Best job / Worst Job You ever had

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Worst job..since i was a guv employee, i've had to do lots of secondary jobs thru the year...spent 24hrs in hell at the protein rendering plant in hanceville (you've prob noticed the smell on I65 during the summer with an eastern wind) doing mechanical maintenance. We had to remove a 14" auger and the skid plate it ran on and replace it. 2 12hr shifts and i threw away 2 complete sets of clothes. A month later, playing fall softball, the smell was still oozing out of my pores.
I can sympathize here. My very first IT job and the company provided IT services to this place. I had to go in the main building for a chunk of the day and when I got home my mother made me strip naked and put my clothes in the washer before I could go into the house for a shower. Another trip I was at the gatehouse/scales working when a lady was eating spaghetti while weighing the trucks, and talking to the drivers through an open window. She offered me some, had to be a sick joke.
I have heard stories of people working there, taking a week off, mowing their grass at the end of the week and their sweat smelled like it.
And that smell, it blankets a large chunk of western Blount County in many mornings. You hold your breath till you get in your car.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've had 13 job s in my life, virtually all of which were low-wage, brainless positions while I was in HS or college. They all sucked except my current one, which I love. Hard to complain about being paid to listen to music, but I still do sometimes. :)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I've had 13 job s in my life, virtually all of which were low-wage, brainless positions while I was in HS or college. They all sucked except my current one, which I love. Hard to complain about being paid to listen to music, but I still do sometimes. :)
But not many of us have our own Wikipedia entry listing our Grammy awards and nominations ! :D

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I haven idea why that's there - no one outside of the industry knows who I am. In fact, most within the industry probably don't, LOL.
pete rowan's "dust bowl children" has long been one of my favorite songs. the cover version y'all did for allison k/union stations' album was awesome.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Most of my career was selling commercial lawn and garden equipment. I've worked for a few really quality companies that made excellent products. The job I liked the most was when I worked for a large German chainsaw mfg. The company is "still" going strong. I was responsible for eight states in the mid southern region. We would go to Germany (which was West Germany then) every other year and I really enjoyed those trips.

My worst job? I worked on the cinnamon roll line at Marsh bakery in Birmingham. My job was squeezing sugar on top as they rolled by. I worked the summer after I graduated from high school. Not too long after that I was given an all expense paid trip to a lovely little country called Vietnam. I wished I was back at the bakery.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Most of my career was selling commercial lawn and garden equipment. I've worked for a few really quality companies that made excellent products. The job I liked the most was when I worked for a large German chainsaw mfg. The company is "still" going strong. I was responsible for eight states in the mid southern region. We would go to Germany (which was West Germany then) every other year and I really enjoyed those trips.

My worst job? I worked on the cinnamon roll line at Marsh bakery in Birmingham. My job was squeezing sugar on top as they rolled by. I worked the summer after I graduated from high school. Not too long after that I was given an all expense paid trip to a lovely little country called Vietnam. I wished I was back at the bakery.
Stihl was/is a great company with great products. Some would say they've slipped with the current generation of plastic saws. Nevertheless, I paid a premium for a little battery-operated saw, for the Stihl name. The last big saw I bought, I decided to try a Husky...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My best and worst - Best - no doubt my present and the one I've held since 1963.
Worst - First one at UA. I arrived as a trained accountant, so, when I applied for a job, they placed me in the UA Auditor's office. My first task was to reconcile all 17 of UA's bank accounts, even though that didn't seem a job for the internal auditor. They brought the IBM punch card checks into my office in cardboard trays and stacked them to the ceiling. Even back in the Whitworth era, that didn't include the AD accounts. Those were sacrosanct. That task took up the first two weeks of every month, since there were always several errors which had to be tracked down. Then, my auditor job took over. I immediately started getting vouchers to clear which I couldn't sign off on. I would take them to the Internal Auditor or his 2nd in command and complain. I would be told to sign. I would refuse. There would be hullabaloo. Now, the real problem was that the Controller at that time was a retired flag rank US Navy officer. The Auditor was a retired enlisted Marine officer, as high as you get, but still enlisted. He could never bring himself to say anything to the Controller, where all of the suspect vouchers originated, other than "Yessir." I lasted a bit more than a semester. Then I resigned, with a three page memo of all that was wrong with the system. (Later, I was told they'd adopted my memo as the new operating MO. I didn't believe it. Still don't.)

I applied for a job with Northington Laundry as a counterman and was interviewed by Mrs. Barrett. (Col. Barrett was just titular as president.) She told me that countermen were a dime a dozen, but that she understood that I was a trained accountant and they needed an accountant. I was astounded. I had scrubbed my resume' of any mention of accounting.* So, I was hired as the internal accountant, but I really worked downtown in the office of Jamison, McWhorter, and Farmer, their CPAs, and did some auditing for them as well, on the side. That lasted until I entered law school and went to work for ADOR as an income tax examiner...

*After all these years, I connected the dots. The Controller and Col. Barrett, both being retired military, would have moved in the same circles. If my name were mentioned, then the Controller, although I'd bedeviled him, would know my background and passed it along to the Barretts. Damn!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Stihl was/is a great company with great products. Some would say they've slipped with the current generation of plastic saws. Nevertheless, I paid a premium for a little battery-operated saw, for the Stihl name. The last big saw I bought, I decided to try a Husky...
Stihl is primarily a commercial grade manufacturer. They did come out with more of a homeowners line and did "cheapen" the product a little. Husqvarna is their main competitor worldwide. It's a well built product but their sales are way below Stihls.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Stihl is primarily a commercial grade manufacturer. They did come out with more of a homeowners line and did "cheapen" the product a little. Husqvarna is their main competitor worldwide. It's a well built product but their sales are way below Stihls.
Husqvarna is substantially cheaper for equivalent displacement, etc. That was the primary reason I decided to finally try one. There are a lot of tree cutters around here now who swear by them. The new Husky is a 372 and decidedly heavier than my old trusty .026 Pro, so, for most chores, I end up picking up the Stihl...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.