Is this the most doubt you've felt headed into a season? - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Is this the most doubt you've felt headed into a season?

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    The championship game was hard to take and does need to serve as a focus on getting better, but Clemson in addition to being a better "team" got a few breaks. For instance after the fake punt our corner chooses that moment to get hurt allowing their receiver to house the short pass. The whole game was like that. I don't want to call it luck, but let's just say that infrequently is a team able to take advantage of every opportunity so effectively, even when they are better. They also had that defensive line, when in today's college football do a bunch of NFL eligible all stars choose to stay in school? Certainly we have not been so lucky and I don't know if Clemson will again unless Dabo has some power of persuasion that is beyond the rest of us.

This season in my opinion we just have to get better on defense. Every time we faced a good offense last season we just got tore up. This has to end, I know nobody's going to stop good offenses under the current rule set but allowing points is one thing, allowing 40 points is something else.
    I don't remember it being discussed too much, but their QB, after a slow start, just had "one of those games" that Gary Danielson used to say a QB needed to beat Bama. Obviously, he's better than Stephen Garcia, but he had a Stephen Garcia game too where he was putting the ball in the perfect places. And he and Ross were connecting telapathicly, or so it seemed, with those back shoulder throws.

Make no mistake about it, we gave them plenty of openings to take advantage of but they played a great, opportunistic game.

BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar

I have no doubt we'll be in the NC hunt this year. Losing the NC game like we did still stings, but it does nothing but make me even more excited for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ecraj View Post
    By the way, if anybody can answer a question for me I would appreciate it. Was Alabama football on TV every week when I started watching Bama games (1983)? I live in Florence so I'm sure it could have been a regional TV audience, and we had a TV antenna on top of the house and only got 4 channels. For some reason I don't remember much about being 13. Anyway it's just a silly question that I'm throwing out there, Thanks.
    Up to mid- to late-70's, the NCAA owned TV rights to college football games, and had control over which games were broadcast on national TV (as I recall). Then, some of the major conferences formed the College Football Association to negotiate TV contracts and the number of games per week increased from 1 or 2 to 5 or 6 as I recall. Then ESPN rose to prominence and in late 80's / early 90's Notre Dame withdrew from the CFA and entered into a contract with NBC, which led to what we have today.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I don't remember it being discussed too much, but their QB, after a slow start, just had "one of those games" that Gary Danielson used to say a QB needed to beat Bama. Obviously, he's better than Stephen Garcia, but he had a Stephen Garcia game too where he was putting the ball in the perfect places. And he and Ross were connecting telapathicly, or so it seemed, with those back shoulder throws.

Make no mistake about it, we gave them plenty of openings to take advantage of but they played a great, opportunistic game.
    A "Stephen Garcia" game refers to a mediocre quarterback becoming an elite quarterback for one day. Lawerence is probably THE BEST qb in the country, and we just didn't have the horses to put up a fight against him. So I don't think passing it off as a "Stephen Garcia" game is accurate. Its more like Lawerence had a "Deshaun Watson" kinda game
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Lawrence made maybe two impressive throws all game. I'm not bashing him but I think we were awful more than he was "best." I still think Tua is the best QB in the country. What happened is exactly what happens when your defense has no ability to rush the passer and your secondary can't cover for even 3 seconds. A QB with a good arm and a quality WR corp will do what he did to our defense every time. Hell, it happened the previous game two games leading up to the CFPCG against two future 1st round QBs.
    Last edited by rgw; April 21st, 2019 at 12:00 PM.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Lawrence made maybe two impressive throws all game. .
    I think there were about 10-15 more.

I'm not bashing him but I think we were awful more than he was "best.".
    Maybe, but at some point you have to give the man the credit he deserves. We destroyed that same Clemson team a year prior when they had Kelly Bryant.

I still think Tua is the best QB in the country. .
    Maybe, but Trevor Lawerence is more willing to make safe reads instead of always going for the home run ball than Tua... That much was certain

What happened is exactly what happens when your defense has no ability to rush the passer and your secondary can't cover for even 3 seconds. .
    Trevor's height gives him an almost unfair advantage in a RPO system. It also doesn't help that our best cornerback, and our two best linebackers were out. Trevor's vision and accuracy were the death of us along with the worst offensive playcalling since the 2013 Iron Bowl.

A QB with a good arm and a quality WR corp will do what he did to our defense every time. Hell, it happened the previous game two games leading up to the CFPCG against two future 1st round QBs.
    Yet the majority of the average fanbase thought the Clemson game was going to be the easiest of the three. Clemson and Lawerence are elite commodities.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; April 21st, 2019 at 12:27 PM.

Hannibal

Alabama’s 2017 defense is the one that whipped Kelly Bryant, not the 2018 defense. Pretty significant difference.

Lawrence is a great QB. Alabama played poor enough to make him look excellent that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Lawrence is a great QB. Alabama played poor enough to make him look excellent that night.
    Agreed. Watson was a great QB playing at an elite level against some great defenses. Lawrence was a true freshman QB made to look like a veteran by a pretty mediocre Alabama defense

BamaNation Third Team

Kelly Bryant was beaten out early in the season by Trevor Lawrence.

The difference in their abilities was huge and obvious.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I feel very confident. Clemson was better prepared than Bama because they had been practicing for that game for a year and Bama was worn down by a tougher schedule. I fully expect the defense to be much better this year and the offense will be the best in the country. Injuries can change anything, but if our team stays healthy, enjoy the show.
    This!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

2015-2017 defenses were all significantly better than 2018. 2016 was arguably the best defense of the Saban era and 2017 wasn't far behind when healthy. The gap between 2015 and 2018 is significant. What Watson did in 2015 and 2016 is more impressive. Also I find it hard to praise Lawrence for an ability to check it down when most of his yardage came on 3rd and long bombs where the secondary didn't cover or got completely whooped.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    A "Stephen Garcia" game refers to a mediocre quarterback becoming an elite quarterback for one day. Lawerence is probably THE BEST qb in the country, and we just didn't have the horses to put up a fight against him. So I don't think passing it off as a "Stephen Garcia" game is accurate. Its more like Lawerence had a "Deshaun Watson" kinda game
    I said he's better than SG. The point was he played better than he normally would. But it was more of an acknowledgement that it takes great QB play to beat a Bama team. They got all they needed from him and then some.

Also I find it hard to praise Lawrence for an ability to check it down when most of his yardage came on 3rd and long bombs where the secondary didn't cover or got completely whooped.
    I don't consider two 5-10 yard catches that turn into a huge game and a house call"bombs", I consider them good check downs and poor tackling. Tua missed numerous wide open receivers for trying for the home run. There is a clear difference between how Lawerence played and how Tua did.

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Is this the most doubt you've felt headed into a season?

Bama lost like 9 guys on defense. It was a totally different crew with almost ZERO experience or depth. They were the depth the year before. I think the staff realizes the young bucks have to see serious action to have the experience needed to help down the stretch. The days of no rotation for the big DLs is over. It won’t work in the new era of offenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk