Link: Nick Saban will have hip replacement surgery

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I have a feeling that my swing will get alot better if I have this hip fixed, but I don't want to not be able to play for what I suppose will be a few months.
My Uncle had replacement surgery at 75 and was back on the course exactly 4 weeks after the surgery. He and Lee Roy Jordan compared their hip surgeries during the LSU game this past fall and IIRC, Lee Roy was also back on the course within 4 weeks.

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
I can't decide if his PT has an easy job or a hard one.

I'm guessing a bit of both. Easy in that Saban will do all the exercises and therapeutic workouts needed to come back as soon as possible. Hard in that the post-op soreness will put him in an unusually grumpy mood.
Prepping for the surgery is what will help. I am guessing he works out some, so that could make the recovery easier. I had mine replaced in 2014 after losing weight and exercising, it is the best thing I ever did. I did not have any post op pain, never took a pain pill and was kick out of PT after about 6 weeks.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
sorry to hear your surgery wasn't with great results Earle. I had mine done 13 years ago and my only regret was it wasn't done 5 years previously when I first started having problems with my hip. I stopped wearing shoes that needed fastening to those I could slip on as my hip would not allow me to reach down to my feet! Like I said, should have had it done way before.

Last edited:

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
My brother had it done last year. He is overweight and waited too long, but he finally got it done, at 49 years old. Because he is overweight and waited too long his recovery was tougher, but it has changed his life.
My husband had his hip replaced 3 years ago. He is overweight as well. He was up walking on it with a walker the very next day. The only change in his treatment was two weeks in a rehab facility because of fear that I would not be able to help him if he slipped.

The amazing thing is that he would not request or take any pain meds after the surgery. I told him to stop being brave and take the medicine since this was major surgery. He said that he was not in pain at all, just grinned the whole time. This is a person who moaned and winced with every move prior to the surgery. His relief was immediate.

Coach is in good shape and health and seems to be taking care of it before it causes any other damage. Praying for a successful surgery and speedy/full recovery.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
He will probably use it as a motivational tool for the players. It's not a good look to have your coach out do you in rehab.:smile: He may not have any post-op soreness deepening on the level of pain he is experiencing now.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Here is to a full recovery coach. I’m 4 1/2 weeks post knee replacement, 7 months post knee fracture necessitating the TKR. Still in therapy and still with ice, but off pain meds. My Therapist really put a hurting on me today, but achieved 125 degree ROM. I’m walking unassisted with a limp .
With that knowledge, as someone mentioned, I feel for the therapist, but I know coach understands the therapist is the boss when it comes to rehabbing the hip! As fit as Nick is, I’m sure he will be better , stronger , faster ! Pretty sure by fall camp, Nick will be on the field demo’ing jam, backpedal, trail , and inside leverage to young DBs. Not sure he can cover Ruggs, though. Not yet, anyway!
I’m heading up to a cabin In the north Georgia mountains near Lake Burton, maybe I’ll see Nick around town!

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I can't decide if his PT has an easy job or a hard one.

I'm guessing a bit of both. Easy in that Saban will do all the exercises and therapeutic workouts needed to come back as soon as possible. Hard in that the post-op soreness will put him in an unusually grumpy mood.
Nonsense! You're describing the perfect frame of mind for a coach and especially a head coach dealing with the media. Perhaps you need to review the youtube clips of Coach Saban's press conferences for examples of this. :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.