Link: Bryce Drew Opens Up On His Dismissal: 'We Never had a Conversation About Basketball'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bryce Drew Opens Up On His Dismissal: 'We Never had a Conversation About Basketball'

Link

Maybe this is too much of a supportive piece to get him a job, but this gives the impression the new AD did him extremely wrong.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Re: Bryce Drew Opens Up On His Dismissal: 'We Never had a Conversation About Basketba

If this went down as Drew states (and there is little reason to doubt since Turner declined comment), then I do believe he got the shaft. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired. I'm not a Vandy fan so I haven't a clue where the fan base was in terms of their support for Drew. However, Turner should have at least given him the opportunity to discuss the program, present a plan, then make the decision.
    "A politician is a person that can smoke a cigar, down a shot of bourbon, kiss a baby, and talk out of both sides of their mouth all at the same time."

Re: Bryce Drew Opens Up On His Dismissal: 'We Never had a Conversation About Basketba

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    If this went down as Drew states (and there is little reason to doubt since Turner declined comment), then I do believe he got the shaft. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired. I'm not a Vandy fan so I haven't a clue where the fan base was in terms of their support for Drew. However, Turner should have at least given him the opportunity to discuss the program, present a plan, then make the decision.
    Add in the facts Turner was the president of the NBA G-League before being hired by Vandy and he hired a former G-League (was known as D-League at the time) in Jerry Stackhouse, the whole situation doesn't pass the smell test.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The AD must have wanted to act quickly while Jerry Stackhouse was still available.

BamaNation First Team

karma comes back.

BamaNation Third Team

I hope they get exactly what they deserve. The worst record in the league for the time stackhouse is there. I'd be willing to bet thats exactly what they'll get.

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

When a coach has been at a place for 3 years and sets a historic record for futility, there isn't a real need for conversation.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

OK, no need to dwell on CAG or CAJ.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    When a coach has been at a place for 3 years and sets a historic record for futility, there isn't a real need for conversation.
    Unless it’s been a constant downward spiral, the AD owes the coach a conversation. If the AD never had a basketball related conversation with Drew, he was never going to give BD a chance anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Drew was fired in person. He had 3 years to implement his plan. He was fired for non-performance. No need to have a big discussion about basketball. The man was going to be fired.

When Drew went to Turner’s office as summoned on the day of his dismissal, he brought with him an 18-page plan of how to fix the program. It offered collaborative ideas, detailed areas for improvement and specific solutions. Drew never got a chance to hand him the document. “That was going to be the first time we were going to have that conversation,” Drew said. “Unfortunately, I never got to have that conversation.”

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    Drew was fired in person. He had 3 years to implement his plan. He was fired for non-performance. No need to have a big discussion about basketball. The man was going to be fired.
    Again, what new boss doesn’t sit down with department heads to discuss the department and gauge the environment?

He came to one practice?! Sign he didn’t care about knowing how things were going.

Things were going well until the injury bug hit. Recruiting was excellent.

His plan was implemented but didn’t go well when the main piece of it goes out for the season.

-- Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

His buyout is probably enough that he doesn’t have to work again a day in his life if he doesn’t want to. Boo hoo for him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    His buyout is probably enough that he doesn’t have to work again a day in his life if he doesn’t want to. Boo hoo for him.

This how I feel about it too. He may have been done wrong but know he can pretty much do what he wants.