I just posted a positive review for our local Aldi store

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Does anyone here routinely (or otherwise) go online and as a consumer post reviews?

I usually don't - but had such a positive experience, I felt compelled to do so for the store manager who exhibited what I consider to be top notch customer service.

Additionally, I now feel more motivated to shop there, so the benefits will be end up going beyond just some words on paper (or in cyberspace, I guess).

I elected not to leave my contact info because I prefer to stay as under the radar as possible, but will let the manager know in person next visit if I happen to see her.

Feels like leaving someone a tip when they've earned a form of gratitude.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’ve left several on TripAdvisor. All positive. The only negative review (not on TripAdvisor) I left was for a doctor/office that I saw for my knee years ago. They didn’t inform me of the cost of the medication they were injecting into my knee that I thought was a steroid. It ended up costing me over $800 because I hadn’t met my deductible. It was some new med that had come out at that time. If I would have been informed upfront of the cost I would have said heck no. But nope. They submitted it to by insurance but I never once was told what the cost would be. I vowed to never go back there and I haven’t.

But I do post reviews from time to time. Mostly all positive, thankfully.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
So, what made Aldi so good? How are their prices?

If it’s another While Foods then it will not be my cup of tea. Whole Foods is just ridiculously expensive, even with the Prime discounts, Amazon has failed at making it more competitive.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So, what made Aldi so good? How are their prices?

If it’s another While Foods then it will not be my cup of tea. Whole Foods is just ridiculously expensive, even with the Prime discounts, Amazon has failed at making it more competitive.
It's not like Whole Foods. It's more generic brands that are really good. The generic brands make it cheaper, too.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Aldi does get a FEW name brand items in each week that they sell as special items, but everything else in there is an Aldi store brand that has been produced by well known, but unnamed, sources. Most all that we have tried have been really good. There are also really excellent prices on fresh produce and staples.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Aldi is a slightly more generic Trader Joe's

in fact the owners of Aldi and Trader Joe's are brothers. I like Trader Joe's better personally

as to the OP, I rarely review but I often call and email customer service especially for exceptional service.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Aldi is a slightly more generic Trader Joe's

in fact the owners of Aldi and Trader Joe's are brothers. I like Trader Joe's better personally

as to the OP, I rarely review but I often call and email customer service especially for exceptional service.
Not surprised but didn't realized the owners are brothers. Would love a TJ to open in the Montgomery area, but I doubt it happens anytime soon.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
If you like shrimp cocktail, their "Sea Queen" brand of shrimp in the JUMBO size is really delicious.

Cooked, peeled and de-veined with just the tail intact - and can be found in the frozen seafood section.

Don't forget your cocktail sauce! :p

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
We have a Whole Foods that opened in our town recently. I went in to buy a six pack of beer and handed the cashier a 20 dollar bill. He had to find a manager to figure out how to open the cash drawer. This was late evening and he said I was the first customer to pay with cash that day.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We have a Whole Foods that opened in our town recently. I went in to buy a six pack of beer and handed the cashier a 20 dollar bill. He had to find a manager to figure out how to open the cash drawer. This was late evening and he said I was the first customer to pay with cash that day.
Welcome to shopping in 2019

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
They sell great jalapeno stuffed martini olives.:)
I get those at Walmart. They also have varieties stuffed with blue cheese, garlic, and of course pimentos.

I don't know how Aldi gets away with selling those knockoff breakfast cereals that very closely resemble well known brands.
Every store has "house brand" cereals which resemble the originals. I usually get those because I can't tell any difference and if there is a difference, it's not enough to justify spending the extra money.

In many cases the cereal manufacturer supplies the stores with their house brands anyway so it's not like they are ripping anyone off.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I get those at Walmart. They also have varieties stuffed with blue cheese, garlic, and of course pimentos.

Every store has "house brand" cereals which resemble the originals. I usually get those because I can't tell any difference and if there is a difference, it's not enough to justify spending the extra money.

In many cases the cereal manufacturer supplies the stores with their house brands anyway so it's not like they are ripping anyone off.
It's called Private Labeling. For example, Royal Oak all wood, lump charcoal is pretty expensive. Kroger sells its own all wood lump charcoal for cheaper. The kicker? It's the same charcoal. EXACTLY the same. It's Royal Oak all wood, lump. I called and asked.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
It's called Private Labeling. For example, Royal Oak all wood, lump charcoal is pretty expensive. Kroger sells its own all wood lump charcoal for cheaper. The kicker? It's the same charcoal. EXACTLY the same. It's Royal Oak all wood, lump. I called and asked.
I can get the Royal Oak Lump cheaper at my local Walmart than the Kroger lump at my local Kroger.:)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
They sell great jalapeno stuffed martini olives.:)
I don't know how Aldi gets away with selling those knockoff breakfast cereals that very closely resemble well known brands.
I can get the Royal Oak Lump cheaper at my local Walmart than the Kroger lump at my local Kroger.:)
I stopped at the local Winn Dixie today to pick up a few things.

The district manager was there so naturally I struck up a convo with him. :p

On the subject of 'private labeling' - he said they just got a batch of eggs in with Walmart's "Great Value" packaging. They had to repackage with their "SE Grocers" packaging. He said it's like musical chairs sometimes. :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.