News Article: Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So sad.....such an iconic structure. I toured it back in 2000 and recall it being the highlight of our time in Paris.

Sorry if I missed it, but I haven't heard if there were any injuries from the fire, or what actually started it?

don't think that they know yet about how it started, lots of speculation about the renovations that were ongoing leading to it so far

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So sad.....such an iconic structure. I toured it back in 2000 and recall it being the highlight of our time in Paris.

Sorry if I missed it, but I haven't heard if there were any injuries from the fire, or what actually started it?
I had heard one firefighter was injured but haven't heard if there were other injuries. As far as what started it, nothing but speculation so far.

A project my firm worked on had a fire during construction. It was started by a construction worker welding near insulation. This might be a possibility.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I had heard one firefighter was injured but haven't heard if there were other injuries. As far as what started it, nothing but speculation so far.

A project my firm worked on had a fire during construction. It was started by a construction worker welding near insulation. This might be a possibility.
What I read this morning indicated the one firefighter was the only injury, which is amazing. Reportedly over 400 firefighters plus who knows how many onlookers, and only one person gets injured?

Maggie Koerth-Baker said in her Twitter thread I mentioned a few pages ago that she couldn't find anything to say what company was doing the renovation. Doesn't that seem strange? Would expect the firm(s) to make a pretty big deal about getting to work on such a historic property.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
What I read this morning indicated the one firefighter was the only injury, which is amazing. Reportedly over 400 firefighters plus who knows how many onlookers, and only one person gets injured?

Maggie Koerth-Baker said in her Twitter thread I mentioned a few pages ago that she couldn't find anything to say what company was doing the renovation. Doesn't that seem strange? Would expect the firm(s) to make a pretty big deal about getting to work on such a historic property.
There is only a handful of companies that specialize in this type of work in each state in the US. I would imagine it is the same for other countries. It cannot be very hard to find out.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
You guys created a whole forum for non-political stuff. How about don't put it in the political board if you don't want politics to be a part of the thread? You guys created the safe space board for a reason. So take it there. Pretty sure a conversation about the architecture would fit perfectly well there if you don't want it to be about anything else.
The discussion of this particular issue on the board is over. If you wish to continue contributing to this thread within the parameters defined already by CA then feel free. If not, then don't. What we aren't going to do is argue about it here anymore.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sounds like the damage might be less than many had anticipated - I was afraid the entire building was going to collapse, so glad it did not...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i thought this was pretty cool. looks like they saved a lot of the art and sacraments.

Paris terror attack hero helped save Notre Dame artifacts

Paris (CNN)A Paris chaplain who tended to victims of the 2015 terror attack in the city has been hailed as a hero once more, after he entered the burning Notre Dame cathedral to help authorities rescue priceless relics from the blaze.

Jean-Marc Fournier, the chaplain of Paris fire service, told CNN he entered the cathedral with firefighters and policemen to help salvage some of the priceless artifacts on Monday night.
Thanks to keys and codes that Fournier kept, officials were able to retrieve the Crown of Thorns, which some believe was placed on the head of Christ and which the cathedral calls its "most precious and most venerated relic."
"The police took the crown and I took the holy sacrament [the wafers, or body of Christ]," Fournier said.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1118135160027979776

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Just reported on World News Tonight that 700 million dollars has already been pledged for the rebuild.

The president of France said the rebuild will take 5 years.

Sounds like they are already on their way.

Viva La France! :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

A man was arrested with gas cans and lighters at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York

New York (CNN)A man is in custody after he tried to enter St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York on Wednesday night with gallons of gasoline, lighter fluid and lighters, authorities said.

When a security officer at the cathedral stopped the 37-year-old man, he left the church and was detained shortly afterward by counterterrorism officers, NYPD's John Miller said at a news conference.
The man, who is from New Jersey and is known to police, spilled some of the gasoline as the security officer stopped him in the church and forced him to turn around, Miller said.
"It's hard to say exactly what his intentions were but I think the totality of circumstances of an individual walking into an iconic location like St. Patrick's Cathedral, carrying over four gallons of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and lighters is something we would have great concern over," Miller said.
"Our people were suspicious, walked the man out, immediately called the police department. They apprehended him, and now he's secure. So the system works," he said. "Does that mean it's fail-safe? No, but that's why we come to church: to pray for God's protection."
St. Patrick's Cathedral, which opened its doors in 1879, is a prominent landmark in the city.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.