Former Vols RB Reggie Cobb Dies At 50 of Heart Attack

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ennessee-football-running-back-131378587/Amp/

On Saturday afternoon, the Tennessee football family was struck by tragedy when news broke that former Vol running back Reggie Cobb had passed away at the age of 50.
Cobb, a Knoxville native, was a local star at Central High School for four seasons. He played at Tennessee from 1987 to 1989 and appears in the top 10 of several of the program’s all-time rushing records.

=======

I’m 15 months younger than Reggie and remember him playing in another time when Alabama-Tennessee was the best rivalry in the SEC.

I won’t lie - this one hurts and hits close to home.

The dude was a good player and, in fact, was drafted by Ray Perkins.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ennessee-football-running-back-131378587/Amp/

On Saturday afternoon, the Tennessee football family was struck by tragedy when news broke that former Vol running back Reggie Cobb had passed away at the age of 50.
Cobb, a Knoxville native, was a local star at Central High School for four seasons. He played at Tennessee from 1987 to 1989 and appears in the top 10 of several of the program’s all-time rushing records.

=======

I’m 15 months younger than Reggie and remember him playing in another time when Alabama-Tennessee was the best rivalry in the SEC.

I won’t lie - this one hurts and hits close to home.

The dude was a good player and, in fact, was drafted by Ray Perkins.
Well said! I'm just a few months shy of 50 myself. Hits close to home and I agree that I enjoyed watching Cobb play in those days. One of the things I miss about those years is the good, respectful rivalry we had with UT. Probably the best in football for years. Then Fulmer came along.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I had a MI sitting at my desk in my home office 4 years ago this month at age 54. I was possibility the best shape of my life at the time. I had ran my best time every in a 10k the week before and had worked out the night before without any symptoms.

And almost half those having that first heart attack don’t survive it.

So so sad to hear about Reggie. Prayers for his family in the days and week’s ahead.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had a MI sitting at my desk in my home office 4 years ago this month at age 54. I was possibility the best shape of my life at the time. I had ran my best time every in a 10k the week before and had worked out the night before without any symptoms.

And almost half those having that first heart attack don’t survive it.

So so sad to hear about Reggie. Prayers for his family in the days and week’s ahead.
You are very lucky and so am I. Six years ago, I had 20 minutes of extreme heartburn. When I got to the ER, courtesy of a MD friend, who came and took me, my wife being out of town, I had a normal EKG and slightly abnormal enzymes. At the other, main, hospital, with different values, my enzymes would have been considered in the normal range and I would have been sent home to die later, because my LAD (widow-maker) artery was 99.9% blocked. I had what is called an "atypical presentation" of an ACS (acute coronary syndrome). I didn't have an MI and had no damage, but I had been getting by on collateral circulation for a long time...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You are very lucky and so am I. Six years ago, I had 20 minutes of extreme heartburn. When I got to the ER, courtesy of a MD friend, who came and took me, my wife being out of town, I had a normal EKG and slightly abnormal enzymes. At the other, main, hospital, with different values, my enzymes would have been considered in the normal range and I would have been sent home to die later, because my LAD (widow-maker) artery was 99.9% blocked. I had what is called an "atypical presentation" of an ACS (acute coronary syndrome). I didn't have an MI and had no damage, but I had been getting by on collateral circulation for a long time...
Wanna know the VERY first thing they taught us at med school on EKG day?

Big letters in the handout - "EKGs WILL LIE TO YOU!"

About 20 years ago, there was a woman at the base bowling alley that I saw almost every day. One morning I went in and she told me she was going to base her decision on what I told her. I had not taken cardiology or anything at that point - and I defer to the conservative side of "take an NSAID and see if that makes it better."

But she said she had an irritating pain in her left shoulder. I told her that if I was her, I would go. She had an AMI sitting there in the doctor's office - and they saved her because she was there. I didn't see her for a couple of weeks, but when I suddenly did she told me what had happened and how thankful she was.

The scariest part?

She was the same age then that I am now...........

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is undoubtedly what happened to my dad. He had very bad heart burn on Wednesday evening which he chalked up to food he had eaten. He thought he had a mild case of food poisoning. He went on with normal life and that Sunday evening at church he collapsed, bp was 70 over 40. He had an artery on the back of his heart (not sure if that's the widow-maker or not) that was 100% blocked. They got a stint in, but his heart was too damaged to pump blood. I Facetimed him before they took him back for surgery as I was not going to make it in time to see him. I would have sworn he was going to be ok.

A lesson learned is to never assume its just heart burn.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.