Backup QB Layne Hatcher Transferring to Arkansas State

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Man. I don’t know who that is.
Redshirt Freshman from Little Rock.

Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Arkansas as a senior in 2017 ... threw for 15,483 yards and 185 touchdowns during his career and was 41-1 as a starter at Pulaski Academy ... threw for 5,779 yards and 51 touchdowns as a senior ... played on four state championship teams ... coached by Kevin Kelley at Pulaski Academy ... signed with Alabama over Arkansas and Arkansas State.

https://rolltide.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5423

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IIRC, Hatcher was a late signee recruited by Dan Enos who had recruited him before leaving Arkansas. No surprise since he would never have played at Alabama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The al.com guy said he was on scholarship, not sure I believe that....
With the obvious caveat being only Saban a few others know all 85 scholarship players, I count 83 scholarships with Hatcher included as one. It's possible.

He signed papers (not his NLI, though) to Arkansas State in February 2018. Since he didn't sign his NLI, he could come to Alabama without any issues. Hard to fathom a kid walking-on at Alabama with the competition on the roster if he wasn't getting a scholarship.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
With the obvious caveat being only Saban a few others know all 85 scholarship players, I count 83 scholarships with Hatcher included as one. It's possible.

He signed papers (not his NLI, though) to Arkansas State in February 2018. Since he didn't sign his NLI, he could come to Alabama without any issues. Hard to fathom a kid walking-on at Alabama with the competition on the roster if he wasn't getting a scholarship.
IMO this for Hatcher was "taking his shot". You have a chance to grab for the brass ring at Alabama or play it safer by signing with Arkansas or Arkansas State. He took the scholarship offer at Alabama, realized the chances of actually seeing the field were "slim or none", and now will transfer where the opportunity is more realistic. Can't fault the kid for trying.

At least Hatcher walks away from Alabama knowing it wasn't to be. And many times in life, it is the "not knowing" that's bugs you the most.

Best to Layne. Only wish him the greatest of success at Arkansas State.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hard to fathom a kid walking-on at Alabama with the competition on the roster if he wasn't getting a scholarship.
Until I shredded my back in the spring of '92 I was on track to walk on at Alabama as a DT. In retrospect, I had little chance of ever making it beyond the scout team, but I can't blame a guy from trying...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Until I shredded my back in the spring of '92 I was on track to walk on at Alabama as a DT. In retrospect, I had little chance of ever making it beyond the scout team, but I can't blame a guy from trying...
Right, but wouldn't you think a guy with a D1 scholarship is most likely to take it if the other option is be an out of state walk-on? That was my point. He most likely was on scholarship when considering what he had with Arkansas State.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Right, but wouldn't you think a guy with a D1 scholarship is most likely to take it if the other option is be an out of state walk-on? That was my point. He most likely was on scholarship when considering what he had with Arkansas State.
Possibly. But knowing a scholarship will be awaiting him if he doesn't make the cut could make it worth it.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
As I recall, he came in at a time when we were grateful for a quality backup. He brought excellent numbers from his highschool career, he was not just a roster-filler. He has kept his head down, done what was asked of him, and now he is heading back to Arkansas St to get some playing time, a step which also helps Alabama by freeing up a slot. Bless him, I hope he does well, I'm sure he will.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Could not find the transfer portal thread so posted this here since it applies to transfer QBs. Tommy Francis who backed up McSorley at Penn State has entered the portal. He actually played quite a bit his last two years as a WR and part time RB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.