Is this the most doubt you've felt headed into a season?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
2015-2017 defenses were all significantly better than 2018. 2016 was arguably the best defense of the Saban era and 2017 wasn't far behind when healthy. The gap between 2015 and 2018 is significant. What Watson did in 2015 and 2016 is more impressive. Also I find it hard to praise Lawrence for an ability to check it down when most of his yardage came on 3rd and long bombs where the secondary didn't cover or got completely whooped.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A "Stephen Garcia" game refers to a mediocre quarterback becoming an elite quarterback for one day. Lawerence is probably THE BEST qb in the country, and we just didn't have the horses to put up a fight against him. So I don't think passing it off as a "Stephen Garcia" game is accurate. Its more like Lawerence had a "Deshaun Watson" kinda game
I said he's better than SG. The point was he played better than he normally would. But it was more of an acknowledgement that it takes great QB play to beat a Bama team. They got all they needed from him and then some.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Also I find it hard to praise Lawrence for an ability to check it down when most of his yardage came on 3rd and long bombs where the secondary didn't cover or got completely whooped.
I don't consider two 5-10 yard catches that turn into a huge game and a house call"bombs", I consider them good check downs and poor tackling. Tua missed numerous wide open receivers for trying for the home run. There is a clear difference between how Lawerence played and how Tua did.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Bama lost like 9 guys on defense. It was a totally different crew with almost ZERO experience or depth. They were the depth the year before. I think the staff realizes the young bucks have to see serious action to have the experience needed to help down the stretch. The days of no rotation for the big DLs is over. It won’t work in the new era of offenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
We are better positioned than last year. Last year, the DBs were essentially green and our offensive identity was confused. We developed OL problems along the way. This year, the DBs are more seasoned, the OL should be more solid. The only real question are the LBs, where there's plenty of talent. Best of all, I feel much, much better with this coaching staff. Only a true worrier could be more worried than last year...
This is so spot on. ANYONE who truly knows football was worried about last year. A lot of folks were warning [emoji3544] us about the defense playing with fire and the internal “me me me” attitudes of some. Honestly the 2017 win shocked me more than the loss last year. Bama has no business contending with the injuries suffered. To me it was Saban’s best coaching effort EVER! That team lost TWELVE guys to the draft. Many were blinded by the record setting offense and thought that the old mantra that defense wins championships could be overcome or ignored outright. Clemson brought all of it back to the ground and back to reality. I have much more faith in this squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
"ANYONE who truly knows football was worried about last year"

The sad thing is how so many swallow anything spouted out by ESPN as absolute truth.

If ESPN says, they believe it.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I think this team is one tight end and one inside linebacker from being a locked-in-stone national title contender. And that's not much to be that worried about. We know Miller Forristall can catch, and I am willing to bet someone like Shawn Lee winds up being a difference maker inside. Other than that it is just a matter of who does what kind of kicking.

If you are worried about this season, don't even begin thinking about what's going to happen after this coming year, because one draft guru I have heard on the radio said we would likely lose as many as EIGHT guys early to the NFL in next years draft. Off of the OFFENSE!

rtr

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think this team is one tight end and one inside linebacker from being a locked-in-stone national title contender. And that's not much to be that worried about. We know Miller Forristall can catch, and I am willing to bet someone like Shawn Lee winds up being a difference maker inside. Other than that it is just a matter of who does what kind of kicking.

If you are worried about this season, don't even begin thinking about what's going to happen after this coming year, because one draft guru I have heard on the radio said we would likely lose as many as EIGHT guys early to the NFL in next years draft. Off of the OFFENSE!

rtr
On our team this year: I agree we are so "loaded" it's hard to not see it even without Crimson colored glasses. The only "negative" is "how" we lost last year. But it's already being used as motivation for this year.

On next year: We are sure to lose Tua, Najee and the big 3 receivers...all will be true juniors this year. They are all gone. That's just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
rtr
I agree. It also occurred to me that what you said could be said in the preseason about just about every Nick Saban team of the last 10-12 years:

"I think this team is one [position on offense] and one [position on defense] from being a locked-in-stone national title contender. And that's not much to be that worried about. We know [rising young talent] can [do whatever we need done], and I am willing to bet someone like [another rising young talent] winds up being a difference maker inside. Other than that it is just a matter of who does what kind of kicking."

Its the same basic, story every year, including (usually) the part about the kicking, unfortunately.;)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree. It also occurred to me that what you said could be said in the preseason about just about every Nick Saban team of the last 10-12 years:

"I think this team is one [position on offense] and one [position on defense] from being a locked-in-stone national title contender. And that's not much to be that worried about. We know [rising young talent] can [do whatever we need done], and I am willing to bet someone like [another rising young talent] winds up being a difference maker inside. Other than that it is just a matter of who does what kind of kicking."

Its the same basic, story every year, including (usually) the part about the kicking, unfortunately.;)
Even that is much better, supposedly. (I know we've heard it before)...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Clemson will beat the breaks off Texas AM. I think they are more vulnerable to an upset loss like Pitt several years ago.
I'm not so sure about "beat the brakes off". They more than likely will win. But if Dabo is able to field a defensive front seven that is equal to the one that left, it's probably time to start drawing up his contract offer. Because I have real doubts that Clemson will be able to sustain the defensive prowess as they did last season. Jimbo's offense in year two will be much harder to defend. Jimbo and company put 500 yards and 26 points on that defense last season. Again, I'm not predicting an Aggie win, I just don't think Clemson will run them out of the stadium.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Clemson will beat the breaks off Texas AM. I think they are more vulnerable to an upset loss like Pitt several years ago.
Not sure about the assessment of the TAMU game but agree that Clemson will not be able to look past FSU this year and Miami with Tate Martell is a team to watch in the ACC championship.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Sounds like 'ol Tate may not even win the job @ Thug U...First marquee guy in the portal twice? :Joker_PDT_12: on TideFans.com
Not sure about the assessment of the TAMU game but agree that Clemson will not be able to look past FSU this year and Miami with Tate Martell is a team to watch in the ACC championship.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Sounds like 'ol Tate may not even win the job @ Thug U...First marquee guy in the portal twice? :Joker_PDT_12: on TideFans.com
Saw that they have a three horse race but that Martell looked good in the Spring Game. Anyway a guy can hope for someone to give Clemson a game.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Even that is much better, supposedly. (I know we've heard it before)...
I give CNS the benefit of the doubt on almost everything, but when it comes to kicking I always reserve judgment until I see what Paul Punter or Kevin Kicker can do in a big game. Though I do feel that with a name like Skyler DeLong, it would be a damn shame if that kid doesn't develop into a special punter before he is done.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I give CNS the benefit of the doubt on almost everything, but when it comes to kicking I always reserve judgment until I see what Paul Punter or Kevin Kicker can do in a big game. Though I do feel that with a name like Skyler DeLong, it would be a damn shame if that kid doesn't develop into a special punter before he is done.
I'm no kicking expert, but even with the naked eye there was something different about the freshman from Hoovers spin. Reminded me a little of how the ball looked coming off of Leigh Tiffin's foot.

It remains to be seen, as you say, how that will translate in real game situations.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just hope someone in the ACC can give them some competition, so they can't practice for us all year. It's beginning to look like the old Bobby Bowden ACC, and he was brutally honest about why he went into the ACC instead of the SEC...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I just hope someone in the ACC can give them some competition, so they can't practice for us all year. It's beginning to look like the old Bobby Bowden ACC, and he was brutally honest about why he went into the ACC instead of the SEC...
Yep. Ole Bobby made no bones about it and it didn't seem to bother him either. It's not like him admitting that made his team any less of a quality team. Just like I don't think Clemson is any less of a quality team. They just had the benefit of playing in a conference that gave them enough competition to keep them sharp but not enough to really threaten their dominance of it. It was great practice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.