Will Blazer's Comments Get Any Traction (about Bama football)?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Will Blazer's Comments Get Any Traction (about Bama football)?

Re: Will Blazer's Comments Get Any Traction (about Bama football)?

A little discussion about this in the basketball corruption thread (start here). No reason at this point to expect anything to come of it. The UNC case he referenced was handled by the NCAA a few years back. He doesn't provide names, so it's hard to know if the NCAA has already ruled on some of what he alluded to.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Depends on the statue of limitations and the overall power of the NCAA. But itís a little worrisome that the words Alabama football and pay for play are linked in a federal court testimony

IIRC, these dates fall outside the NCAA's statute of limitations.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Twitter was quite entertaining last night about this, especially about how some of the schools weren't getting much for their money, especially Pitt.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Depends on the statue of limitations and the overall power of the NCAA. But itís a little worrisome that the words Alabama football and pay for play are linked in a federal court testimony
    I get the feeling this was stuff that may have already been addressed, with folks discussing the UNC situation, I feel more confident that it is.

I do believe that stuff like this will become even less transparent over time. As long as institutions like Nike, Under Armor, and Addias are involved, I don't see how it goes away any time soon. JMO

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    IIRC, these dates fall outside the NCAA's statute of limitations.
    If itís 5 years, then it does......... of course with the NCAA, who knows

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

As long as you have college athletes who may one day turn pro...and need agents...this will go on. Doesn't mean the schools knew about it or did everything they could to stop it. Just means that it is a reality of collegiate athletic life in the "money sports."

Saying the payments stopped in 2014 is interesting...or at least not admitting to anything beyond that. Just beyond the statute of limitations. Sounds like the testimony was designed to stir the pot without getting the schools into trouble.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
    If itís 5 years, then it does......... of course with the NCAA, who knows
    Yup... NCAA has the disclaimer they can go back as far as they want to prove a pattern of wrong doing. I'm not worried about Blazer's comments but....
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

Would suggest listening to the Dan Wetzel interviewed linked in the basketball thread. He discusses how unlikely more coming out during the trial is.

As far as Northwestern goes...

Corey Wootton said he didn't take cash — or free lemonade — when he played football at Northwestern
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I hate that he mentioned Alabama, but I am not worried. First, he has not named players and there is no infraction without names. Second, the statute of limitations has passed, and they would need something significant to bypass that.

That said, Blazer said that he wired the money to the players, so there would be a clear paper trail if this is investigated by the courts. That is the kind of stuff that we don't need further damaging the sport that we love.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAVILLE View Post
    I get the feeling this was stuff that may have already been addressed, with folks discussing the UNC situation, I feel more confident that it is.

I do believe that stuff like this will become even less transparent over time. As long as institutions like Nike, Under Armor, and Addias are involved, I don't see how it goes away any time soon. JMO
    AAU basketball is the dirtiest game in town. I think we might see the 7 on 7 become as bad.

Anyone at this point that believes that many elite college players ( to include those at Alabama) are just coming for a quality education, a chance at a title, and a shot at the pros is either naive or just holding onto their beliefs that college sports are pure.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; April 24th, 2019 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    AAU basketball is the dirtiest game in town. I think we might see the 7 on 7 become as bad.

Anyone at this point that believes that many elite college players ( to include those at Alabama) is either naive or just holding onto their beliefs that college sports are pure.
    A few years ago 7 on 7 looked to be getting near AAU levels, but it seems to have died down. Now it's mostly just high school teams rather than travel teams.
    -- Coach Bryant