Former Vols RB Reggie Cobb Dies At 50 of Heart Attack - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Former Vols RB Reggie Cobb Dies At 50 of Heart Attack

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Two stents and a bypass later, I've still never had an abnormal EKG...
    I've only had the stents, but with EKG's every 6 months (and a couple before my attack), the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Two stents and a bypass later, I've still never had an abnormal EKG...
    Generally speaking an EKG won’t show significant change unless there is some kind of cardiac muscle damage or “death”. The reason Selma says “they will lie to you”. It can take days for that damage to be picked up on the EKG, if ever.

I had a complete occlusion of the circumflex branch that feeds the posterior portion of the heart. The only symptoms I had initially were a “strange tingling” sensation that went straight up my chin and dizziness. I waited several hours until my wife came home. She told me I didn’t look “well” and asked me if I still wanted to attend a planned graduation reception that evening. We went to the reception and while there the radiating pain into both sides of my jaws began. I became extremely pale and sweaty, followed by chest fullness.
    My wife, a nurse who ironically teaches advanced cardiac life support, looked at me a said “my God it’s an MI”.

My EKG in the ER was stone cold normal. However pressure was near 200 systolic but my rate was dropping into 40’s. It was 48 hours later after my stent was placed that my EKG actually began indicating a cardiac event (not to mention the PVCs I was throwing).

Interestingly enough, every other coronary artery was fine with less a 30% narrowing at the worst in any of them. For some reason (most like a combination of inflammation and unstable plaque formation) I suffered a plaque rupture that totally occluded that circumflex branch. If on the LAD, I may not be here today.
    "A politician is a person that can smoke a cigar, down a shot of bourbon, kiss a baby, and talk out of both sides of their mouth all at the same time."

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Generally speaking an EKG won’t show significant change unless there is some kind of cardiac muscle damage or “death”. The reason Selma says “they will lie to you”. It can take days for that damage to be picked up on the EKG, if ever.

I had a complete occlusion of the circumflex branch that feeds the posterior portion of the heart. The only symptoms I had initially were a “strange tingling” sensation that went straight up my chin and dizziness. I waited several hours until my wife came home. She told me I didn’t look “well” and asked me if I still wanted to attend a planned graduation reception that evening. We went to the reception and while there the radiating pain into both sides of my jaws began. I became extremely pale and sweaty, followed by chest fullness.
    My wife, a nurse who ironically teaches advanced cardiac life support, looked at me a said “my God it’s an MI”.

My EKG in the ER was stone cold normal. However pressure was near 200 systolic but my rate was dropping into 40’s. It was 48 hours later after my stent was placed that my EKG actually began indicating a cardiac event (not to mention the PVCs I was throwing).

Interestingly enough, every other coronary artery was fine with less a 30% narrowing at the worst in any of them. For some reason (most like a combination of inflammation and unstable plaque formation) I suffered a plaque rupture that totally occluded that circumflex branch. If on the LAD, I may not be here today.
    I have battled CAD for years but have been fortunate to have stable plaque or would not be here reading this thread. As I watch and read from the preventive cardiologist out there it appears the CV inflammation and the resulting plaque rupture is the primary cause of these events in otherwise very healthy young men. I tend to believe that for me lowering my A1C and preventing inflammation is the key to staying out of the ER or worse. Practically speaking however, I am not sure how much further I can go lifestyle wise to have a perfect glucose levels on a 24 hour a day basis.

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    I have battled CAD for years but have been fortunate to have stable plaque or would not be here reading this thread. As I watch and read from the preventive cardiologist out there it appears the CV inflammation and the resulting plaque rupture is the primary cause of these events in otherwise very healthy young men. I tend to believe that for me lowering my A1C and preventing inflammation is the key to staying out of the ER or worse. Practically speaking however, I am not sure how much further I can go lifestyle wise to have a perfect glucose levels on a 24 hour a day basis.
    More and more studies point to the role of inflammation in heart attacks. About half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol. And we see people with very high LDL and triglycerides that live their entire lives and never experience an MI. It seems to point to a combination the type LDL (particle size, number & “stickiness”) and inflammatory responses. Treating inflammation may be as important if not more important than treating cholesterol.
    Last edited by CB4; April 23rd, 2019 at 01:13 PM.
    "A politician is a person that can smoke a cigar, down a shot of bourbon, kiss a baby, and talk out of both sides of their mouth all at the same time."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

More and more studies point to the role of inflammation in heart attacks. About half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol. And we see people with very high LDL and triglycerides that live their entire lives and never experience an MI. It seems to point to a combination the type LDL (particle size, number & “stickiness”) and inflammatory responses. Treating inflation may be as important if not more important than treating cholesterol.
    Yep, inflation has been rough on my heart, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Yep, inflation has been rough on my heart, too.
    Autocorrect strikes again!

More and more studies point to the role of inflammation in heart attacks. About half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol. And we see people with very high LDL and triglycerides that live their entire lives and never experience an MI. It seems to point to a combination the type LDL (particle size, number & “stickiness”) and inflammatory responses. Treating inflammation may be as important if not more important than treating cholesterol.
    My HDL is actually over 100 and my LDL is down around 30. My CRP is less than one. So, yeah, it's the type of LDL...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Cruel coincidence - I’m at an ER right now with CP and a numb/tingling left arm.
    Prayers appreciated.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Cruel coincidence - I’m at an ER right now with CP and a numb/tingling left arm.
    Prayers appreciated.
    Prayers ascending! My cardiologist once told me that the biggest thing in dealing with heart trouble is getting it to medical care and that, if they get the chance, they can normally fix the problem.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Prayers appreciated.
    Let us know how you are doing.

Prayers appreciated.
    You're in the smartest place, which is what I'd expect. My ACS happened on a Saturday AM also, with my wife out of town...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Let us know how you are doing.
    Yes, keep us posted...

BamaNation Second Team

Selma...I’m thanking God that you are under medical supervision...and praying that you will be cared for properly, and that whatever the problem may be, He will be holding you within His loving arms...and covering you with His limitless compassion and mercy. I also pray that you have your own dialog going with Him as well, my Friend. Let us know as soon as you know...I’m sure that, as more and more people here read this post...your prayer-chain will continue to lengthen.