Bama Hoops adds 2 more to roster

JeffwallaceUA

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2019
My vote would be on Mack (hope he comes back if he's willing to work) or Petty. I believe both of their offensive numbers will go up. Petty could have a break out year. I've said in earlier discussions that Mack may be our best player next year.

I do agree Jones will be much better. I just wonder about his shooting ability/touch. He shoots a lot of airballs and bricks. He did show some improvement the last part of the year so maybe there is hope.
You must see something different in Mack than I do. He seems like an average athlete with no desire or ability to play defense. Makes contested shots when he's hot, decent midrange game. Can't create his own shot. Not great vision. Seems topped out.
Herb can create his own shot. Is a great distributor of the ball down low. Plays hard defense. And he's the best athlete on the team. If you'll pardon the hyperbole, I would say Herb not only has the most room for improvement on the team, but he could become the most improved player in the entire country next year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You must see something different in Mack than I do. He seems like an average athlete with no desire or ability to play defense. Makes contested shots when he's hot, decent midrange game. Can't create his own shot. Not great vision. Seems topped out.
Herb can create his own shot. Is a great distributor of the ball down low. Plays hard defense. And he's the best athlete on the team. If you'll pardon the hyperbole, I would say Herb not only has the most room for improvement on the team, but he could become the most improved player in the entire country next year.
I think Mack will thrive in Oats system. He is a very capable 3pt shooter and scorer. He averaged almost 15 pts/game as a freshman at Texas before he transferred to us. As you say he is not the most athletic player but I don't think Buffalo players were either but they thrived in the system they were running.

Agreed on Herb but he has to become a better shooter..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I see what was the best player on the team at times this past year in Mack. What I don't see with Herb is anything close to a reliable shooting touch. Frankly, he was a bricklayer last year. FWIW, I'm high on Herb, but until he develops a decent shot it doesn't matter how good he is at creating shots if they rarely go in. Bottom line in basketball is putting it in the hoop. I think Herb is great on defense and in transition, but he needs a midrange game to become a much better player.

I think CNO will help both players, but my fear with Jones is it's really hard to go from bricklayer to good shooter in a short time, if ever.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I see what was the best player on the team at times this past year in Mack. What I don't see with Herb is anything close to a reliable shooting touch. Frankly, he was a bricklayer last year. FWIW, I'm high on Herb, but until he develops a decent shot it doesn't matter how good he is at creating shots if they rarely go in. Bottom line in basketball is putting it in the hoop. I think Herb is great on defense and in transition, but he needs a midrange game to become a much better player.

I think CNO will help both players, but my fear with Jones is it's really hard to go from bricklayer to good shooter in a short time, if ever.
The thing about Herb, is if you watch him shoot early in his freshman season, he had pretty decent shooting touch. Somebody tried to retool his form and it looks awful now. I’m thinking that this staff will try to get him back to where it used to be.

I just want to know which coach changed his form, and why in the world was it changed to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffwallaceUA

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2019
If herb develops an outside shot the sky is the limit for him. He can already get to the rim at will with the defender knowing he wont pull up and drain one on him. He has to get better finishing around the rim too, obviously, because he was terrible at that this year. Analytics dictate that around the rim and 3s are the way best way to score. You just see flashes of ability with herb that nobody on the team comes close to. True NBA talent. But the flashes are so brief...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.