Is this the most doubt you've felt headed into a season? - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Southern Adirondack mountains of upstate NY

Re: Is this the most doubt you've felt headed into a season?

been a bama fan since 1969, i have seen much worse odds...............( i was 10 by the way).........as coach stallings once said, i like our chances.............roll tide

BamaNation Second Team

I'm thinking Clemson may be more likely to stumble this year than us. Nothing focuses the mind like a loss....and few things are more challenging than a repeat. A&M on 9-7?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

If they don't lose to Aggy (its in Clemson this year), I don't think they're gonna lose before the playoffs.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Clemson will beat the breaks off Texas AM. I think they are more vulnerable to an upset loss like Pitt several years ago.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Clemson will beat the breaks off Texas AM. I think they are more vulnerable to an upset loss like Pitt several years ago.
    I'm not so sure - A&M will be better in year two under Jimbo. A&M might be the surprise team in the W this season.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Second Team

I haven't read every reply yet so if this has been said already I'm sorry. If your like me and approaching 50 years old then the answer is a definite NO! I started becoming a fan in about 1983 at the age of 13, and there was always doubt about the start to a season for me. The doubting slowly diminished for me in 2009. By the way, if anybody can answer a question for me I would appreciate it. Was Alabama football on TV every week when I started watching Bama games (1983)? I live in Florence so I'm sure it could have been a regional TV audience, and we had a TV antenna on top of the house and only got 4 channels. For some reason I don't remember much about being 13. Anyway it's just a silly question that I'm throwing out there, Thanks.

I was a freshman in '84. ESPN was a fledgling operation, Chris Berman was a field reporter!!! My folks back in Chicago couldn't watch most of the Bama games. Not sure if that helps or not, mine is more of a national take, but it was a quick/fun memory trip for me!!! RTR!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecraj View Post
    I haven't read every reply yet so if this has been said already I'm sorry. If your like me and approaching 50 years old then the answer is a definite NO! I started becoming a fan in about 1983 at the age of 13, and there was always doubt about the start to a season for me. The doubting slowly diminished for me in 2009. By the way, if anybody can answer a question for me I would appreciate it. Was Alabama football on TV every week when I started watching Bama games (1983)? I live in Florence so I'm sure it could have been a regional TV audience, and we had a TV antenna on top of the house and only got 4 channels. For some reason I don't remember much about being 13. Anyway it's just a silly question that I'm throwing out there, Thanks.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by ecraj View Post
    I'm a decade older, and my recollection was that fewer than half the games were available on TV until about 20 years ago. But I lived outside the south for much of that time, and Bama wasn't the national brand that it is today, so there were probably a lot of regionally broadcast games that I missed.

To answer the main question on this thread, Nick Saban has earned my trust, and I don't have any doubt any year that we will be NC contenders through at least the end of the regular season, and probably beyond. We've had previous years where we ended with an ugly loss (Utah in 08 and Oklahoma in 13) and bounced back just fine. I don't think the reload this year is much different from any prior year in the Saban era. The strength of the team last year was at quarterback and wide receiver, and that won't change. The relative weak spots, inside linebacker, corners and kickers, should be improved. Position coaching was also suspect in some areas last year, and that is probably fixed now. Saban also knows how to use a bad loss to motivate (see Florida 2009, LSU NC game 2012), so I think the Clemson loss will be a great psychological motivator for us.

Look at it this way. For the last decade, if you had bet Bama against the field for the NC, you would have broken even. Let that sink in. This year won't be any different.

Please God let us get Clemson in the playoffs again this year.
    Last edited by Blueguitar; April 19th, 2019 at 09:29 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

In the 70' and 80's TV coverage was just on the main networks.

IIRC, Bama would only be on TV for big games like big home and home series like (Bama/USC, Bama/Penn St.), or big conference games (UT, Auburn) or bowl games.

My guess would be we'd be on TV about 3-4 games a year and Keith Jackson and ABC would show up for most of them.

I know for a fact that I caught more Bama games on the radio than tv in the late 70's and 80's.

BamaNation All-SEC luvthat_TIDE's Avatar

Nooooooooooo way

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    It's the most preseason doubt I've had since 2007....sure.

We just got skulldrug in a National Championship game. No built in go to excuse this time like 'It was a consolation bowl'.

It was THE GAME for THE TITLE and we got whipped, mudholed and walked dry, bludgeoned, destroyed etc etc.

On Paper the 2019 team will certainly be talented enough to go 15-0 but there are too many X factors for me to be confident.

Will ANYONE step up on the Defensive side and be THE LEADER?? What will team chemistry be like in general? Can we navigate the landmine that is playing AU in JH??

Will the Defense be better or worse? What will fuel them if they make the Playoffs and Clemson isn't there? What will fuel them if Clemson IS there?

Will the players actually properly prepare themselves this time for both Playoff games or will Key guys be more preoccupied with the NFL Draft and Twitter??

Can they even beat Clemson with both teams on almost equal footing (Talent) because Clemson definitely had the better coaching staff last year?

Can our Coaching Staff hold their own vs. Clemson? It's a huge unknown.
    As long as some people are posting stuff like this for the players and coaches to read, I feel very, very good about 2019. Stay thirsty my friends.

BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blueguitar View Post
    As long as some people are posting stuff like this for the players and coaches to read, I feel very, very good about 2019. Stay thirsty my friends.
    I feel I posed several valid questions.

If I have any kind of reputation here it's more 'Sunshine Pumper' than 'Eeyore'....

In fact I'm the moron who posted a thread 8 games into last season asking if it was the Best 8-0 start to a season... EVER?

I'll admit I was drunk off how explosive the offensive was thanks to Tua, the WR Corp, Irv, and the play-calling of Locks.

But after that slap back to reality that was the CFPCG it's easier to see we had major defensive problems all year long from certain players to the coaches. I think we just kept hoping it was getting better when it wasn't and the Elite teams at the end exposed our deficiencies.

There's no need in rehashing every detail but long story short..... we have lost a LOT of ELITE Defensive players to the draft 3 years in a row and it seems to have finally caught up to us in the sense that we haven't had enough time or the right players come in yet to be able to run our complete/complicated defense.... and losing Pruitt/not properly replacing him was devastating to boot.

Then overall we have basically completely changed the entire coaching staff on both sides of the ball TWO years in a row, save for a few key mainstays.

So.... I mean yeah.... it's pretty valid to have some degree of concerns and questions after multiple years of mass coaching and player turnover.

I DID say we could go 15-0 with the talent we have..... it's not like I just blasted the whole complex and said we'll be lucky to win the SEC West or anything.

Plus IF anyone that's a part of the team needs motivation from random fans on the internet then we've got even bigger problems.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

The championship game was hard to take and does need to serve as a focus on getting better, but Clemson in addition to being a better "team" got a few breaks. For instance after the fake punt our corner chooses that moment to get hurt allowing their receiver to house the short pass. The whole game was like that. I don't want to call it luck, but let's just say that infrequently is a team able to take advantage of every opportunity so effectively, even when they are better. They also had that defensive line, when in today's college football do a bunch of NFL eligible all stars choose to stay in school? Certainly we have not been so lucky and I don't know if Clemson will again unless Dabo has some power of persuasion that is beyond the rest of us.

This season in my opinion we just have to get better on defense. Every time we faced a good offense last season we just got tore up. This has to end, I know nobody's going to stop good offenses under the current rule set but allowing points is one thing, allowing 40 points is something else.
    BS 1989