Link: Bryce Drew Opens Up On His Dismissal: 'We Never had a Conversation About Basketball'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Maybe this is too much of a supportive piece to get him a job, but this gives the impression the new AD did him extremely wrong.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If this went down as Drew states (and there is little reason to doubt since Turner declined comment), then I do believe he got the shaft. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired. I'm not a Vandy fan so I haven't a clue where the fan base was in terms of their support for Drew. However, Turner should have at least given him the opportunity to discuss the program, present a plan, then make the decision.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If this went down as Drew states (and there is little reason to doubt since Turner declined comment), then I do believe he got the shaft. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired. I'm not a Vandy fan so I haven't a clue where the fan base was in terms of their support for Drew. However, Turner should have at least given him the opportunity to discuss the program, present a plan, then make the decision.
Add in the facts Turner was the president of the NBA G-League before being hired by Vandy and he hired a former G-League (was known as D-League at the time) in Jerry Stackhouse, the whole situation doesn't pass the smell test.

JeffwallaceUA

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2019
I hope they get exactly what they deserve. The worst record in the league for the time stackhouse is there. I'd be willing to bet thats exactly what they'll get.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
When a coach has been at a place for 3 years and sets a historic record for futility, there isn't a real need for conversation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When a coach has been at a place for 3 years and sets a historic record for futility, there isn't a real need for conversation.
Unless it’s been a constant downward spiral, the AD owes the coach a conversation. If the AD never had a basketball related conversation with Drew, he was never going to give BD a chance anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Drew was fired in person. He had 3 years to implement his plan. He was fired for non-performance. No need to have a big discussion about basketball. The man was going to be fired.

When Drew went to Turner’s office as summoned on the day of his dismissal, he brought with him an 18-page plan of how to fix the program. It offered collaborative ideas, detailed areas for improvement and specific solutions. Drew never got a chance to hand him the document. “That was going to be the first time we were going to have that conversation,” Drew said. “Unfortunately, I never got to have that conversation.”

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Drew was fired in person. He had 3 years to implement his plan. He was fired for non-performance. No need to have a big discussion about basketball. The man was going to be fired.
Again, what new boss doesn’t sit down with department heads to discuss the department and gauge the environment?

He came to one practice?! Sign he didn’t care about knowing how things were going.

Things were going well until the injury bug hit. Recruiting was excellent.

His plan was implemented but didn’t go well when the main piece of it goes out for the season.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
His buyout is probably enough that he doesn’t have to work again a day in his life if he doesn’t want to. Boo hoo for him.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
His buyout is probably enough that he doesn’t have to work again a day in his life if he doesn’t want to. Boo hoo for him.

This how I feel about it too. He may have been done wrong but know he can pretty much do what he wants.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Again, what new boss doesn’t sit down with department heads to discuss the department and gauge the environment?

He came to one practice?! Sign he didn’t care about knowing how things were going.

Things were going well until the injury bug hit. Recruiting was excellent.

His plan was implemented but didn’t go well when the main piece of it goes out for the season.

I agree with this take. I have no opinion about whether or not he should have been fired, but this reeks of poor management and any success that someone like this might have will not be a result of his efforts.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This how I feel about it too. He may have been done wrong but know he can pretty much do what he wants.

BRB... need to roll my eyes back from the back of my head.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.