Will Blazer's Comments Get Any Traction (about Bama football)? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Will Blazer's Comments Get Any Traction (about Bama football)?

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    We already have a more or less free agency in college football already. There aren't very strictly enforced rules regarding who can play immediately anymore after transferring after seeing Fields, Martell, and Patterson being declared eligible.
    Part of this is if we see a gradual evolution, or a rapid change. A rule change like allowing endorsements (which would at the same time allow inducements) or just outright allowing players to be paid would send shockwaves through the sport, the magnitude of which we've never seen.

It isn't that I disagree with any of your points or even your position, it's just the domino effects that I think could get out of hand very fast.

For example, even the private universities have to comply with Title IX which states that an equal amount has to be spent on female athletes as is spend on male ones. Even allowing endorsements (inducements) would likely run afoul of that. It would end up before court with one arguing the male players are being paid more via the endorsements. Obviously though the NCAA itself, and the public universities might not go along with this anyway, so even just with the endorsement rule you could end up with bifurcation (as it stands now the SEC doesn't allow active professional baseball players while most conferences do).

So what then? You do get the breakaway from the NCAA that a lot of people want, but you also by necessity end up with a breakaway from the universities as well. You can't become free of Title IX without being free of the university itself. So how does that work? Let's say the University of Alabama signs on with this, what sort of agreement has to be made? They'd have to agree to dissolve their football program, and without breaking any laws figure out how to give access to the stadium to the newly formed professional franchise. Of course some schools could end up on regretting the choice, so in theory you could end up with an amateur and professional Alabama team, and the likelihood is that one or both of those would be a failure.

It's so very complicated because we have a public university with Title IX obligations, and copyrights, and all this sort of thing, and there's also the NCAA and so on. I can't figure out a way to make it work within the current model, so we're left with the breakaway scenario I already mentioned. It's just so messy, and even something seemingly benign like an endorsement deal could be enough to start unraveling things. As long as money changing hands remains hidden, it's not a provable violation of Title IX.

I'm not kidding in that a major change to this situation could require an act of congress.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; April 25th, 2019 at 02:06 PM.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

I don't know, man. Based on the video, you might need to conduct a review of more than just your basketball program.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    will be interesting to see if this has any legs since it would make it seem like the program knows and is either facilitating or covering up the payments.
    Former Bama assistant Yasir Rosemond was also on tape today making similar comments. Not great.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Former Bama assistant Yasir Rosemond was also on tape today making similar comments. Not great.
    Especially in light of former associate AD Kobie Baker being mention previously in the FBI investigation.

We all getting ours.
    Just a barner.

Confirms my school isn't listed

The scumbags! Death penalty for all the cheaters!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    We all getting ours.
    Bright side, they can't give us all the death penalty.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    That would be called creating a new league, heh.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-SEC

Yeah, that statute of limitations thing may well help out........

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    That would be called creating a new league, heh.
    fingers crossed.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    Another solution: NBA and NFL create a "minor league" that HS players can go straight into, just like baseball. I may be wrong but, you don't hear about this stuff in college baseball. Probably because the top prospects are not forced to go to college if they don't want too, they can jump right into the minors and earn some money (not much, I know but, it's something).

As longs as college football and basketball are a road block to the pros, you are going to have pay for play scandals. There is too much money to be made and these players are too valuable for "amateur" sports.
    I agree with players being allowed to go straight to the pros but that is a pro rule (though the colleges love and likely pushed for those rules).

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    That's pandora's box though.

Amateurism will not and can not end entirely. From little kids, to high school, amateur sports have to exist because almost all are not in any way profitable. They can't pay these kids to do something that isn't worth any money, that in fact requires outside money.

Alabama athletics had something like 30 million donated to it for the last year I saw. How much did any professional franchise get donated to it? I'm guessing nothing like that. If you break down the amateur model and then replace it with a professional one, you'll find that the entire enterprise is on shaky footing. It will have less funding (because who after all donates money to professionals), and yet be spending more money. Then you are getting closer to the same semi-pro model that sunk every football league that's tried it since the 60s.

It might make sense by itself, but it's a round hole square peg scenario. Once you get into the details it becomes one big giant mess, and could basically destroy the sport entirely (I know some Big 10 people are on record as saying they'd drop sports before they did this).

I think more should be provided for the athletes, I'm good with that. Stipends and such, in fact the total money spent on them already rivals what semi-pros make. But there's a chemistry at this point that is very delicate.

It also needs to be mentioned that a lot of college programs are losing money as it is...
    Just let them make money off their own name and likeness. It really is that simple.

If you look up the history of amateurism it is not a pretty picture. This "noble" thing called amateurism was never noble from the start. It was, in large part, begun to keep out certain types.

A stipend and the ability to make money off your own likeness would do.

Scholars are allowed to both get stipends and to make money in their field while in school. This is an important point because athletes are singled out against the rest of the student body and are prohibited from doing what any other student can do. This is not in any way fair when student-athletes are supposedly no different (we all know they are different in any case).

Athletes also cannot work a part time job to make a few bucks. I'm not sure if it's outright against any rule but realistically it's not possible anyway. Their time and effort devoted to athletics should be compensated if the money is there. For the big schools, it is there. The small school can keep up the charade or fold their tents. I really don't care. It's entirely up to them.

When I talk about being paid I'm talking about a stipend similar to what a scholarshipped student might receive for teaching a class or just for being on scholarship. If it's good enough for the student body at large, it's good enough for athletes.

Same goes for making money on their likeness. Bonus: NCAA Football comes back from the dead with this rule. Make a deal for a flat fee for every athlete. Allow them to run a youtube channel or sell their autograph. I could have done any of this as a student at Alabama. I'd still be just as poor, but I could have done it without penalty.

None of this would mean the end of college athletics as we know it, but college athletics would be more open and honest than today.

Ugh.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

For us, anyway, the fact that we seem to have already faced our worst with Chuck is a bit of a bright spot. I’d be on pins and needles otherwise.
    Just a barner.

Confirms my school isn't listed

The scumbags! Death penalty for all the cheaters!

Since the bball story first broke on this about a year ago I've been borderline giddy about it - if things keep coming out as I anticipate, the NCAA will have to either completely ignore it and hope people just forget or they've have to essentially self immolate. IOW, admit they're enforcement is a farce or do what the rules say and destroy themselves in the process.

Those who know me know I'm hoping for the latter but realize that since they make 90% of their money off college bball, they won't really harm it too much. And if they go after the football programs, the schools might just decide they've had enough and do what they should've done 30 years ago and start their own thing, sans NCAA.

Either way, this hurts the NCAA, which pleases me to no end. The Boz was right.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; April 26th, 2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Since the bball story first broke on this about a year ago I've been borderline giddy about it - if things keep coming out as I anticipate, the NCAA will have to either completely ignore it and hope people just forget or they've have to essentially self immolate. IOW, admit they're enforcement is a farce or do what the rules say and destroy themselves in the process.

Those who know me know I'm hoping for the latter but realize that since they make 90% of their money off college bball, they won't really harm it too much. And if they go after the football programs, the schools might just decide they've had enough and do what they should've done 30 years ago and start their own thing, sans NCAA.

Either way, this hurts the NCAA, which pleases me to no end. The Boz was right.
    As more comes out, I don't expect the NCAA to punish the programs. Maybe the coaches, but they can't punish all of the programs because this is including even the mid-majors.

*But* if they punish the coaches, they will end up punishing the schools, too.
    -- Coach Bryant