Former Vols RB Reggie Cobb Dies At 50 of Heart Attack

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
RIP. My dad passed away a couple weeks ago of a heart attack. I pray for Cobb’s family and friends. Nothing prepares you for it.
Having lost my wife last summer, I feel the pain for the family. My prayers go out to them.
My condolences to you both. You are right, TE, nothing can prepare you.

RIP Reggie Cobb. I was talking about him earlier this month on my fishing trip.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Poor guy. I remember 15 years ago when another one of their legendary players Reggie White also died from a heat attack at just age 43.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
You are very lucky and so am I. Six years ago, I had 20 minutes of extreme heartburn. When I got to the ER, courtesy of a MD friend, who came and took me, my wife being out of town, I had a normal EKG and slightly abnormal enzymes. At the other, main, hospital, with different values, my enzymes would have been considered in the normal range and I would have been sent home to die later, because my LAD (widow-maker) artery was 99.9% blocked. I had what is called an "atypical presentation" of an ACS (acute coronary syndrome). I didn't have an MI and had no damage, but I had been getting by on collateral circulation for a long time...
Not wishing to hijack the Reggie Cobb thread, but I’d like to think he’d approve of the message of taking your heart seriously. Almost exactly 11 years ago, I started having pain in my upper left arm which spread to my upper right arm and then to my left shoulder. I knew something was wrong but I didn’t think it was my heart because I had none of the “traditional” symptoms. My wife took one look at me and took me to the local ER. My ekg was good, but there was something about those enzymes... so I was taken up to Macon where angioplasty found I was 98% blocked on the left artery which the fixed with two stents. The moral is to take anything like that seriously. If anything, be a bit paranoid. I’ve had three ER visits in the last few years which turned out negative and my cardiologist said that negative visits are the best thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ennessee-football-running-back-131378587/Amp/

On Saturday afternoon, the Tennessee football family was struck by tragedy when news broke that former Vol running back Reggie Cobb had passed away at the age of 50.
Cobb, a Knoxville native, was a local star at Central High School for four seasons. He played at Tennessee from 1987 to 1989 and appears in the top 10 of several of the program’s all-time rushing records.

=======

I’m 15 months younger than Reggie and remember him playing in another time when Alabama-Tennessee was the best rivalry in the SEC.

I won’t lie - this one hurts and hits close to home.

The dude was a good player and, in fact, was drafted by Ray Perkins.

I'm 22 years older than Reggie was... I saw him play against Alabama twice.
He was a great player.
These days 50 sounds so young.
R.I.P. Reggie.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is undoubtedly what happened to my dad. He had very bad heart burn on Wednesday evening which he chalked up to food he had eaten. He thought he had a mild case of food poisoning. He went on with normal life and that Sunday evening at church he collapsed, bp was 70 over 40. He had an artery on the back of his heart (not sure if that's the widow-maker or not) that was 100% blocked. They got a stint in, but his heart was too damaged to pump blood. I Facetimed him before they took him back for surgery as I was not going to make it in time to see him. I would have sworn he was going to be ok.

A lesson learned is to never assume its just heart burn.
That's a little surprising. He must have thrown another clot in surgery, because that posterior artery doesn't usually kill people. In fact, when stenting, it's rarely even fixed. The LAD is the "left anterior descending" artery, which goes down from the top and feeds the left ventricle, the main pumping chamber of the heart. For the left ventricle to be that damaged, he just would have to had LAD problems also. Bad luck and I hate to hear it. I guess the thread has broadened out into a general heart disease thread...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wanna know the VERY first thing they taught us at med school on EKG day?

Big letters in the handout - "EKGs WILL LIE TO YOU!"

About 20 years ago, there was a woman at the base bowling alley that I saw almost every day. One morning I went in and she told me she was going to base her decision on what I told her. I had not taken cardiology or anything at that point - and I defer to the conservative side of "take an NSAID and see if that makes it better."

But she said she had an irritating pain in her left shoulder. I told her that if I was her, I would go. She had an AMI sitting there in the doctor's office - and they saved her because she was there. I didn't see her for a couple of weeks, but when I suddenly did she told me what had happened and how thankful she was.

The scariest part?

She was the same age then that I am now...........
Two stents and a bypass later, I've still never had an abnormal EKG...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Two stents and a bypass later, I've still never had an abnormal EKG...
Generally speaking an EKG won’t show significant change unless there is some kind of cardiac muscle damage or “death”. The reason Selma says “they will lie to you”. It can take days for that damage to be picked up on the EKG, if ever.

I had a complete occlusion of the circumflex branch that feeds the posterior portion of the heart. The only symptoms I had initially were a “strange tingling” sensation that went straight up my chin and dizziness. I waited several hours until my wife came home. She told me I didn’t look “well” and asked me if I still wanted to attend a planned graduation reception that evening. We went to the reception and while there the radiating pain into both sides of my jaws began. I became extremely pale and sweaty, followed by chest fullness.
My wife, a nurse who ironically teaches advanced cardiac life support, looked at me a said “my God it’s an MI”.

My EKG in the ER was stone cold normal. However pressure was near 200 systolic but my rate was dropping into 40’s. It was 48 hours later after my stent was placed that my EKG actually began indicating a cardiac event (not to mention the PVCs I was throwing).

Interestingly enough, every other coronary artery was fine with less a 30% narrowing at the worst in any of them. For some reason (most like a combination of inflammation and unstable plaque formation) I suffered a plaque rupture that totally occluded that circumflex branch. If on the LAD, I may not be here today.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Generally speaking an EKG won’t show significant change unless there is some kind of cardiac muscle damage or “death”. The reason Selma says “they will lie to you”. It can take days for that damage to be picked up on the EKG, if ever.

I had a complete occlusion of the circumflex branch that feeds the posterior portion of the heart. The only symptoms I had initially were a “strange tingling” sensation that went straight up my chin and dizziness. I waited several hours until my wife came home. She told me I didn’t look “well” and asked me if I still wanted to attend a planned graduation reception that evening. We went to the reception and while there the radiating pain into both sides of my jaws began. I became extremely pale and sweaty, followed by chest fullness.
My wife, a nurse who ironically teaches advanced cardiac life support, looked at me a said “my God it’s an MI”.

My EKG in the ER was stone cold normal. However pressure was near 200 systolic but my rate was dropping into 40’s. It was 48 hours later after my stent was placed that my EKG actually began indicating a cardiac event (not to mention the PVCs I was throwing).

Interestingly enough, every other coronary artery was fine with less a 30% narrowing at the worst in any of them. For some reason (most like a combination of inflammation and unstable plaque formation) I suffered a plaque rupture that totally occluded that circumflex branch. If on the LAD, I may not be here today.
I have battled CAD for years but have been fortunate to have stable plaque or would not be here reading this thread. As I watch and read from the preventive cardiologist out there it appears the CV inflammation and the resulting plaque rupture is the primary cause of these events in otherwise very healthy young men. I tend to believe that for me lowering my A1C and preventing inflammation is the key to staying out of the ER or worse. Practically speaking however, I am not sure how much further I can go lifestyle wise to have a perfect glucose levels on a 24 hour a day basis.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I have battled CAD for years but have been fortunate to have stable plaque or would not be here reading this thread. As I watch and read from the preventive cardiologist out there it appears the CV inflammation and the resulting plaque rupture is the primary cause of these events in otherwise very healthy young men. I tend to believe that for me lowering my A1C and preventing inflammation is the key to staying out of the ER or worse. Practically speaking however, I am not sure how much further I can go lifestyle wise to have a perfect glucose levels on a 24 hour a day basis.
More and more studies point to the role of inflammation in heart attacks. About half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol. And we see people with very high LDL and triglycerides that live their entire lives and never experience an MI. It seems to point to a combination the type LDL (particle size, number & “stickiness”) and inflammatory responses. Treating inflammation may be as important if not more important than treating cholesterol.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
More and more studies point to the role of inflammation in heart attacks. About half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol. And we see people with very high LDL and triglycerides that live their entire lives and never experience an MI. It seems to point to a combination the type LDL (particle size, number & “stickiness”) and inflammatory responses. Treating inflation may be as important if not more important than treating cholesterol.
Yep, inflation has been rough on my heart, too. :wink:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
More and more studies point to the role of inflammation in heart attacks. About half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol. And we see people with very high LDL and triglycerides that live their entire lives and never experience an MI. It seems to point to a combination the type LDL (particle size, number & “stickiness”) and inflammatory responses. Treating inflammation may be as important if not more important than treating cholesterol.
My HDL is actually over 100 and my LDL is down around 30. My CRP is less than one. So, yeah, it's the type of LDL...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Cruel coincidence - I’m at an ER right now with CP and a numb/tingling left arm.
Prayers appreciated.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Selma...I’m thanking God that you are under medical supervision...and praying that you will be cared for properly, and that whatever the problem may be, He will be holding you within His loving arms...and covering you with His limitless compassion and mercy. I also pray that you have your own dialog going with Him as well, my Friend. Let us know as soon as you know...I’m sure that, as more and more people here read this post...your prayer-chain will continue to lengthen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok....EKG is good “but”....slight movement on the 2nd one. Because I’m 49 and never had my rush assessed, they’re keeping me overnight for observation. Stress test and cardiologist tomorrow. Risk factors are male and 49 but no family history of MI.

I’m reluctant to come to any doctor but carefully considered alternative and drive to nearest hospital rather than where I work. Labs are negative. No details on CXR yet.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.