Game Thread: The 2019 NFL DRAFT - Round 1 - Page 17
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Re: The 2019 NFL DRAFT

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I remember that Mirer was "the next Joe Montana".
    I remember when Ron Powlus was going to win 3 straight Heismans. RIP, Beano Cook.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Rivals National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell with a horrible take on why he is not "a huge Josh Jacobs fan"...

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1121609649386663938

Neither did that Sooner DB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I'm not sure I'd even say Peyton started one. By the time his game kicked off, Michigan had already won the Rose Bowl so even if he won, he wasn't going to win a national title.

But there's never really been a correlation between the two. Furthermore, I would submit that one flaw your data cannot account for is the drastic change in CFB over the last 25 years.

John Madden used to say, "College football is a running back's game while the NFL is a quarterback's game." Bill Walsh stated that the 2005 Orange Bowl romp of USC over OU was the movement of CFB from a run-oriented sport to a passing sport where it's no longer the Timmy Chang's throwing every down for Hawaii.

Bart Starr is a HOF NFL quarterback. His Alabama career was, well, let's say "less than stellar." He was only in the NFL because of a friend of a friend at Alabama.

It's not true that any name out of the phone book can play NFL QB and win the Super Bowl. More often than not, you need a pretty decent passer. But the right situation can still give you a ring.

Did anyone thing Mark Rypien was a phenomenal QB? No, but he had that one good year and got the ring.

Note also: Notre Dame QB's are perpetually overrated. Whoever signed Rick Mirer and Brady Quinn to pro contracts should be hung at high noon.
    In the past 25 years (key word past 25 years because Aikman would have more SB wins and Elway would have more losses) Qbs taken in the top 5 picks are 8-9 in Sbs, and yet qbs taken in the 4th round and later are 9-9. Granted Brady brings up that stat with 9 supeberbowl appearances but it is also worth noting that the Manning bros are the only repeat qbs in the top 5 category to return to a superbowl. If you take Peyton and Brady away then Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner have made more appearances than any other quarterback in the last 25 years and neither was a Top 5 let alone a top 10 pick. It also makes the Top 5 appear in 13 SB while the rest appears in 24.

I think my overall point is that the NFL is a "fit" sport and not a "most talented draftee" and " most successful player at his position in college" sport. The Top 5 is usually a flavor of the month type pick that rarely leads to anywhere because they "dont fit well" with the team that they go to because most of these teams are in such dissarray already that they earned a top 5 pick. There are odd exceptions in which the top 5 picks are sane picks, but lets be honest your game changer picks usually comes Pick 6-64 more than pick 1-5.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    Neither did that Sooner DB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seems to me he is plenty physical enough...................he will truck quite a few people in the NFL

Some of these draft experts are saying that Ed Oliver is a better defensive player than Quinnen Williams...............I don't see it

Because of weather and Friday night, more people in attendance at tonight’s draft! NFL hit a home run taking the draft on the road! My prediction- 250,000
    to 16 and beyond........

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

The 2019 NFL DRAFT - Round 1

2019 NFL Draft - Rounds 2 & 3 thread NOW OPEN!

Go there to discuss rounds 2 & 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Because of weather and Friday night, more people in attendance at tonight’s draft! NFL hit a home run taking the draft on the road! My prediction- 250,000
    good job nashville, nice town, good people