Is this the most doubt you've felt headed into a season?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
not even close. I felt way worse going into last season. Going into 2018 on defense we had to replace 2 DL starters (and a top reserve), both ILB starters (and the most experienced reserve - this worried me the most, since Sabans first season we had always had at least one returning ILB as an understudy who would then have the experience to be the playcaller the next year), and the 6 DB starters from the dime package. Basically from the nickel package that we run the most frequently we only returned Davis and Jennings. 2018 was the least experienced defense we've had in a long, long time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kids - sometimes they say silly things.

Alabama wins #18 this year and Tua gets the Heisman that he should have won last year.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I seriously think, barring injury, we will slaughter everybody and go undefeated. If we stay healthy, I like our team MUCH better than all the others. Georgia will be very good and so will Clemson, but tell me: would you switch teams with either? I wouldn't.

Plus, Saban has a mad on.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do feel much better about this coaching staff and the offense. The defense is the question mark. As an aside, if this teams plays for revenge it will not win the NC or likely the SEC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do feel much better about this coaching staff and the offense. The defense is the question mark. As an aside, if this teams plays for revenge it will not win the NC or likely the SEC.
Wrong. It is a huge motivating force.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
2009 and 2011 teams disagree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I re-watched the championship game and yes, Clemson took advantage of every opportunity they had. We generated zero pass rush and let Lawrence take his sweet time. And to his credit, he did what was needed. We'll be better at DB with Jobe and Diggs in the rotation, Anoma looks ready to be the rusher we need, and our offense is still dripping with skill players. Clemson gets to enjoy being hunted and I think we're sitting pretty barring injuries at key spots.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I felt pretty pessimistic going into a lot of years during the 3 Mike regimes. Since CNS arrived, it’s fun again. We lost to a very good Clemson team for a lot of reasons.
This 2019 team will be fine. Sit back and enjoy the ride! RTR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
yeah, but not nearly the number of questions the defense had last year. when the 2018 defense took the field for the first time the entire back half of the defense, including both ILBs and all 5 DBs had a combined 7 starts between them all - wilson and moses with two each, DT with 2 and Diggs with 1 (but didn't play that entire game - giving way to Wallace).

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’m confident we will hit double digit wins, blow out everyone until November 1st, and compete for a spot in the playoffs but I have two concerns—the inevitable schedule flip(@ the barn) at a crucial part of the season, and will certain players be looking more at preparing for the 2020 draft vs trying to win a NC?

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
I feel confident. Offense is gonna light it up, like OU did last year.
Defense is less talented than last year.

Coaching and motivation . This is where we lost the NC last year. Dabo had his guys on point.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's the most preseason doubt I've had since 2007....sure.

We just got skulldrug in a National Championship game. No built in go to excuse this time like 'It was a consolation bowl'.

It was THE GAME for THE TITLE and we got whipped, mudholed and walked dry, bludgeoned, destroyed etc etc.

On Paper the 2019 team will certainly be talented enough to go 15-0 but there are too many X factors for me to be confident.

Will ANYONE step up on the Defensive side and be THE LEADER?? What will team chemistry be like in general? Can we navigate the landmine that is playing AU in JH??

Will the Defense be better or worse? What will fuel them if they make the Playoffs and Clemson isn't there? What will fuel them if Clemson IS there?

Will the players actually properly prepare themselves this time for both Playoff games or will Key guys be more preoccupied with the NFL Draft and Twitter??

Can they even beat Clemson with both teams on almost equal footing (Talent) because Clemson definitely had the better coaching staff last year?

Can our Coaching Staff hold their own vs. Clemson? It's a huge unknown.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
For everyone, there’s absolutely no reason for any Alabama fan to be what Donald Rumsfeld and Spiro Agnew both labeled: “nattering nabobs of negativity.”

You lost one game last year....get real. 100 percent agree with old timers here who witnessed Shula (and other) seasons when teams like Auburn and Tennessee were routinely embarrassing Alabama.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
NOPE.
I see an experienced QB, experienced RB, Experienced Receivers...
I see guys on O and D with a ton of playing time.
I see a better kicking game.

I also see assistant coaches with more experience, and better teachers than what we had.

I SEE A TEAM WHO JUST MAY FEEL THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO PROVE THIS YEAR.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
The Clemson game was the game I worried about the most last year. I was pretty confident the whole season which made me extremely nervous in itself. But I had a very uneasy feeling that Clemson was going to beat us and knock our egos down a notch. What I look forward to is the next time we play Clemson, losses like this alwasy seem to light a very hot fire

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.