Game Thread: The 2019 NFL DRAFT - Round 1

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Re: The 2019 NFL DRAFT

Yeah, some guy went through the Patriots and Alabama rosters for the past 5 years and saw that the Patriots have had less 4-5 star athletes and more 1 star athletes on their team than Alabama had all of last year.

I believe it really shows that fit is better than overall talent in the NFL.

What is the over/under on how many times espn tells us Brady was drafted in the 6th round?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Ye gods! Does he even watch football? Whenever we needed critical short yardage, JJ got the rock, not the bigger backs...
Those guys don't watch college football.

I'll guarantee you the only 3 Alabama games he saw all year were Georgia, OU, and Clemson.
We weren't running much in the first and last ones because we were trailing.

"Yeah, he had that one 59-yard run against UGA, but his other carries he only got 24 yards....."

"You can't really count Oklahoma, they don't have a defense...."

"He just didn't do much against that stout, physical Clemson defense..."

He's basing that off ONE game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Just for my own boredom... I looked up how many starting qbs for each superbowl in the last 25 years have played in and/or won a national championship as a starter...

1 national championship winner (Cam Newton) . Yes I know Aikman has 1 but he didnt start in one, its like saying Brady had one for 1997.
1 other quarterback start a national championship... Peyton Manning

I'm not sure I'd even say Peyton started one. By the time his game kicked off, Michigan had already won the Rose Bowl so even if he won, he wasn't going to win a national title.

But there's never really been a correlation between the two. Furthermore, I would submit that one flaw your data cannot account for is the drastic change in CFB over the last 25 years.

John Madden used to say, "College football is a running back's game while the NFL is a quarterback's game." Bill Walsh stated that the 2005 Orange Bowl romp of USC over OU was the movement of CFB from a run-oriented sport to a passing sport where it's no longer the Timmy Chang's throwing every down for Hawaii.

Bart Starr is a HOF NFL quarterback. His Alabama career was, well, let's say "less than stellar." He was only in the NFL because of a friend of a friend at Alabama.

It's not true that any name out of the phone book can play NFL QB and win the Super Bowl. More often than not, you need a pretty decent passer. But the right situation can still give you a ring.

Did anyone thing Mark Rypien was a phenomenal QB? No, but he had that one good year and got the ring.

Note also: Notre Dame QB's are perpetually overrated. Whoever signed Rick Mirer and Brady Quinn to pro contracts should be hung at high noon.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I'm not sure I'd even say Peyton started one. By the time his game kicked off, Michigan had already won the Rose Bowl so even if he won, he wasn't going to win a national title.

But there's never really been a correlation between the two. Furthermore, I would submit that one flaw your data cannot account for is the drastic change in CFB over the last 25 years.

John Madden used to say, "College football is a running back's game while the NFL is a quarterback's game." Bill Walsh stated that the 2005 Orange Bowl romp of USC over OU was the movement of CFB from a run-oriented sport to a passing sport where it's no longer the Timmy Chang's throwing every down for Hawaii.

Bart Starr is a HOF NFL quarterback. His Alabama career was, well, let's say "less than stellar." He was only in the NFL because of a friend of a friend at Alabama.

It's not true that any name out of the phone book can play NFL QB and win the Super Bowl. More often than not, you need a pretty decent passer. But the right situation can still give you a ring.

Did anyone thing Mark Rypien was a phenomenal QB? No, but he had that one good year and got the ring.

Note also: Notre Dame QB's are perpetually overrated. Whoever signed Rick Mirer and Brady Quinn to pro contracts should be hung at high noon.
I remember that Mirer was "the next Joe Montana".

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

In the past 25 years (key word past 25 years because Aikman would have more SB wins and Elway would have more losses) Qbs taken in the top 5 picks are 8-9 in Sbs, and yet qbs taken in the 4th round and later are 9-9. Granted Brady brings up that stat with 9 supeberbowl appearances but it is also worth noting that the Manning bros are the only repeat qbs in the top 5 category to return to a superbowl. If you take Peyton and Brady away then Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner have made more appearances than any other quarterback in the last 25 years and neither was a Top 5 let alone a top 10 pick. It also makes the Top 5 appear in 13 SB while the rest appears in 24.

I think my overall point is that the NFL is a "fit" sport and not a "most talented draftee" and " most successful player at his position in college" sport. The Top 5 is usually a flavor of the month type pick that rarely leads to anywhere because they "dont fit well" with the team that they go to because most of these teams are in such dissarray already that they earned a top 5 pick. There are odd exceptions in which the top 5 picks are sane picks, but lets be honest your game changer picks usually comes Pick 6-64 more than pick 1-5.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Neither did that Sooner DB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems to me he is plenty physical enough...................he will truck quite a few people in the NFL

Some of these draft experts are saying that Ed Oliver is a better defensive player than Quinnen Williams...............I don't see it

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Because of weather and Friday night, more people in attendance at tonight’s draft! NFL hit a home run taking the draft on the road! My prediction- 250,000

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.