Former Vols RB Reggie Cobb Dies At 50 of Heart Attack - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Former Vols RB Reggie Cobb Dies At 50 of Heart Attack

I had a MI sitting at my desk in my home office 4 years ago this month at age 54. I was possibility the best shape of my life at the time. I had ran my best time every in a 10k the week before and had worked out the night before without any symptoms.

And almost half those having that first heart attack don’t survive it.

So so sad to hear about Reggie. Prayers for his family in the days and week’s ahead.
    "A politician is a person that can smoke a cigar, down a shot of bourbon, kiss a baby, and talk out of both sides of their mouth all at the same time."

BamaNation Second Team

Big, strong, fast RB. RIP Reggie Cobb.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TNBama View Post
    Having lost my wife last summer, I feel the pain for the family. My prayers go out to them.
    I'm so sorry TNBama. I know that must be hard. I pray your wife will RIP.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Really sore to hear this, TE. Prayers for you and your family as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Sorry to hear this. Losing your dad is hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    sorry to hear that.
    Thank you all. It was sudden and completely unexpected although looking back after there were signs. None of us had a clue though. It’s the hardest thing I’ve been through. He was 70. 50 and even 70 are just far too young.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I had a MI sitting at my desk in my home office 4 years ago this month at age 54. I was possibility the best shape of my life at the time. I had ran my best time every in a 10k the week before and had worked out the night before without any symptoms.

And almost half those having that first heart attack don’t survive it.

So so sad to hear about Reggie. Prayers for his family in the days and week’s ahead.
    You are very lucky and so am I. Six years ago, I had 20 minutes of extreme heartburn. When I got to the ER, courtesy of a MD friend, who came and took me, my wife being out of town, I had a normal EKG and slightly abnormal enzymes. At the other, main, hospital, with different values, my enzymes would have been considered in the normal range and I would have been sent home to die later, because my LAD (widow-maker) artery was 99.9% blocked. I had what is called an "atypical presentation" of an ACS (acute coronary syndrome). I didn't have an MI and had no damage, but I had been getting by on collateral circulation for a long time...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    You are very lucky and so am I. Six years ago, I had 20 minutes of extreme heartburn. When I got to the ER, courtesy of a MD friend, who came and took me, my wife being out of town, I had a normal EKG and slightly abnormal enzymes. At the other, main, hospital, with different values, my enzymes would have been considered in the normal range and I would have been sent home to die later, because my LAD (widow-maker) artery was 99.9% blocked. I had what is called an "atypical presentation" of an ACS (acute coronary syndrome). I didn't have an MI and had no damage, but I had been getting by on collateral circulation for a long time...
    Wanna know the VERY first thing they taught us at med school on EKG day?

Big letters in the handout - "EKGs WILL LIE TO YOU!"

About 20 years ago, there was a woman at the base bowling alley that I saw almost every day. One morning I went in and she told me she was going to base her decision on what I told her. I had not taken cardiology or anything at that point - and I defer to the conservative side of "take an NSAID and see if that makes it better."

But she said she had an irritating pain in her left shoulder. I told her that if I was her, I would go. She had an AMI sitting there in the doctor's office - and they saved her because she was there. I didn't see her for a couple of weeks, but when I suddenly did she told me what had happened and how thankful she was.

The scariest part?

She was the same age then that I am now...........
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

This is undoubtedly what happened to my dad. He had very bad heart burn on Wednesday evening which he chalked up to food he had eaten. He thought he had a mild case of food poisoning. He went on with normal life and that Sunday evening at church he collapsed, bp was 70 over 40. He had an artery on the back of his heart (not sure if that's the widow-maker or not) that was 100% blocked. They got a stint in, but his heart was too damaged to pump blood. I Facetimed him before they took him back for surgery as I was not going to make it in time to see him. I would have sworn he was going to be ok.

A lesson learned is to never assume its just heart burn.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    RIP. My dad passed away a couple weeks ago of a heart attack. I pray for Cobb’s family and friends. Nothing prepares you for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNBama View Post
    Having lost my wife last summer, I feel the pain for the family. My prayers go out to them.
    My condolences to you both. You are right, TE, nothing can prepare you.

RIP Reggie Cobb. I was talking about him earlier this month on my fishing trip.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Poor guy. I remember 15 years ago when another one of their legendary players Reggie White also died from a heat attack at just age 43.

BamaNation All-SEC

Not wishing to hijack the Reggie Cobb thread, but I’d like to think he’d approve of the message of taking your heart seriously. Almost exactly 11 years ago, I started having pain in my upper left arm which spread to my upper right arm and then to my left shoulder. I knew something was wrong but I didn’t think it was my heart because I had none of the “traditional” symptoms. My wife took one look at me and took me to the local ER. My ekg was good, but there was something about those enzymes... so I was taken up to Macon where angioplasty found I was 98% blocked on the left artery which the fixed with two stents. The moral is to take anything like that seriously. If anything, be a bit paranoid. I’ve had three ER visits in the last few years which turned out negative and my cardiologist said that negative visits are the best thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...131378587/Amp/

On Saturday afternoon, the Tennessee football family was struck by tragedy when news broke that former Vol running back Reggie Cobb had passed away at the age of 50.
    Cobb, a Knoxville native, was a local star at Central High School for four seasons. He played at Tennessee from 1987 to 1989 and appears in the top 10 of several of the program’s all-time rushing records.

=======

I’m 15 months younger than Reggie and remember him playing in another time when Alabama-Tennessee was the best rivalry in the SEC.

I won’t lie - this one hurts and hits close to home.

The dude was a good player and, in fact, was drafted by Ray Perkins.

I'm 22 years older than Reggie was... I saw him play against Alabama twice.
    He was a great player.
    These days 50 sounds so young.
    R.I.P. Reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    This is undoubtedly what happened to my dad. He had very bad heart burn on Wednesday evening which he chalked up to food he had eaten. He thought he had a mild case of food poisoning. He went on with normal life and that Sunday evening at church he collapsed, bp was 70 over 40. He had an artery on the back of his heart (not sure if that's the widow-maker or not) that was 100% blocked. They got a stint in, but his heart was too damaged to pump blood. I Facetimed him before they took him back for surgery as I was not going to make it in time to see him. I would have sworn he was going to be ok.

A lesson learned is to never assume its just heart burn.
    That's a little surprising. He must have thrown another clot in surgery, because that posterior artery doesn't usually kill people. In fact, when stenting, it's rarely even fixed. The LAD is the "left anterior descending" artery, which goes down from the top and feeds the left ventricle, the main pumping chamber of the heart. For the left ventricle to be that damaged, he just would have to had LAD problems also. Bad luck and I hate to hear it. I guess the thread has broadened out into a general heart disease thread...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Wanna know the VERY first thing they taught us at med school on EKG day?

Big letters in the handout - "EKGs WILL LIE TO YOU!"

About 20 years ago, there was a woman at the base bowling alley that I saw almost every day. One morning I went in and she told me she was going to base her decision on what I told her. I had not taken cardiology or anything at that point - and I defer to the conservative side of "take an NSAID and see if that makes it better."

But she said she had an irritating pain in her left shoulder. I told her that if I was her, I would go. She had an AMI sitting there in the doctor's office - and they saved her because she was there. I didn't see her for a couple of weeks, but when I suddenly did she told me what had happened and how thankful she was.

The scariest part?

She was the same age then that I am now...........
    Two stents and a bypass later, I've still never had an abnormal EKG...