Cecil Hurt: A good AD is worth fighting for

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
“Alabama’s athletic director, Greg Byrne, is well-regarded and his hiring, after stints at Mississippi State and Arizona, was generally considered a coup. That is also why he would be considered a possibility by other well-funded schools. On Thursday, he said he had not been contacted by Texas A&M and was happy at Alabama and UA hopes it stays that way.”

https://www.tidesports.com/cecil-hurt-a-good-athletic-director-is-worth-fighting-for/

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Every school has politics and meddling boosters. aTm has it worse than most. Remember the Regent who publicly called for Sumlin's immediate firing via Twitter around midnight after they blew the big lead over UCLA? And got public agreement from some others? They aren't quite as bad as UTw, but they're in the same ballpark.

No, we're not 100% pure on that. But boosters are among the groups Saban has processed, so it's less than at most major powers.

I think Byrne's ultimate goal is to be a conference commissioner. Does he get there better, faster, and with less risk of boosters hounding him into a bad hire (and thereby damage the path his longer-term goal) from aTm, or UA? I think UA.

If we've learned nothing else from Nick Saban, we've learned that the salary you pay for first-rate coaching and administrative talent is peanuts compared to (1) the returns it generates, and (2) the damage second-rate talent does -- Bob Bockrath and Andrew Sorensen say hello. So long as we match the money, and I have every confidence we would, I think he stays even if aTm does try to poach.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
This goes untalked about, but CNS is the best in the history of college athletics to handle the Boosters and fringe wannabes. IMO to be at Bama and make that almost a non-issue is possibly one of his greatest accomplishments. The GOAT checks all boxes...
Every school has politics and meddling boosters. aTm has it worse than most. Remember the Regent who publicly called for Sumlin's immediate firing via Twitter around midnight after they blew the big lead over UCLA? And got public agreement from some others? They aren't quite as bad as UTw, but they're in the same ballpark.

No, we're not 100% pure on that. But boosters are among the groups Saban has processed, so it's less than at most major powers.

I think Byrne's ultimate goal is to be a conference commissioner. Does he get there better, faster, and with less risk of boosters hounding him into a bad hire (and thereby damage the path his longer-term goal) from aTm, or UA? I think UA.

If we've learned nothing else from Nick Saban, we've learned that the salary you pay for first-rate coaching and administrative talent is peanuts compared to (1) the returns it generates, and (2) the damage second-rate talent does -- Bob Bockrath and Andrew Sorensen say hello. So long as we match the money, and I have every confidence we would, I think he stays even if aTm does try to poach.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
This goes untalked about, but CNS is the best in the history of college athletics to handle the Boosters and fringe wannabes. IMO to be at Bama and make that almost a non-issue is possibly one of his greatest accomplishments. The GOAT checks all boxes...
Great point.
This started day 1 with him as soon as he got on the airplane.

Coach Stallings handled it generally well but not like CNS, I don’t think. All the others not so much.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think Cecil writes this unless he's heard something - even if it's just A&M reaching out to see if there's any mutual interest...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Cecil writes this unless he's heard something - even if it's just A&M reaching out to see if there's any mutual interest...
Agreed.

When you have good folks, others notice and come after them. I remember when nobody came after our guys. This is a far better problem to have.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
This is what I thought too. When I saw the opening there I assumed they would contact Byrne with his great reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is what I thought too. When I saw the opening there I assumed they would contact Byrne with his great reputation.

It’s not just his reputation. His dad was AD there.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
It’s not just his reputation. His dad was AD there.

Right, but he could get the job on his own merits alone. I’m glad he’s in Tuscaloosa. I’m impressed with his leadership & decisions so far.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Right, but he could get the job on his own merits alone. I’m glad he’s in Tuscaloosa. I’m impressed with his leadership & decisions so far.

Correct on his merits, but his dad being the former AD is the reason for the immediate speculation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.