Will Blazer's Comments Get Any Traction (about Bama football)?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
investigate what? 10 years old crap. NCAA usually does not investigate stuff over 4 years old. Paper trail? I'm not so sure, he says he has no reciepts for these wires. I would have keep those for sure. OK, who does this involve? can't say? why not? My biggest red flag is that this is part of a plea deal to mitigate jail time. This smells, could be true but i'm doubting it.
By the simple fact his use of UNC is accurate, his testimony is at least a little credible.

Why would he keep receipts of the wire transfers? That's just more of a paper trail. To be honest, he should have only worked in cash.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
investigate what? 10 years old crap. NCAA usually does not investigate stuff over 4 years old. Paper trail? .
Correct, but its not the biggest issue in this revelation. It gives insights to what kinda folks Alabama is dealing with, and could be very useful to a dirt digger to unearth some shady stuff Alabama does by directing them to the proper landfill

Paper trail? I'm not so sure, he says he has no reciepts for these wires. I would have keep those for sure. .
The point is not to have a paper trail so I really doubt there is one for most bagmen. I mean hell, Ole Miss didn't really have one, it was more about a rival player ratting on them mixed with some very curious circumstances that happened.
My biggest red flag is that this is part of a plea deal to mitigate jail time. .
Even so, it is basically a good warning to everyone not to be using these guys while the FBI is snooping these guys.

This smells, could be true but i'm doubting it.
doubting what? That Alabama (like everyone else in college football) passes money to recruits, or that they dealt with this guy? For the former its pretty obvious that its true; for the latter its anyone's guess but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is true.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
By the simple fact his use of UNC is accurate, his testimony is at least a little credible.

Why would he keep receipts of the wire transfers? That's just more of a paper trail. To be honest, he should have only worked in cash.
My hope is that the age of the transgressions means that the programs can ignore it, or at least offers an excuse for ignoring it. No school wants to dig into this, because this guy is not lying. A single lie in his testimony would invalidate his plea deal. He may or may not have receipts for the wire transfers to offer as proof, but we really don't want to find out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My hope is that the age of the transgressions means that the programs can ignore it, or at least offers an excuse for ignoring it. No school wants to dig into this, because this guy is not lying. A single lie in his testimony would invalidate his plea deal. He may or may not have receipts for the wire transfers to offer as proof, but we really don't want to find out.
I would be more concerned about phone records than wire and receipts. Most bagmen do use burners, but you have that occasional idiot in the group. The reasons receipts aren't important is that most of this stuff is done in cash, and most of the times from several untraceable sources.

I think a good documentary to watch is the foul play series on youtube by sbnation to see how bagmen work. It follows the whole Ole Miss scandal. I would link it if it wasn't for language.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It does.

Not it to mention the fact that there’s no real evidence here.

But I’ll say this: I absolutely believe him when he said Bama players got paid. At the same time, he could have named any school in the conference. Anyone entertaining any notion of purity with regard to any major CFB program is living in fantasyland. I’m not throwing stones from my glass house.
Aye - anyone who believes that there aren't players receiving illegal benefits at every serious D1 school is fooling themselves...

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018

I believe the UNC scandal was academic related, not paying recruits.. so this guy says he paid 10 grand to a player to stay instead of going pro. WHAT? A decent player would make a lot more than that in a signing bonus. You keep the reciepts in case u need them. This whole thing smells to high heaven, show me some evidence, not just testimony from a guy making a plea deal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe the UNC scandal was academic related, not paying recruits.. so this guy says he paid 10 grand to a player to stay instead of going pro. WHAT? A decent player would make a lot more than that in a signing bonus. You keep the reciepts in case u need them. This whole thing smells to high heaven, show me some evidence, not just testimony from a guy making a plea deal.
Wait, you really want to see evidence that this happened?

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
Wait, you really want to see evidence that this happened?
This is the age in which we live. YES i want to see evidence if we are to convict these guys in the court of public opinion. I hear this all the time on sports talk radio, EVERYBODY does it, OK fine, if everybody does it, seems easy to show some proof. I don't doubt that funny business goes on, Two words for you. USSC justice Kavanaugh.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why are you hung up on receipts?

Did Logan Young have receipts?
The FBI investigation led to the criminal conviction on February 2, 2005 of Alabama booster Logan Young for paying $150,000 in cash to Lang through 1999 and 2000 in order to have Means play football at Alabama. Lang and Kirk also received criminal convictions for their roles in Means' recruitment.
No

Did Ole Miss's multiple bagmen have receipts? No

More often than not, many of these deals are done in the back of a jalopy with a bag of cash. Pretty much it means its off the books. How this whole 4 year case broke was that the FBI caught Blazer in a Ponzi scheme with professional athletes. There are very little "receipts" uncovered, but a lot of schools (to include Alabama) are complying without "receipts".

So unless you think Byrne was just keeping Colin Sexton out and firing the basketball director of operations for the hell of it since no "receipts" were there proving Blazer, I think there is way more truth to Blazer's testimony than you wish to believe. And it really speaks to the seriousness of this testimony.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
This is the age in which we live. YES i want to see evidence if we are to convict these guys in the court of public opinion. I hear this all the time on sports talk radio, EVERYBODY does it, OK fine, if everybody does it, seems easy to show some proof. I don't doubt that funny business goes on, Two words for you. USSC justice Kavanaugh.
Blazer said this under oath. Wire transfers. If he was lying - and that’s easily verifiable - he opens himself up to a potential perjury charge. Fact of the matter is he probably has receipts.

Last edited:

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
Why are you hung up on receipts?

Did Logan Young have receipts?

No

Did Ole Miss's multiple bagmen have receipts? No

More often than not, many of these deals are done in the back of a jalopy with a bag of cash. Pretty much it means its off the books. How this whole 4 year case broke was that the FBI caught Blazer in a Ponzi scheme with professional athletes. There are very little "receipts" uncovered, but a lot of schools (to include Alabama) are complying without "receipts".

So unless you think Byrne was just keeping Colin Sexton out and firing the basketball director of operations for the hell of it since no "receipts" were there proving Blazer, I think there is way more truth to Blazer's testimony than you wish to believe. And it really speaks to the seriousness of this testimony.

I'm not hung up on receipts, just give me some evidence besides the testimony of a guy trying to mitigate a prison sentence, before we assume it's all true.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not hung up on receipts, just give me some evidence besides the testimony of a guy trying to mitigate a prison sentence, before we assume it's all true.
If it wasn't then why did Byrne fire a basketball director of operations, and tell Avery to sit Colin Sexton? I think the point is that it is true enough to take it seriously.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I don’t see how you ever hold a school culpable in this stuff unless coaches/admins knew and did nothing or participated in the handouts. ESPECIALLY if they have a reliable compliance program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t see how you ever hold a school culpable in this stuff unless coaches/admins knew and did nothing or participated in the handouts. ESPECIALLY if they have a reliable compliance program.

The problem is answering the question(s) "Do you really want to find out" and "Do you really feel safe with dirtdiggers scavenging around a landfill that we just passed by"

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
If it wasn't then why did Byrne fire a basketball director of operations, and tell Avery to sit Colin Sexton? I think the point is that it is true enough to take it seriously.
My bad, i thought we were talking football, one has nothing to do with the other. My point is I want to see some evidence, not the testimony of somebody trying to save their own skin. It may be there, but we have not seen it. BTW, i saw saban at a strip club here in atlanta last week. I don't have any proof but this needs to be investigated, it's the seriousness of the charge. LOL This is a lot like McCarthy and his boys back in the 50's.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My bad, i thought we were talking football, one has nothing to do with the other.
Do you not understand what is going on? Because they actually do have everything to do with each other in THIS CASE

. My point is I want to see some evidence, not the testimony of somebody trying to save their own skin.
He would be in far more trouble if he was caught lying. So I don't see where wrong and false information would be beneficial to him

. It may be there, but we have not seen it.
Fine then show me the actual evidence in the Ole Miss case... There was about 90% witness testimony that brought them down. Bagmen are usually bagmen because they are good at paying folks without anyone connecting the dots. But usually what happens is one gets caught with illegal crap not related to the subject, and starts squeeling on the other bagmen. Its basically what has happened here. But he is mostly outing people like Nike and Adidas who are funneling money through schools to players. So it is proven and credible evidence that this guy has provided so far. So there is no reason to really doubt that he has had dealings with Alabama before.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The UNC scandal in question isn’t academic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

If I understand this correctly you're exactly right. He wasn't paying players to come to a certain school, he was paying them so they'd choose him as their agent. The timing of these payments and who the players were would be interesting to know. We all know that our compliance department is all over our kids. I know we all have nightmares about the NCAA looking down that barrel again but I don't see this going anywhere.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.