Social Security is headed for insolvency by 2035, government says

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The financial condition of the government’s bedrock retirement programs for middle- and working-class Americans remains shaky, with Medicare pointed toward insolvency by 2026.

That’s the word from the latest report by the government’s overseers of Medicare and Social Security. It paints a sobering picture of the programs, though it’s relatively unchanged from last year’s update. Social Security would become insolvent in 2035, one year later than previously estimated.

Both programs will need to eventually be addressed to avert automatic cuts should their trust funds run dry. Neither President Donald Trump nor Capitol Hill’s warring factions has put political perilous cost curbs on their to-do list.
Social Security is headed for insolvency by 2035, government says

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So does this mean giving medical coverage to every person, even if they aren’t a citizen, is a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Last week (on Wed. actually), I got my 9th SS deposit since applying for my retirement benefit last July.....and was thinking just how lovely it was.

I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

That is all......:p

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
So does this mean giving medical coverage to every person, even if they aren’t a citizen, is a bad idea?

Of course not. It's a fantastic idea. Just as is giving social security to those who haven't paid into the system or giving them more than one has paid in. Warren's plan to forgive all government backed student debt is another wonderful idea. Open borders too. A living wage is also brilliant.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Every politician:

Nobody wants to touch the situation as it is political suicide. Cut benefits from one side or the other (depending on your flavor) and you can all but guarantee the pendulum will swing madly the other direction with knee jerk voting and adverse campaigning.

Time to realize the American people are a cash cow being ridden by both parties.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Two separate problems. SS can be fixed with a tweak. Medicare, not so much. However, it continually surprises me that people actually think that they are not paying for medical care for everyone, when they are paying for it in the most expensive way possible - through the ER. Every public hospital's largest line item is unreimbursed care...

Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Two separate problems. SS can be fixed with a tweak. Medicare, not so much. However, it continually surprises me that people actually think that they are not paying for medical care for everyone, when they are paying for it in the most expensive way possible - through the ER. Every public hospital's largest line item is unreimbursed care...

Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

When it's truly free, why go anywhere else ? No appointment necessary.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Agreed. One of those issues pushed down to the states via the 10th. ;)

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Of course it is. It’s a pyramid scheme that’s gotten top-heavy. It’s simple: decreased birth rates + increased life expectancy + skimming from the till for unrelated pet projects = insolvency.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Of course it is. It’s a pyramid scheme that’s gotten top-heavy. It’s simple: decreased birth rates + increased life expectancy + skimming from the till for unrelated pet projects = insolvency.
Fantastically correct, but let's add:
1) people thinking it's a pension plan (it's not, it's a supplement) and living their lives as if that's true
2) CPI indexing
3) war concurrently killing fewer Americans, who live longer
(400,000-plus in WW2, 33,000 in Korea, 58,000 in Vietnam......by contrast with fewer than 8,000 in both Afghanistan and Iraq)

The first Social Security check was made out to a woman who had paid something like $18 in her life in Social Security tax. She lived to be 100 and got something like $22,000 from her $18 investment.

Hell, I'd love that kind of return on anything.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Fantastically correct, but let's add:
1) people thinking it's a pension plan (it's not, it's a supplement) and living their lives as if that's true
2) CPI indexing
3) war concurrently killing fewer Americans, who live longer
(400,000-plus in WW2, 33,000 in Korea, 58,000 in Vietnam......by contrast with fewer than 8,000 in both Afghanistan and Iraq)

The first Social Security check was made out to a woman who had paid something like $18 in her life in Social Security tax. She lived to be 100 and got something like $22,000 from her $18 investment.

Hell, I'd love that kind of return on anything.
So it is her fault?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So it is her fault?
Let me think about that one....

No, it's obviously not her fault (most folks didn't live to be 100 in 1937......hell, most don't live that long today).

But that's kind of the point of the whole problem with Social Security - a lot of people actually believe that myth that basically we all have a bunch of savings accounts into which we paid which we then get back. I know that when Reagan was involved with the problem when they made the changes in the early 80s, the AVERAGE person was drawing five times as much as he or she put into the fund.

At the same time, Earle's correct in that fixing that one is easier than the Medicare problem. I don't know all the details but about ten years ago my old man sat down and calculated that if you just raised every American's tax one penny per hour (40 cents a week for the union guys), you'd solve the problem. I'm not gonna lie and say I put pen to paper on that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's that easy. Washington is where they get re-elected to NOT fix problems.

One more point - I DO agree with the late Jack Germond that it's going to take a courageous second-term President who cannot be punished by the voters for what he's doing to fix it. Of course, he (or she) is also going to need the input of the Congress........and how many are willing to do that?

In 1983, a bipartisan coalition appointed by Reagan and Tip O'Neill managed (for a time) to resolve some of the problems of Soc Sec.

I cannot even imagine there being any kind of bipartisan consensus that could solve this in today's political climate. We no longer have liberal Republicans (Weicker, Javits, Hatfield, Packwood) or conservative Democrats (Boren, Nunn, Bentsen).......and the centrists in both parties can be counted on one hand. I watched several years ago when Chris Dodd was on one of the morning news programs (none of which I ever watch btw, so it must have been in 2005) and a Republican (Lindsey Graham, I think). Dodd absolutely WOULD NOT acknowledge that they were going to have to either raise the age or benefits as time goes along.....and Graham absolutely WOULD NOT consider tax increases in exchange for these concessions (that Dodd wouldn't make).

I mean......how do you solve a problem with those entrenched positions? And it's even worse now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.