBs, where there's plenty of talent. Best of all, I feel much, much better with this coaching staff. Only a true worrier could be more worried than last year...
I agree with you, especially on the coaching front....... the departures of certain coaches and how they acted when they left makes it appear their heads weren’t in it and Bama was a stepping stone...... I think Bama will be fine with this group

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I’m worried that we will lose every game this year! I hope Nick has a plan to at least keep it close against New Mexico St. this thread is a little comical, I mean ‘the most doubt’, seriously? I remember when we waited until we played Arkansas every year to see where we were as a program. Those were doubt filled years!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
The schedule sets up for us. We should be fine. UGA will find a way to lose again. Us and Clemson to settle it again. We’ll see. But, I love our chances.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
There's quite a few things I doubt in life, but, ever since Coach Saban became our HC Crimson Tide Football isn't one of those things..Never doubt "The Process"..

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
I’m more worried about playing Auburn at home in November. Nothing else really concerns me at this point.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I became concerned with CNS's health earlier this spring in his press conferences but did not mention to avoid conjecture. Definitely relieved to hear that it was a hip joint issue and he was likely on pain relievers or steroids to relieve the pain and allow him to function as normal.

Even with the loss of Q it appears from A Day that the defense may turn out to be stronger this year in terms of pressuring the QB off the edges and in pass coverage.

For me each summer it is difficult to see the team getting through the SEC schedule unscathed. I see plenty of challenges then there is Georgia sitting at the end of a successful regular season.

With the strength of this recruiting class I tend to wonder if a more talented team may still be to come be in 2020 but that requires deeper analysis.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.