Game Thread: A-Day Game (1pm CDT on ESPN2) & Gameday info

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Some of you are overlooking the amount of stuff going on in spring.

Baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, track, golf.

Prom.

All sort of benefits and city festivals.

Church stuff, especially pre-Easter.

Even fandom has its limits.
This is too true.

Last edited:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I think A-Day has kinda got the bad rap of being "Gump Day" where all the non-alum "sidewalk fans" descend upon the town. I don't think the local alums and students support it in the way they did early in the Saban tenure because those types don't want to be around all the hoi polloi.
I guess I'm one of the Gumps you so eloquently refer to. No, I didn't attend the UofA. Don't mean I don't love Bama any less than you. I drove over 4 hrs with my daughter to get there yesterday and enjoy the team on the field.
Considering the weather I think the crowd was pretty good. Also, softball was going on among other things.
Take A-Day for what it is. A practice that the public is allowed to go see. They're not gonna show the true playbook and are going to use the time to work on things that need to be worked on.
A-Day is what it is because there's simply not much for fans to do other than shopping and eating on campus.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I don’t see how Sark could screw up his accuracy? He hasn’t changed his throwing motion. It’s a new offense, with different reads. That’s what spring ball is for. I thought Tua threw the ball well enough. You could tell they were working on certain things, not just playing a scrimmage game. There were no plays setting up plays( which was actually a knock on Sark in Atl) , the running game wasn’t all that it could be and the offensive line needs a little work. Also, some of those touch sacks in the game would not be sacks in live games. I was actually impressed by some of the things the offense accomplished.
Just remember that Tua ran the same offense for a year, with all the timing and reps that comes with that, before he ever took the field in competitive football. He can take the spring lessons and work on them in the summer with receivers, this is a contract year for Tua, Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith and Harris. I expect them to put in the extra work for a high round draft grade!

Dang, I sound just like a Falcon fan during the 2017 season!
Plus all those dropped passes..................if those are caught, the numbers look a lot better.............Not real worried about Tua........

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess I'm one of the Gumps you so eloquently refer to. No, I didn't attend the UofA. Don't mean I don't love Bama any less than you. I drove over 4 hrs with my daughter to get there yesterday and enjoy the team on the field.
Considering the weather I think the crowd was pretty good. Also, softball was going on among other things.
Take A-Day for what it is. A practice that the public is allowed to go see. They're not gonna show the true playbook and are going to use the time to work on things that need to be worked on.
A-Day is what it is because there's simply not much for fans to do other than shopping and eating on campus.
Sorry if you took my frank analysis of what I believe some alums and students may think as an expression of my own opinion. I wasn't clear about where I stood on the matter. Some of the biggest supporters of this program never dusted the door of any classroom here and that is a cool aspect of this school and football program.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I am with you, my family kept between 4 to 8 season tickets for the better part of 30 years, and I have TidePride Plaques hanging on the wall of my hobby room . I’m no longer a season ticket holder, haven’t been since 2007 , so I guess that makes me ‘sidewalk’. I have 2 nieces that have graduate degrees, so maybe I can be “Uncle’d” in.

A-day was always the time that bridged the Bowl game and fall practice where you could get together with distant friends and fans and discuss the upcoming season , tailgate and swap war stories . A time to get out in the warmer weather after a long winter. It really wasn’t much about the game. The game was more a scouting trip to size up the upcoming season. Inside the stadium I always watched technique, young players , qb reads, Lb reads and such. It’s practice , not a game. I enjoy watching football, even practice, so it’s always fun for me!
I didn’t attend this year because I really thought it was next weekend, I didn’t even realize it was on until just before halftime.

It is said that fans won’t support a loser. Well, maybe winning too much has the same effect????

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I took our two youngest, one of whom got to play with the MDB on the quad and during the game. So that was cool.

And I know two people in my household didn't go to A-day because of prom.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The crowds, to be that low, have to be attributed to the weather. This was less than half the size of the smallest crowd since Saban arrived at Alabama. All of the other things are factors every year. Tornados change a person's focus.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Remarks occasioned by some those above - Saban referenced the vanilla game plan's favoring the defense. The real worry is a spring game when the offense is far ahead. Saban has also made it clear that it's not Sark's offense - "We do what we do." IOW, Sark will add some quirks, but it's still going to be Saban's offense (and defense). The only offense we've had which diverted at bit from that was Kiffin, whom Saban gave unusual freedom with the offense. You'll notice that there's little of Kiff's influence left. Finally, Tua has said that he's working on multiple reads or something like that. I interpret that to mean no more underneath receivers running open while he holds the ball hoping for a low-percentage throw downfield. I thing it'll mess with his mind for a while. OTOH, he's a very bright kid, as well as being physically gifted. He'll get it...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Finally, Tua has said that he's working on multiple reads or something like that. I interpret that to mean no more underneath receivers running open while he holds the ball hoping for a low-percentage throw downfield. I thing it'll mess with his mind for a while. OTOH, he's a very bright kid, as well as being physically gifted. He'll get it...
Yes, he'll get it.

We struck big and fast last year. It was fun and great, but it put our defense at a disadvantage. And then when we met the better defensive teams striking big and fast was taken away and our offense struggled.

So, taking the "underneath" stuff will cause us to have longer drives and we'll be better in the long run of wearing out defenses with our ground game and passing game. Should be more balanced and it really fits the typical CNS type offensive MO.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Blackledge also dropped this little gem Saturday. He predicted our offense next year would feature more "bunch" receiver formations. The idea would be to confuse secondaries and get uncovered guys in empty spaces. Tua will eat that up with his quick thinking, release and accuracy.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think a single recruit has ever used A-Day attendance as a deciding factor in their choice to play at Alabama. Not a single one. When we had capacity crowds it was cool. Neat. Something to brag about. But it's never been a deciding factor in recruiting. That goes for the Spring games elsewhere as well.

I know it was special for Coach Saban that the house was full for his first A-Day. But I don't think we need to be down on ourselves for the decline in attendance either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.