Game Thread: The 2019 NFL DRAFT - Round 1

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Irv was widely considered to be the 2nd or 3rd best TE and likely a 2nd rounder. Still wouldn't be surprised if he made it to the Pats. They usually stock up on 2nd round picks...a great round for value.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Irv was widely considered to be the 2nd or 3rd best TE and likely a 2nd rounder. Still wouldn't be surprised if he made it to the Pats. They usually stock up on 2nd round picks...a great round for value.
But a different type of TE than those who played for Iowa. He is going to be a big receiver in the NFL, not a blocker who occasionally catches passes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pats don't pick until 56 (24th pick in the round). I'm not sure Irv will still be there by then, especially with Oakland picking third.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
For those actually keeping up with the draft and combine for the past few months, it shouldn’t really be a surprise that Hockenson and Fant went over Irv.
Yeah, like I said, I don't keep up with it like a lot of you all do. Still... a school like Iowa having not one but two first round TEs? That's unusual. I don't doubt you all that these guys are good players.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Irv and the Iowa TE are very comparable in skills and combine stats. I think Hockenson was the clear #1 TE. But both Iowa TEs are 6-4 to Irv’s 6-2. Those two inches are huge in the NFL

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Irv and the Iowa TE are very comparable in skills and combine stats. I think Hockenson was the clear #1 TE. But both Iowa TEs are 6-4 to Irv’s 6-2. Those two inches are huge in the NFL

I love Irv and I think he'll be a good player but Fant and Hockenson are significantly more athletic than him.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yeah, like I said, I don't keep up with it like a lot of you all do. Still... a school like Iowa having not one but two first round TEs? That's unusual. I don't doubt you all that these guys are good players.
they also had George Kittle 2 years ago who is a good TE in the NFL now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

both of these guys wouldve been good enough to start at about 95% of the P5 teams. Hockenson is probably good enough to start at 100% of them

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Re: The 2019 NFL DRAFT

Seems like he could have traded away this pick and got this guy cheaper in the 2nd round.
I agree for the most part. But remember, first round picks are tied up for four years with a team option for the 5th year. From the second round on, the length is shorter. One analyst I heard in the last week or so said that some teams value that 5th year of controlling the player a lot more than other teams do.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Just for my own boredom... I looked up how many starting qbs for each superbowl in the last 25 years have played in and/or won a national championship as a starter...

1 national championship winner (Cam Newton) . Yes I know Aikman has 1 but he didnt start in one, its like saying Brady had one for 1997.
1 other quarterback start a national championship... Peyton Manning

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Just for my own boredom... I looked up how many starting qbs for each superbowl in the last 25 years have played in and/or won a national championship as a starter...

1 national championship winner (Cam Newton) . Yes I know Aikman has 1 but he didnt start in one, its like saying Brady had one for 1997.
1 other quarterback start a national championship... Peyton Manning
QB is not as important to championships in college as in the NFL. The college game is so different that this stat doesn't surprise me at all.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Sometimes the QB doesn't matter in the NFL either.
Yeah, some guy went through the Patriots and Alabama rosters for the past 5 years and saw that the Patriots have had less 4-5 star athletes and more 1 star athletes on their team than Alabama had all of last year.

I believe it really shows that fit is better than overall talent in the NFL.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Think about what could have been with Alabama's 2016 DL recruiting class...

Q, Raekwon, and Kendell Jones signed out of HS. Obviously, Jones didn't qualify but appeared to be a monster if he had gotten on campus.

Then, there's Jeffrey Simmons. Alabama felt pretty confident about signing him the night before NSD. Just imagine if he had signed and joined Q and Raekwon. Caveat being how Alabama handled his incident a year removed from Jonathan Taylor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.